Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 01:17
Registered Member

Plan: Life Without Bread
Stats: 176/172/172
BF:12%
Progress: 100%
Default ANMA Monitor Article

Everyone:

The American Naturopathic Medical Association's quarterly publication "The Monitor" ran a very bad and biased article three issues ago called "High Protein Diets--Are You Losing More Than Weight?" This article prompted me to write my response article, "High Protein Diets--Separating Fact From Fiction" which was published in the following Monitor issue. This article is posted on my website.

Well, the author of the original piece wrote a rebuttal to my article which the ANMA ran in the next to last issue. I was not notified of the rebuttal.

Finally, in the current issue, an article called "Thinking Outside the Empirical Box" appears which is, basically, an attack on me for daring to question the validity and healthfulness of vegetarian diets. Again, I was not notified of the article before its publication.

The upshot is I've decided to author a reponse to this sappy journalism and need some help locating something: In the article, the author states that CoQ10 is found plentifully in plant foods like bran, broccoli, nuts, and sesame oil, therefore, eating animal foods for CoQ10 is unnecessary.

While its true that small amounts of CoQ10 are in some plant foods like spinach and peanuts, the most plentiful sources ore animal foods, particularly organ meats like heart and liver.

Does anyone know of a food/nutrient table that lists CoQ10 content of various foods? Or a source which would list amounts of CoQ10 in different foods? In my rebuttal, I'm going to point out that since CoQ10 is fat-soluble, it cannot be present "plentifully" in foods like bran (bran?!) and broccoli. I also wanted to list foods and amounts to show readers that plant foods are not good sources of this nutrient.

Please forward any sources to me at daxx404~hotmail.com.

You can read the Monitor online at http://www.anma.com. I'm not sure if the current issue has been posted yet.

Thanks much
Sponsored Links