Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 01:59

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Professor Manish Chand: 'I've lost two stone and reversed my type-2 diabetes'

Good to see yet another medical professional in the UK promoting low carb

Quote:
Professor Manish Chand: 'I've lost two stone and reversed my type-2 diabetes'

Professor Manish Chand, 42, is associate professor of surgery at University College London and consultant gastrointestinal surgeon at University College Hospital. He splits his time between Westminster and his family home in Chilworth, where his wife, Natalie, and their two children live.

‘Two years ago, I collapsed in the bathroom while I was shaving. But it didn’t cross my mind that I was having a heart attack. I was only 40 with normal blood pressure and cholesterol. I’d woken up with a pain in my left arm but just assumed I’d slept awkwardly. When the chest pains started and I couldn’t breathe properly, it still didn’t compute so I got dressed for work. A few hours later, having almost collapsed again on the Tube, I was on an operating table having three cardiac stents put in. After that, I was also diagnosed with type-2 diabetes – another shock.

'I’d played competitive rugby and tennis in school but when I became a doctor, the workload left little time for exercise. I started eating what I could, when I could, like a whole pizza late at night, because it was easy. I wasn’t sleeping properly and had a terrible sweet habit (I could eat a whole packet of Starburst in seconds).

'Since then, I’ve lost two stone by changing my diet and exercising and reversed my type-2 diabetes without medication. I also have more energy for surgery, which I need to be fit for. During a typical operation, I’m operating for 5-6 hours with no breaks – adrenalin kicks in and you don’t need water or food, but that makes it more important to be hydrated and fit before.

'Now I typically wake up at 5.30 and am in the gym for 6am five days a week. I alternate one day doing weight training – light weights to build lean muscles – and another running for about 45 minutes. I also do a weekly Pilates class – I used to think it was for old people but you can do up to 100 sit-ups in a class. I play weekly tennis now and can do a 90-minute drill without getting breathless, now that my arteries have been de-clogged.

'My diet is quite low-carb - I don’t eat any white bread (even though I love a baguette). You don’t have to have coeliac disease to notice that if you eat fewer wheat-based products and stodgy carbohydrates you’ll feel more energetic. There is no rocket science behind that but anecdotally, we often see patients with certain foods that give them diarrhoea or make them feel lethargic and that’s usually wheaty or stodgy carbs. I also hate eating late and try and have dinner when I get home around six. Leaving three hours before bed after your main meal is better for your gut health.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-...stone-reversed/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 07:09

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

x2

Quote:
'Since then, I’ve lost two stone by changing my diet and exercising and reversed my type-2 diabetes without medication

Will see how much push back focuses on the inclusion of exercise as the reason, rather than the diet change.

Change is coming fast for the UK. Hopefully the US is right behind.