Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 06:45
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Default It's the Insulin Resistance, Stupid!

just released on Youtube... great informative video by the great Prof Tim Noakes..

when we eliminate the carbs, the inflammation goes down and we feel fantastic....
It's the insulin resistance, stupid.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 07:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Love it, and it's part 1 of a series.

ETA: In my opinion, one of the most effective presentations of how humans have developed all of the markers of Insulin Resistance leading to CHD that have spiked to epidemic proportions since the 1960s. While the groundwork was established in the late 1950s through the 1960s, the implication of dietary fat has been extended through current times. The pharmaceutical and medical establishments have been built on these misinformed ideas and these hollow recommendations continue. Using triglycerides as a valid CHD marker has helped me understand that I'm heart healthy, using falling blood pressure as an indicator of achieving better health along with weight reduction makes all the difference for me today. And I agree with Jean, what better person than Tim Noakes to validate our hypotheses that relentless low carb coupled with healthy fats is the answer for those of us prone to carbohydrate-influenced hyperglycemia.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Fri, Jan-31-20 at 10:11.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 08:13

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Fascinating. Can't wait for the next installment. Who better then Tim Noakes to investigate the intersection of science, politics and ego.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 08:13

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

How I wish I had had this information in the 1980's

Not only was the internet in its infancy, so much research was not available on-line and there were no search terms useful to discover research on different diets.

It pains me to think that I left out all of this information in my own work. If I had only known!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 08:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dr Atkins was on the ball in the 1970's.....if only we knew to get his book....
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 12:02

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 260/220/220 Male 6' 4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Dr Atkins was on the ball in the 1970's.....if only we knew to get his book....

That would have been nice, but I was too busy being sucked into the hippie/granola-head vegetarian nonsense.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 12:45

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

The whole library of videos posted by Low Carb Down Under really is amazing. They have presentations from a few years' worth of conferences now, and generally like to drip feed them out once a week or so.

But yeah, nice to see Tim Noakes again as well. My hero!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 14:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
just released on Youtube... great informative video by the great Prof Tim Noakes..

when we eliminate the carbs, the inflammation goes down and we feel fantastic....
It's the insulin resistance, stupid.

Disheartening that doctors put their careers ahead of patient health.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 16:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Disheartening that doctors put their careers ahead of patient health.

I believe that the majority of the doctors have been convinced along with the majority of the population. Doctors are trained to treat, and when the constant mantra of the dangers of high cholesterol and LDL are repeated ad nauseum, you tend to buy into it. They are trained that these are the things one must do to help their patients achieve better health. Doctors hardly have time to validate research, and they depend on the research and "experts" to get it right. Most of the time, they're hearing all this from their friendly pharma reps who also have no clue. It's a mess.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 18:05

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

It amazes me how much research can be ignored if it doesn't support the opinions of those in influential positions. We see that in the nutritional guidelines that resulted in the My Plate garbage.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 05:03

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

What bothers me about medical education, is the lack of emphasis (expressed as hours of lecture time) devoted to the physiology involved in nutrition.

If medical students were given the information presented by Dr Noakes, their understanding of the nutritional causes of diseases would improve.

Depriving medical students of this information is criminal IMO.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 08:50

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm not sure if it's more important for physicians to know the dietary research or for nutritionists to be educated on it. My physician referred me to a nutritionist for dietary advice and i got the low-fat, high-carb propaganda.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 09:18

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I watched the entire video, which wasn't easy, because it consisted largely of Dr. Noakes parsing the results of early medical investigations into the causes of high cholesterol/high triglycerides. Kinda dry. Not yet discussed: the shocking history of suppression of said studies. Wait for the next video.

Still, seeing more and more online presentations of his and similar disclosures tells me that the tide is rising: dietary intervention such as low-carbohydrate nutrition (I mean REALLY low-carb) can be shown to reverse or prevent Type2DB, and other health threats.

Listen up, Docs!

Also, we are all being made vividly aware of the influence of industry on everything we think and do. "Buyer Beware" was never a more sinister caution.

It takes courage to point to the truth. The best evidence is to LIVE the truth, and let others see how it works.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 17:39

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I started listening, haven't gotten that far yet (but plan to), and stopped to check out his info on over-hydration from his comment on his book about it. Wow! Very important info there I had no clue about, having been told all the usual (wrong) information on that subject, too. Over-hydration can be lethal in some circumstances, so this is serious and worth a look.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 07:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
What bothers me about medical education, is the lack of emphasis (expressed as hours of lecture time) devoted to the physiology involved in nutrition.

If medical students were given the information presented by Dr Noakes, their understanding of the nutritional causes of diseases would improve.

Depriving medical students of this information is criminal IMO.

I agree. All of us have experienced DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENTS in all kinds of actual health, not just playing with lab markers. Which tends to indicate the giant role nutrition has to play in how the body works. Which also just seems to follow: or we'd be feeding rabbits hamburgers and cows on cake.

Which reminds me: I toured a state-of-the-art humane dairy farm a few years ago, and they have a full time nutritionist for the herd for the feed (to support the milk producing) as well as the grass they provide.

But it doesn't matter for PEOPLE.