Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 08:56

Plan: atkins/warrior
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

just wanted to say hello to all the pa lowcarbers! hope you all have a great weekend!
becky
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 10:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm thinking of moving to Pennsylvania in a few years when I retire. Around Harrisburg or York.
Anybody want to talk me out of it-lol.
I know winters might be harsher then I'm used to but the land and the area seem really nice.
I'm in northern Virginia now ,DC metro area, but I'm tired of it all. I moved here from Oregon.
I can afford things that are for sale up there now with my equity so a freeK&clear house in town sounds good to me.
And there is a volkswalk club in Harrisburg-if I ever get back to walkies.
Anyway your state looks like a great place to me.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 06:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/245/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: -7%

if you are into the Amish, I say go for it! If the idea of fighting horse and buggies in traffic doesn't make you shy away, go for it! If you don't get grossed out by seeing blood pudding in the supermarket, go for it. If the smell of horse manure doesn't bother you, go for it. Honestly, I would probably think of going there to retire. I think it is a much better choice than Florida.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 09:16

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm pleased to have the Amish as neighbors- I've been in worse traffic jams for less reasons-I didn't think Harrisburg was all Amish
though. Thanks for info.

I'm planning a vacation trip up there to check out some of the towns.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 06:01

BF:

Harrisburg itself isn't amish, I was being humorous, but the surrounding areas are amish and/or farm land. I honestly do like it there. I don't care for where I live now, close to Philly, it's too ghetto for my liking. I lived in Westmoreland County in Western PA for a long time and I loved it there. It was clean, quiet, but not too farmesque' AND it was rather inexpensive. Good luck on finding the perfect spot
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 07:33
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hope you all don't mind me jumping in here. I was raised in Ephrata, PA (Lancaster County) but am now living in Alabama. Looks like you and I are opposites, Phyllis! I was just up in Ephrata last weekend for a graduation. Gosh I am jealous of you people who can buy Diet Turkey Hill Iced Tea. I would give anything if they sold that in Alabama!
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 08:04

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary M
Hope you all don't mind me jumping in here. I was raised in Ephrata, PA (Lancaster County) but am now living in Alabama. Looks like you and I are opposites, Phyllis! I was just up in Ephrata last weekend for a graduation. Gosh I am jealous of you people who can buy Diet Turkey Hill Iced Tea. I would give anything if they sold that in Alabama!

Good Morning, Hilary,

Where in Alabama are you living?

I've never tried the Diet Turkey Hill Iced Tea... will have to look for it now. Is it canned, bottled, or powdered?

Well, if you grew up here then I'm sure you have friends and family here that can ship you "care packages". That's what I have to do. I get HEB jalapeno queso (like velveeta but it is white with jalapenos... to die for), canned mild whole jalapenos (for my jalapeno, cream cheese, and bacon appetizers), and jalapeno cornbread mix (for hush puppies) shipped from my niece in Texas. I get jalapeno cornbread mix, yellow cornbread mix, yellow cornmeal, pioneer bake mix, and yellow grits from my Mom in Alabama. Mom also brings frozen shrimp, peas, beans, venison, etc. when she drives or flys. Of course, I always buy losts to bring back when I visit.

She lives on the Gulf Coast, Orange Beach, and there is a place called Old Time Pottery that has really great and cheap housewares... also a couple of kitchen gadget shops in the outlet mall that are really cheap... I always buy a lot when I am home... last time I bought so much that I had to ship two boxes back to myself.

Anyway, if the tea is powdered, it would be inexpensive to ship. If it is canned or bottled, it would probably not be very economical.

Phyllis
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 08:42
Diet Cokeaholic

BF:

Hey Phyllis. The tea is pre-made, sold in gallon or half-gallon containers. Once in a while Mom ships me a single-serving bottle, but mostly I just get my fill while I'm up North visiting. It's got caffeine and aspartame, so it's probably for the best that I can't drink it all the time anyway! But if you can find it in your area, check it out! Mom also brings me venison and hamloaf when she flies down — hamloaf might be a Lancaster County thing but we don't have it down here for sure. I always laugh at her bringing a carryon full of frozen meat on the plane.

I currently live in a little town called Vincent, and work in Birmingham, which is about a 15-mile drive. We lived in Tuscaloosa for two years when we first got married, as hubby was still in school.

Tons of people have told me to visit Old Time Pottery, but I haven't made it there yet. One of these days I am going to have to check it out!
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 16:39

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Ummm ... what IS hamloaf. LOL. I am a Philly boy ...
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 07:09
Diet Cokeaholic

BF:

It's an Amish/mennonite ham-based meatloaf. I think it's half ham, half pork, ground up and mixed with some spices and you bake it in a loaf or meatballs. Sounds gross but I swear it's yummy!
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 07:18

BF:

I think I remember having that as a child, but didn't know what it was called. It is pretty good.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 10:23

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hilary,

Too bad, it can be expensive to ship heavy "stuff". The only reason I can have heavy "stuff" shipped is that it will fit in the "all you can fit in the box for one price" priority boxes. I will look for the tea and give it a try. You know how Southerners love our "Swwweeeet Teeea"! (I know that most people reading this thread won't understand the "Swwweeeet Teeea" reference... but you, having lived in Alabama, will.

My Mom/Dad and one of my Aunt/Uncles have several rolling coolers dedicated entirely to flying various frozen meats and vegetables back and forth... shrimp, oysters, crab, and vegetables from Alabama to Washington and salmon and other fish from Washington to Alabama.

Concerning the hamloaf: when you say 1/2 ham and 1/2 pork, do you mean 1/2 ground precooked/smoked ham and 1/2 raw ground pork? Just curious.

I'm not familiar with Vincent but I grew up (prior to high school) in Columbiana, which is about a 1/2 hour drive from Birmingham (or was when we lived there... I'm sure Birmingham has grown since then). I grew up (high school years) in Demopolis which is about an hour drive from Tuscaloosa. I went to school in Tuscaloosa, as well... which was very dangerous since I was actually an Auburn fan. (I was the black sheep of the family... everyone else are Alabama fans.)

Is your husband originally from Alabama? If so, how did the two of you meet?

Oh... when you get a chance, you must visit Old Time Pottery!!! It is wonderful!!! If there is one close to you, the day after Thanksgiving they have a huge sale and if you get there before a certain time (I think 7 a.m.) you can get a coupon for an additional 20% off everything you purchase that day. It has become a family tradition for my Mother's extended family... all the ladies go together at 6 a.m. and shop until we are all ready to leave... then we go have breakfast together. Most everyone else is within a days drive of Mom so they all buy LOTS of stuff... sadly, I am limited by what I can fly or economicly ship back. I wish we had one here.

Have a great day, everyone!

Phyllis
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 12:19
Diet Cokeaholic

BF:

Sorry to hijack this thread, everybody!

Phyllis, I'm not sure exactly but I think you are correct on the hamloaf. It's a very Lancaster-county dish, apparently. At the butcher counter you just buy raw "hamloaf" and it's already mixed up, but there are recipes to make it yourself if you're so inclined.

Vincent is on the other side of 280 from Colombiana. We're very close to Harpersville; kinda halfway between Birmingham and Sylacauga. My husband is from Mississippi; he went to UA and I was in college in Ohio. We met online back in 1999. Crazy to look back now and think "did I actually do that?"

Mmmmmm, sweeeet teeeea!
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 14:11

BF:

hi there pa buds! hey I was wondering what you guys would think about getting a group together sometime. maybe towards the end of the summer?
i think it'd be great to put some faces with the names.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 04:08

BF:

I'd totally be up for it but I have to find out what the schedule is for meeting up with a couple of other people in August that I already have prelim plans with. I know I usually go to Hershey Park for Halloween if anyone is interested.