Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 11:23

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%
Default Homemade yogurt question

If I use greek yogurt for a starter in my yogurt maker does that mean I will be making greek yogurt? I just ordered a yogurt making machine and I can't wait to start making yogurt. I have been spending so much money buying greek yogurt it is crazy because I love the stuff.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 11:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No. Starter is just the source for the bacteria. Greek yogurt seems to be made with whole milk and is drained of whey, so it has a lovely firm texture. Also, the longer you ferment your yogurt, the more sugar the bacteria will eat. On SCD they go for a full 24 hours, because the lactose sugars aren't allowed on the diet.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 14:22

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

what is SCD?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 15:21

I just got my yogurt maker and now I have to buy a thermonator (sp?). I am going to use Hoods Low Carb Milk. The direction say to use a non-fat powdered milk too but I don't want to. How will that affect it if I don't anyone know?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 15:39
Experimenter

BF:

what is SCD?
SCD Info
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 15:41
Experimenter

BF:

I recommend a digital instant read thermometer, they're much easier to use. I think the extra powdered milk gives you a little firmer texture and more lactose for the critters to eat.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 16:17

I just got back from buying a thermometer. The digital one was $15 so I went with the cheaper one which was $8. Nancy what is your opinion as far as not using the powdered milk? Will that make it turn out not as good?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 16:22
Experimenter

BF:

I don't know, I never added it myself. My Mom did though and her yogurt was always nicely solid. If you want to try to make greek yogurt, you should look at the ingredient list on a container of it and see what they used! I think the thick creamy texture is probably due to using whole milk and straining the yogurt afterwards.

God I miss Greek Yogurt!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 16:23

Thanks Nancy for your help!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 09:50
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I use a glass candy thermometer with no problem.

I also don't use any powdered milk. If I am in the mood for a really decidant treat, I'll replace 1-2 cups of the hood milk with heavy cream (I have a 4 cup maker). The higher fat content of the cream makes it so much thicker and mellower. Another idea is when the yogurt is made and cooled, strain with cheesecloth over night to make yocheese to thicken it up.

I just heat the milk on the stove till close to boiling, then I remove the pan from heat and put the bottom into a sink of cold water to help it cool. While I'm doing this I put 1/4 cup of yogurt into my maker (basically an incubator) to get the starter warmed to temprature and have the maker heated up. When the milk reaches about 110 I go ahead and put it in the maker and stir gently.

I leave it in the maker for at least 8 hours. Typically I'll make it in evening and leave it over night. The next morning I move it strait to the fridge without stirring or peaking, and by that evening I will have yummy yogurt for dessert.

My most recent experement in flavour was to add about a tablespoon of splenda sweetened jam. It really added some sweetness and taste to the yogurt with little carbs. I may make some more tonight, but last time I made yogurt it only took me 2 days to polish off the entire 4 cups as it was so darn good.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 11:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I use half and half. It's sublime.

and no powdered milk...EVER!

I've got a probe thermometer like the one Alton Brown uses, where you can set temperature alarms. So I set the first one for 178F, which is just under boiling. Turn the heat off then, and set the second alarm to go off when the temp drops to 118F. (This can take hours) Mix the warm milk into a couple tablespoons of yogurt in a big bowl (one with a pour spout, if you have one) and pour into individual cups or whatever container you have.

Incubate until the next morning, and move into the fridge.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 13:27
Experimenter

BF:

I have a probe thermometer too. LOVE IT!!!

If you're in a hurry to cool down the temperature you can always put your stuff in a sink with water (and ice cubes if you have them). It takes about 15 minutes if you keep changing the water.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 17:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayKNJ
I just got back from buying a thermometer. The digital one was $15 so I went with the cheaper one which was $8. Nancy what is your opinion as far as not using the powdered milk? Will that make it turn out not as good?

If you use the Hood's low carb milk, that's milk with the lactose taken out; if you use the skim milk powder, you're just adding the lactose back in (together with some whey and casein protein). Kinda breaks even.

I believe if you use a cream, like Half n Half or Light Cream (whatever's 10% milk fat in your area), you will then achieve a Greek Style yogurt, which is, by the way, 10% milk fat.

The starter instructions are just like many commercial processes for yogurt, they add the milk powder ("modified milk ingredients") to add thickness and get a more solid curd, mostly from the protein added (and a little bit from the extra lactose).

I'd go with the cream and let it sit longer out of the fridge, you'll get maximum lactose eaten and maximum set. The SCD link Nancy gave earlier in the thread explains a lot of this stuff in the making of yogurts.

Last edited by IslandGirl : Mon, Jan-23-06 at 02:20.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 17:35
Experimenter

BF:

I thought Greek Yogurt was just whole milk, but drained of whey, and that was why the milk fat was higher.

One question I have is, how is there enough sugar in Hood milk to feed the bacteria? I would have thought the beasties would starve in it.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 02:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I thought Greek Yogurt was just whole milk, but drained of whey, and that was why the milk fat was higher.

One question I have is, how is there enough sugar in Hood milk to feed the bacteria? I would have thought the beasties would starve in it.

I don't really know how much they actually need to do the job...can only try. I do know that folks have been making yogurt out of heavy cream (VERY low in lactose) and soy which has NO lactose. Thickening is a milk protein gelling characteristic, the lactic acid is a byproduct of the bacteria, so I don't know FOR SURE if lactose is the ONLY thing they eat, or even how much of it they need to do their jobs overnight to produce something yogurtlike.

Time for more research, methinks.

{and no, Greek yogurt is, in my researches anyway, a very thick and creamy high butterfat yogurt, maybe they have very rich milk without the cream removed as we do over here? Half n Half is literally half light cream and half milk (2%? homogenized? dunno, actually) and it's 10%.}

Labneh or YoCheese is what you get, in varying thicknesses, when you drain the whey from yogurt. The milkfat percentage is actually much the same, since it's still relative to the total caloric value including protein of the whole product. Depends on how much you had to start with in the milk product used to make the yogurt...

-=-=-=- later -=-=-=-

Ok, a quick search and some lowcarbfriends.com folks have actually made yogurt from the Carb Countdown and Heavy Cream (and used an unusual paper towel method to reduce the liquid separating out, but hey, draining would work too).

Check it out; it's interesting:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...ad.php?t=239680

Last edited by IslandGirl : Mon, Jan-23-06 at 02:37.