Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 10:01

Plan: Low carb/Atkins
Stats: 230/205/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Rev Rolls...... Move on over! Try this.

I accidentally discovered this tortilla type recipe while I was cooking jalapeno popper's today. This is the recipe for jalapeno poppers I used http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jalape...s-I/Detail.aspx Instead of milk I used cream, and instead of corn flakes, I used grated mozarella cheese, garlic powder, and finely crushed pork rinds. (I also added a few Hormel bacon bits on top). After these were cooked, I noticed that some of the breading remained on the cookie sheet after baking and it had a bread like consistency. So this is what I tried:

In a bowl I combined an egg, about 1 T cream, several T of grated mozarella, garlic powder, finely crushed pork rinds, and stirred. This was about the consistency of pancake batter. I then poured this mixture on a baking sheet sprayed with pam. It came out to be about the size of a tortilla. I spread a little bit of Hormel bacon bits on one side to see what would happen. Then I cooked this for about 15 to 20 minutes until the edges were brown. It came out so good! It looked like a tortilla and held up like a tortilla. It also had a good flavor to it, and it would fold over without breaking.

I wonder if I had cooked it longer if it would have been crispy? Just experiment with the batter a little until it is slightly thickened.

Candyless.

Last edited by Candyless : Thu, Feb-01-07 at 10:15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 12:06
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Yum!! Sounds good!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 15:25

BF:

I decided to cut it in half and leave the other half in the oven a little longer and it turned out crisp, like a cracker.

Candyless
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 17:03

Plan: 00000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0000
BF:
Progress: 38%

How much of the crushed pork rinds did you use for the "tortilla"?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 08:34

BF:

I tossed in a handful of porkrinds. Maybe 4 or 5 total.

Candyless
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 02:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Mock French Toast. Crushed pork rinds and eggs, a bit of sweetener and vanilla. Cooked like a pancake. Invented by Rani Merens many years ago. Great cooking minds think alike and reinvent the good stuff!

I use a plain or savoury version of this to make a Monte Cristo. I make 2 thick squared "pancakes", melt cheese and ham and maybe thin tomato slices between them. VERY filling and delicious.