Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-18, 09:42

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default Gearing Up for Comeback

Hey.

So, I've done LC successfully in the past (Atkins, modified to allow nuts during Induction, because that's what works best for me!)

2014 saw some MAJOR depression... and 2015 was the year of 5 funerals. I went off LC.

Since then, I've tried a couple times to go back on, but would run up against a social schedule that included tons of potlucks... at the end of the day, when I had no chance to eat anything first, and often when I didn't have time to MAKE anything.

Yup, excuses.

Back in July (July 4, to be exact) I started having some big-time GI issues. With a tentative diagnosis of GERD, conventional wisdom said eliminate fats, especially saturated fats.

Even when I'm not LC, I know the importance of fats, so I questioned this... And found this board. I was told the advice was exactly backwards. I went back on LC, and felt relief!

Then I saw my gastroenterologist. I actually like him, and he didn't argue over my diet, but he DID want to test me for Celiac. I'd like to have an answer on that subject, so I agreed to go back on grains.

There's more going on (and being tested for) in that department, and I needed to get some cardiac testing first, AND I've had some STUFF going on, unrelated to health, that have cut into my time.... I've just now been able to get the labwork-testing done, and have my endoscopy scheduled for Friday.

So as of Monday (this coming week), I'll be back on LC. (Not today, because I need a payday and a shopping trip out of the way, first.)

Sadly, I'm not mentally as on-board as I was back in July. I'm TIRED right now... emotionally fatigued. I'm eating on-the-go a lot, and little things -- like getting to the bank -- seem exhausting. I know from experience how much attitude and "being there" mentally makes a difference.

I also know that it's so much easier when you've got a good support group. Being on a (now defunct) different LC support board MADE my success, last-time. I got so many cool recipes and ideas.... It's easy to get into a food-rut, and food-ruts and fall back on the handful of stuff you always do. Seeing some of the creative ways folks created dishes... I am not a strict recipe-follower, most of the time, but loved some of the creative ideas I found, and new ways to make "functional foods".

So... I'm back.

I'm not, strictly, starting today. And I don't yet know my start-weight... I need to fix my bathroom scale. (I think it needs a new battery. Hope that fixes it, because I love this scale!)

Come Monday, I'll wake up, and take my daily stats: Weight, measurements. I'll take a fist-full of vitamins/supplements (which I do when I'm taking care of myself... skipping them is the first sign I'm not). And I'll sip my BPC, and get back on-goal.

I KNOW what a difference taking care of myself makes. I know that when I'm eating right, I have more energy, and spend less time feeling like I'm going to die. (IBS is a thing... LC is the cure. At least for me.) YES, it's hard to find things to eat, some places. YES, weekends (when I'm usually scheduled within an inch of my life with no TIME to eat/make food, but lots of opportunity to eat carbs) will be a challenge. But back in 2012, when I moved to Florida, I got rid of all my fat clothes, and hadn't yet QUITE reached my goal weight, so was still "buying skinny" when I got new things. I have clothes in my closet I've literally never worn, because I was ALMOST down to that size when things started going so wrong. I'd like those clothes to actually get some wear!

So, I feel crummy right now, and my head's not in the game.

But very shortly, my body will be!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-18, 10:02

Plan: IF/KETO
Stats: 225/225/170 Female 5'9
BF:32%
Progress: 0%

Hello there, I to feel that my head is not in the game. I start new almost every day! I keep thinking "today " is the day and then before I know it something derails me , most of the times it is just plain lazy. I Want this so bad yet at times I feel that it is not fair to have to limit what I eat when I see what appears to be "happy Fat people" . I often give my self that excuse that I should just conform and learn to love myself as I am and stop worrying about my weight. Well that is what got me back up 60 pounds and back to feeling ashamed. I need help doing this and these boards in the past helped me get there so I am putting some blind faith into the hopes I find those uplifting members here. Today starts anew,(once again) but I want this day to be my "last" time to start. Looking forward to watching you as you journey again thru the same struggles.. Best of support to you. KK
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-18, 15:16

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you convince your subconscious it will guide you to your goals. Don't underestimate the power of the mind. When you talk to yourself do not use any negative terms. You do not want to lose weight, you want to get rid of it. If you lose something you will try to find it. If you get rid of something it is because you don't want it. Your conscious mind will not determine your fate. My Gerd went away as I lost weight. I also had previous success and then fell off the wagon. Our starting weight and goal weight are not that different. I am 71 so you are not going to let an old fart beat you.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-18, 22:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Thank you both for your honesty and willingness to speak to not being cheerful, ra-ra, go-go life changers. Sometimes it’s like that. Sometimes it’s not. There’s space for all here.

My story might be relevant. I spent at least a month reading the boards... that was my only change. But slowly the idea of getting in the game seemed ... possible. “Someday.” But not an ounce of faith it would “work.” I did think, though, that I would read the book. If I might try it, I would do it right, not based on what I remembered from previous “diets”.

My partner got sick, bed-ridden in early January 2016 and it occurred to me I could eat what I wanted with no discussion, at least while she was in bed. I started an Atkins two week strict induction with stubborn anger and lack of faith. I set out to prove that by doing it exactly as outlined in DANDR (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002) I would prove it wouldn’t work, and I could give up, give in to my “fate” as permanently emotionally exhausted, gaining 10 pounds a year, full of brain fog, irritability, no “spark” to motivate me to do anything other than the daily grind. What a relief to give in, having proven there was no point.

And in those two weeks I lost a bit (can’t remember, under 10 pounds, possibly 5) and started to feel a small amount of energy. Which meant there could be change. Which meant I had a choice.

Like for everyone, it’s been a journey that has been at least as much psychological as physical.

We’re here, you’re here.
Welcome.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-18, 11:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you don't get the celiac diagnosis, don't succumb to the belief that it isn't grains. I get all kinds of horrid intestinal things going on and I didn't pass the celiac test, but eliminating them (gluten especially) fixed a lot of problems.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-18, 06:41

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Oh, I KNOW that grains are horrible for me.

It's just that if I have a Celiac diagnosis, I

* Know how much higher the stakes are
* Have something to defend myself with when OTHER medical professionals complain about my diet. ("This is the food pyramid....")

I try to keep my focus on getting my HEALTH in order, and let the weight take care of itself.

I know this works, and that I will feel so much better once I'm committed and DOING it.

Certain things cause struggle. For example, I'd love to give up diet soda, but when I go out (which happens a lot), it is a constant struggle to get drinks that AREN'T soda. I can't get water. Well, I can... a little glass too tiny to get a full swallow from. And no refills (even at places where sodas are refilled when barely touched). If I ASK for a refill of water (which doesn't cost them anything) I'm treated like a beggar, while they gladly refill glasses with soda (which cost them money). And if I ask for iced tea, first I have to fight not to get sugar in it. (And often, they screw up and put a little sweet tea in the regular dispenser... I can taste it, it's gross to me, but they'll argue and insist that "that's not sweet tea".) And it is probably made much too strong, so I need to cut it with water, and that's another hassle.... and after a couple months, I give up and order "Diet, no ice", because I can get that without a fight.

Same sorts of struggles have hit me with the LC, the past handful of years. And mentally... I've got a lot going on right now. I'm in a perpetual state of one-straw-away from breaking point. I have been turning down all temptations to add one more thing to my plate, commitment-wise, for months. "I can't take on anything new until after the first of the year... Then, we'll see."

I'm worried. I'm worried about how I'm going to deal with the struggle to find food I can eat while traveling and in "hostile" environments. (And I have to spend time in environments that are actively hostile to and bitchy about LC. There's this one woman in particular, who works in a medical office, so thinks she knows more than anyone, gets really unpleasant really fast. And it's one of those situations where even though she may be rude, I cannot afford to be.)

And I'm frequently traveling, right now. On-the-road food can be rough, when you don't have time -- or resources, on one end -- to pack your own 'travel food'.

So this is where my mental reservations are coming from.

Of course, I know that my crappy (ie: carb-filled) diet is one of the things sapping my mental and physical energy. I know that -- physically and mentally -- I'll feel much better once I'm doing this whole-heartedly.

Tomorrow is my endoscopy. Today, I have to be out of town. This weekend.... this weekend will by my chance to rest, and gather mental resources to COMMIT to getting this right.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-18, 15:02

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1
If you convince your subconscious it will guide you to your goals. Don't underestimate the power of the mind. When you talk to yourself do not use any negative terms. You do not want to lose weight, you want to get rid of it. If you lose something you will try to find it. If you get rid of something it is because you don't want it. Your conscious mind will not determine your fate. My Gerd went away as I lost weight. I also had previous success and then fell off the wagon. Our starting weight and goal weight are not that different. I am 71 so you are not going to let an old fart beat you.

yes mind is very important . Also first 2 weeks, many many depression i remember. not only mind also body suffers. just hold on when 2 weeks finish everything becomes more easy.
i remember i couldnt even walk, sleep, talk with people. i was like a walking dead.
depends on person maybe you will never struggle . when starting period ends you will be very very happy.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-18, 14:24
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I know the LC works for me. In the last two years I've had non-stop life drama and gained 20 pounds again. I caved and joined WW with my brother and his wife more or less to see what they were promoting and to give them the feeling they were helping me. Peer pressure and low fat, carb heavy. Nope, It just didn't work for me, I couldn't get on board and spent more time calculating and counting. It was hard to find something interesting to eat out other than a salad and steamed veggies. I quit spending 50 bucks a month and with new motivation/goal to fit comfortably into a plane seat in February, I'm back on track.