Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 280/165/165 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, do not take supplements until you get a tailored plan. Hair analysis results are only valid for 6 months. After that time period (and I re-test most of my patients after about four months) your nutritional requirements can and often do change.

The best help for your adrenals is to eat something (preferably a good protein source like nuts and seeds or a good non-sweetened protein powder shake supplement) every two to three hours you are awake.

Your adrenal glands are responsible (among many other functions) for maintaining your blood sugar balance in-between meals. To take this responsibility off of their shoulders you should eat the every two to three hours. This will give them a chance to rest and rebuild.

You should also supplement with a good WHOLE FOOD supplement form of Vitamin C. The reason for this is that the adrenals store most of the body's excess Vitamin C so when the adrenals are fatigued, you don't have the Vit. C you need in your body.

Use a whole food supplement as this is the form your body is used to getting vitamins from nature. Synthetic vitamins cause health problems. No one should ever take them. (These are the kinds of supplements places like Wal-mart sells.) They are made from chemicals instead of from nature.

Also I don't recommend crystalline vitamins. These are vitamin complexes that have been broken down and have had the co-enzymes and co-factors removed. The crystalline form of vitamin C is ascorbic acid. If the vitamin C is listed as being in this form only, then don;t buy it. Crystalline vitamins are stimulatory in nature but will not let you repair and rebuild.

But get a tailored plan as adrenal fatigue can set off a myriad of health problems in the body.

Good Luck.

KajunDC
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 17:34

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Thanks for the input, KajunDC.

Have you treated many people with adrenal fatigue in your practice? As I am sure you are aware, getting regular GP's to treat it is almost an imposibility. I got to a gp who is also an osteopath and she seems to take it seriously enough.

It sounds like you are not recommending low carb for someone with adrenal fatigue because of the added stress. Am I reading this right? That has not been commented on before in my case, so I am wondering if that is an oversight or lack of knowledge on someone else's part.

Thanks.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 12:01

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Update...

Just wanted everyone to know how much better I am doing!

Originally, I wasn't supposed to use licorice, but the only bovine adrenal gland I could find here had the licorice already in it. So, I ended up getting it anyway.

I'm doing so well, I am wondering if I should even get more when this bottle is finished. Will decide that later.

More later.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein/SBph1/PP/myown
Stats: 204.5/189/140 Female 5'5"
BF:Of course!
Progress: 24%
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajunDC
. . .The best help for your adrenals is to eat something (preferably a good protein source like nuts and seeds or a good non-sweetened protein powder shake supplement) every two to three hours you are awake.

Your adrenal glands are responsible (among many other functions) for maintaining your blood sugar balance in-between meals. To take this responsibility off of their shoulders you should eat the every two to three hours. This will give them a chance to rest and rebuild. . . .

Thanks for the information. What is a "good non-sweetened protein powder shake supplement"? I have some whey protein powder. Can I make a shake supplement with it? I have high cortisol and am trying to figure out how to deal with it. Have been seeing my ND and DC and waiting to see MD (endocrinologist). But, I want to be very informed and make my medical decisions. Also, any books are articles that you think could be educational?