Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-10, 06:21

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%
Default gaining weight

ok I think I may have figured out why there aren't many people in the SP forums. I have been following the diet for ~ 2 wks and have gained 4 lbs! I know she says you probably will gain weight but this is getting really hard to accept. Has anyone gained weight and then lost weight? I'm so scared that I will just keep gaining and never lose weight. I'm seriously considering switching to a different plan (again, ugh)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-10, 23:34

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 125/140/135 Female 167cm
BF:
Progress:

I have read some old threads here and it seems that there are many people who have first gained and then dropped. But it takes time and may not be easy to accept. I recommend you to read the pages of gaining weight and success stories (in the first 8-10 pages you will find many).

I have now been on Schwarzbein about 6 months and have gained 13 pounds. Of course I'm anxious about that at times, but everything else (mood, digestion, skin, cold tolerance etc.) has improved so much that I want to believe I'm still losing those ones in the future. On the other hand, I'm in the middle of my ideal weight scale now, so the gain has most probably been only a part of a healing process. In my country I know some who have first gained and then dropped, and some who have gained now pretty much without a drop but only a stop in a gaining procedure. But the common thing is that almost everyone has started feeling better! Must remember it is a healing program, not a weight-loss program in the first hand though.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-10, 10:47

Stats: 138/143/130 Female 64.5 in
BF:
Progress: -63%

I gained about 10 pounds, but my measurements didn't change. So, I would say that I was gaining bone and muscle mostly. Also, my belly size went down a bit and it does look like I'm losing fat.
Try to track your size measurements instead of the weight. That's what really matters anyways, right? If you are gaining size, then you might want to cut back on the carbs a little bit to see if that makes a difference.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-09-10, 14:31

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
ok I think I may have figured out why there aren't many people in the SP forums. I have been following the diet for ~ 2 wks and have gained 4 lbs! I know she says you probably will gain weight but this is getting really hard to accept. Has anyone gained weight and then lost weight? I'm so scared that I will just keep gaining and never lose weight. I'm seriously considering switching to a different plan (again, ugh)

Hi AimeeJoi,

If losing weight is your only motivation, then Schwarzbein is not for you.

I have been following Schwarzbein "properly" since last summer. I have gained weight - but mostly because of other misdemeanours, like drinking beer and having too many carbs - but otherwise feel a whole lot better!!!

I had worn-out adrenals and my energy levels were terrible; I was dizzy and light-headed for about two hours most mornings; I had no energy during my exercise class; brain fog and poor concentration were permanent companions.

Now I feel a whole bunch better!!! I am now about 60% back to normal, I would say, and am able to lose again by lowering my carbs to a tad under what she recommends for me.

So, if you have the kind of problems that I did, then Schwarzbein could work for you. The weight loss comes after the healing.

amanda
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 09:18

Stats: 125/140/135 Female 167cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by talervo
Try to track your size measurements instead of the weight. That's what really matters anyways, right? If you are gaining size, then you might want to cut back on the carbs a little bit to see if that makes a difference.

In my case, the first 6-8 pounds came without a change in measurements but the last 6 can also be seen in my lower body and unfortunately in waist.. I'm still pretty hourglass-shaped and in normal weight area, but I admit that it bothers when the former trousers don't fit anymore. On the other hand, I was neatly underweight before, so it may not be a bad thing to "widen" a little bit.

But what I wanted to comment on was the amount of carbs. I tend to think that I should be stiffer and very easily start to diminish my meal sizes and carb amounts, but under stress my experience is that I can't go on without the proper amount of carbs (120-180 g/day) without experiencing irritability and problems with my mood especially. The thing is that I don't really know what to do. Should I just believe in Schwarzbein and not care about the bigger-size-pelvis or should I eat less carbs and stand the possible worsening of the mood?

My view is still that Sbein wanted us to eat enough and eat enough carbs also, not to lose weight. But of course I don't want to become an elephant within a year, because that could also make me feel bad about my life.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 12:20

BF:

With the irritability did you try to go for a week or more with about 20g/meal and <10g per snack? It could be that you're experiencing the withdrawals of a carb addiction. With the other plans they say it takes about a week to get over the withdrawals (irritability, headaches, etc).
Also, the size and weight increase in about 2 weeks indicates water rather than fat or muscle. If you go low enough in the carbs you will lose the water weight. That is what happened to me initially. I followed the 20 g per meal plan.
The other thing you could do is a food journal to see if you are reacting to any specific food. For example, if you have a dairy intolerance (to the protein, not the lactose), your body may respond by increasing mucous and retaining water. If you cut out the high protein dairy (cheeses and milk) you could see the water weight disappear.
Hopefully this helps.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 12:32

BF:

Oops, sorry Stash. I thought you were the original poster.
You said 13 pounds in 6 months and more weight in the lower body.
The lower body weight seems to be happening to me (that is where a lot of my muscle gain is happening) and I also have the hourglass body type. I see the lower body as a good thing since studies show that women with a more pear shape have less health problems (??).
Also, my butt got much rounder. Could that be what is happening to you? Some of my pants don't fit the same because of this. I happen to like this since I think a rounder butt is younger looking.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 08:37

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi all, I've been on SP for a month (more serious effort now) and I have not gained but I have NOT lost either.
I'm actually down a pants size and I feel great energy wise.
I do not eat nearly as much fat as she allows. For a woman in menopause, I think she is wrong about the fat levels- its TOO MUCH fat. My belly fat won't budge. That is upsetting me.
Other than that, I feel good. I eat very low carb - no grasses (wheat, oats, barley, rice, etc.) I get carb from blueberries and strawberries, some yogurts.

I just wish there was some secret to getting the belly fat to move off!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 14:46

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am not on this lifestyle but I would like to share my experience...that may help.

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in December. I notice that when my glucose levels are normal...I gain weight. That is bizarred indeed. What's even more bizarre. I lost an inch off of my waist. I am beginning to believe that if it doesn't make sense, then you must be doing something right :-/
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 01:29

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I am not on this lifestyle but I would like to share my experience...that may help.

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in December. I notice that when my glucose levels are normal...I gain weight. That is bizarred indeed. What's even more bizarre. I lost an inch off of my waist. I am beginning to believe that if it doesn't make sense, then you must be doing something right :-/

Hi there!

Well, that is good to know!!!

amanda
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 10:03

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 186/164/150 Female 67"
BF:
Progress:

Hey AimeeJoi, if you are doing everything she recommends, it may be a while before you see the weight lose. But do stick with it, and don't cheat. Your body shape will change before you see the weight drop. And if you are gaining, it may be bone and muscle, which you need for health. The fat will not come off until you are healthy on this plan. But it WILL come off. Good luck, it has worked for me. Feeling great, but still dropping pounds.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-02-11, 22:17

Plan: Schwarzbein & Anti Fungal
Stats: 260/250/150 Female 5 ft 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPlover
Hey AimeeJoi, if you are doing everything she recommends, it may be a while before you see the weight lose. But do stick with it, and don't cheat. Your body shape will change before you see the weight drop. And if you are gaining, it may be bone and muscle, which you need for health. The fat will not come off until you are healthy on this plan. But it WILL come off. Good luck, it has worked for me. Feeling great, but still dropping pounds.

Hi, Thanks for the encouragement. If you don't mind my asking, How long did it take for you to start losing weight? I have been on this program for 10 months - I lost weight from the start, but suddenly stopped weight loss after losing 30 lbs. Now I have gained back 5 lbs and I am still going up in weight.

The weight loss stopped when I entered menopause, and I wonder if that is what has caused it. Or it could be that I started exercising after being on the program for 8 months. I don't exercise a lot, but I do moderate, pilates 3 times per week. I am stumped because everything seemed to be going so well. Now I am getting discouraged and am looking for some fresh encouragement. So glad to see your post!

I am thinking I should just keep doing the program and it will all work out in the end. What do you think?