Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 23:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Happy Moves

Silly title but I need this not to be formally exercise-focussed, or I’ll never visit again. I hate formal exercise, working out...but I like to move, float, play.

I decided to start this thread for myself after thinking about a text conversation with my very unhealthy SIL while I was walking in the rain. Yesterday was a mild, rainy fall day, bright leaves against grey sky. An errand I could have done driving, usually would have, but the mild air and long nights sleep made me just want to walk.

When she asked why walk, I answered using the word movement. Movement is healthy...mental and physical health. I said “Exercise does not interest me that much. But a walk among the trees and in the weather makes me happier.”

And that description has prompted me to think about tracking movement, like I track food. (Uhhhh, maybe that’s why these logs are here?

I don’t like working out...exercise...and the times in my life I’ve done boot camp or had a gym memberships have always fallen apart. But there are activities I like and movement of the body I get a lot of pleasure from. I hope paying more attention to that pleasure, moving more often, and recording it will encourage me to move more. And try more types. I’d like to be stronger as well as fitter...

I’ll post once a week. Previous week’s moves
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 00:09

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Whatever it takes!

Keep on keepin' on!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 06:48

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Excellent! I also do not do any formal exercise. I think the only reason I would start would be to:

a) start my modeling career

b) rehab an injury

c) train for a specific movement or event (might work on one legged squats this winter for kitefoiling)

Since "a" is kinda out and the other two are not in constant demand, I've relegated myself to "Play" as well. I've almost wrapped up a year of recording all this play in my exercise log.

Play continues long after the dust is an inch thick on the brand new elliptical, incline bench, treadmill and band sets - at least that's the way it works for me.

Enjoy your Happy Moves !!

(my "funhog log")

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478608
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 09:02

BF:

Hey, thanks for the visit, guys!
I looked at both your logs and your success stories before starting this ... and your enthusiasm and clear enjoyment of what you’re doing are inspiring!

** week 1 Oct 29-Nov 4
Mon: yoga class
Wed: 30 min walk
Sat: 90 min walk
Sun: 60 min walk, yoga class.

Happy Moves for the future:
More walking..try to go for a lunch walk during the work week
Continue yoga 2x week
Return to leisurely, meditative swims
Dance more

Something to consider: “Train” (thanks, Thud) to be fitter so I can:
a) try out the Absolute Beginner hip hop dance class
...........this would require aerobics training
b) possibly ski in January 2019 (5.5 years after knee injury)
............this would require increased quad strengthening
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 09:20

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Love the name of your gym log! I am right there with you on doing movement that makes you happy. For me right now, that is figure skating and hiking. All my gym time is functional so I can do the things I love at a better quality.

It didn’t start out that way for me. It has evolved over the years. Time on the stair Climber so that I can do 250 stairs with more ease to see a gorgeous waterfall, I’m in. Kill myself for no reason other than exercise, I’m out.

I don’t get as much time on the ice or in the woods as I’d like. I am in the gym those other days to make those ice/wood times the best they can be. Just something to consider for the future.

Wishing you many more happy moves.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-18, 00:42

BF:

Week 2
Yoga didn’t happen...work ran late and the the long weekend brought other plans.
But
Wed walked 30 min at lunch
Thursday walked 30 min at lunch
Friday set up my standing desk at work and stood till about 2, tired legs so it must have been good for something (reminded me of the years I worked retail)
Sat walked in the sun and fall leaves for an hour, browsed in library and brought home three books
Sat i also raked leaves and did housecleaning for two hours ... maybe this seems like it shouldnt be one of the “happy moves” but it is. For 5 years after I tore my ACL, I didn’t run around the house getting the work done in the active, fast-paced way I like. I felt so old and worn down, to have to trudge up and down the stairs, slowly crouch to wash the fronts of cupboards, etc. Now I can put on music and work fast, feel my heart rate rise just a bit and the pleasure of getting things well and thoroughly clean.
Sunday - 3 hours housework - the whole house seems inviting and calm and restful, in being clean
And a 90 min walk around the lake followed by tea with a good friend.
This evening I had two drinks and decided to roam the forum on the exercise bike, slow and steady just to help burn off the alcohol before sleep. So that counts too.
Sunday
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-18, 00:45

BF:

Thanks for the visit and words of support, Renee!
I can imagine getting to the point where in “training” for fun stuff, or the functional work you describe...not there yet. But I want to be...which is a first small step.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-18, 09:41

BF:
Default Week 3

Week 3
As often, the minute I “try” to commit to something, I do less than I was before the serious little talk with myself. But recording here does at least force me to look at that.
1. I didn’t go to yoga. Even Sunday.
2. Walking: Friday walked 45 min at lunch
3. Used my standing desk at work all week. It makes me feel more energized and I’ve learned to move and not stand stock-still so my lower back and shoulders are less tense. This is a win. I figure I’m standing about 75% or 80% of the day.
4. Shortest weekend walk in weeks: only 30 min
I didn’t even do raking or big housework this weekend (that was last weekend) BUT I did sort through and organize a closet and got my jewelry set up so I can find things, did groceries and laundry and a light vacuum, remade beds and made chicken soup and a batch of protein muffins for DD’s week...so I was moving around and felt good and quiet in my head. The house is ready for the week and DW comes home today.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 10:41

BF:

Week 4
Goal: keep checking in.
I worked two 12 hour days and a Saturday afternoon.
I walked at lunch once this week.
I used my standing desk.
Full-on Nov rain and gloom all week. I’m using the happy light every morning. I’ve started some of the supplements...
Not a great week movement wise. But I did find a support group at the local community centre that offers educational workshops and 3 kinds of exercise (Land, Water or Wheels), for all genders, shapes, sizes, abilities...I have sent an email for information. I think I need something like this forum for exercise and fitness, I need support and scheduling...
It’s been two weeks since I was at yoga and I don’t want to lose that.
Goal: Wednesday 5 pm class this week. Walk at lunch every day.