Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 11:16

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 197/150/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Fibro Questions

Hello everyone, I am Sherry from Sask Canada. I have been an active low carber for a couple years and have all but met my goals.

This is not about me however. Its about my mom. Mom has Fibro and a couple years ago I researched Guiafinasen (sp?) and we started her on it. It helped her tremendously. However, I am not sure whether her body is becoming immune to the Guif or not over time, but she is certainly having a rough time of it these days. I am wondering whether she should maybe increase her Guaif but she has such awful stomach problems that the Guaif just sits in the pit of her stomach and causes her all kinds of grief as it is just to take it.

I have talked to her about low carb and she has seen how my stomach and various minor health ailments have disapeared since starting this woe, but I don't have enough good information about low carbing and Fibro to state an accurate case to her. She said "I can't eat salads and broccoli etc, its too gassy for me" I told her. "if you were on low carb, your stomach would heal all that" but I lack the information needed.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 18:33

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Your Mom

Hi, Starmaker...

Yes, Fibro does respond in most people to low carb.

And broccoli actually heals the stomach. It may not feel like that at first, but it will.
Also, tell you Mom she does'nt have to eat all the vegs raw. I nuke my broc for about 45 seconds and add butter and salt. Yum!!

Same thing with all the others. If she is sensitive, she can start out with cooked vegs until she feels better.

I have not made my goal yet, but I have been on this diet before. By the time I met my goal then, all my fibro symptoms were gone! It was really wonderful, but strange. I had become so use to having pain every day, that I think I went into shock! Before low carb, my tummy was so sensitive, I couldn't even stand to lay on it, or have anyone touch it. My whole intestinal area. That also disappeared with low carb.

I wish you luck with you Mom. I know it is hard to change what you have been taught for so long.

Read through this board and you will find other inspiration!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:34

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 197/150/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default So appreciative

Thank you Thank you Thank you for responding, I will look for more posts regarding the same.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 19:17

Plan: don't know yet
Stats: 127/127/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default fibro

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
Hi, Starmaker...

Yes, Fibro does respond in most people to low carb.

And broccoli actually heals the stomach. It may not feel like that at first, but it will.
Also, tell you Mom she does'nt have to eat all the vegs raw. I nuke my broc for about 45 seconds and add butter and salt. Yum!!

Same thing with all the others. If she is sensitive, she can start out with cooked vegs until she feels better.

I have not made my goal yet, but I have been on this diet before. By the time I met my goal then, all my fibro symptoms were gone! It was really wonderful, but strange. I had become so use to having pain every day, that I think I went into shock! Before low carb, my tummy was so sensitive, I couldn't even stand to lay on it, or have anyone touch it. My whole intestinal area. That also disappeared with low carb.

I wish you luck with you Mom. I know it is hard to change what you have been taught for so long.

Read through this board and you will find other inspiration!

HI, Do you know where I can get an actual diet plan for fibromyalgia?
Jan
Canal Fulton, Ohio
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 12:35

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Hi, Jan.

Sorry, but I don't know of any diet book out there for fibro, although there probably is one.

Most of my information is anecdotal. Doctors put patients on low carb for other things (usually weight) and suddenly their fibro also stops flaring.