Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-19, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 198/195/156 Male 69.5 inches
BF:26.5/26.5/21.5
Progress: 7%
Smile Coming back!

Coming back after slipping. Looking for support and encouragement from other Newbies or veterans to help me get back on track. I have been in the fold before and have had intermittent success. Started at 204, now at 190. Reached a low of 179, then let my celebration get in the way of my success. I run and exercise. There's a good food store 5 minutes walk away. I have to deal with my laziness as well. But I can do that. Looking for honest feedback and support on low-carb or Keto. I know sugar is my problem!! Thank You GREG
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 10:56

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

HI, Greg. Cute kitty in your avatar. Clearly you know what to do. Visiting this site often will help you keep on track, just because we're good company.

Sugar is definitely a problem. I'm not an addict, but once I get into the "just this once" pattern, I'm doomed. Christmas is a-coming.... Just say no. For me, that definitely means no alcohol, too.

Keto, or Very Low Carb, is my best friend. For one thing, it eliminates hunger. I don't snack, even on LC foods, and can skip meals to add a short period of "fasting" to my plan. If you want to speed things up for a while, that might do it.

Welcome back.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-19, 05:01
Registered Member

BK, thanks for the reply. It’s the first week that’s tough for me. Once I get some momentum I can cruise for awhile. So today I am making and shopping a food plan for just the first two days. Three meals, no snacks, water and around twenty grams. Like Induction again. I am home from school today (weather closing) so I can reread Atkins’ chapters on Introduction and Induction. Thanks for the support. I am thinking of a goal of three pounds a month. Too ambitious? Greg
“Nothing changes if nothing changes”
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-19, 09:37

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I keep my Atkins books (several editions) close at hand, and reread them whenever I need to for inspiration. Very good idea!

For this restart, I also reread Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It by Gary Taubes. This is up-to-date science, with a great eating plan (Duke) in an appendix at the end.

Best wishes.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 07:26
Registered Member

Bk, OKay, I downloaded the book and will start today. I feel my inspiration tank has been a little low, lately, and this time of year presents a lot of situations that are difficult. This may be a good prescription for me!! Thanks, steadyed (Greg)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 12:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back, Greg! ...again.

In addition to reading Why We Get Fat which is a great book, you might need to consider what you need to do to stay on low carb, not go on and off.

You started in 2008, Barb and I made suggestions in 2016 when you came back before...maybe give these a re-read.

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=9161422
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-19, 09:38
Registered Member

Default Good observation!

Jey, thanks for your support and observation. Time flies. Hard to believe I have been tinkering with this for so long. I will reread the earlier posts! And give some thought to the larger issue of “on and off”. Off the top of my head I would say this: I have been treating this as a short term thing to be defeated by concerted effort. When I lose some weight, I lose my head. Gotta start thinking about life sized goals. Today I am making a meal plan for two more days, thats all! And not draconian either, something comfortable that is still low carb.
Greg
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-19, 10:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Greg, sounds like a good realistic plan. While time is Flying by, usually Health becomes more of a motivator. Do you have any joint pains or is your BP creeping up? that may provide life-sized goals. Or have you heard of the Decade Challenge on Facebook. I dont use it personally but as an admin of a LC group it came up. Two photos to mark the beginning and end of the 2010s. For me it was a marked improvement since I started LC in 2010 and have lost weight, facial bloating and skin inflammation. For non-low carbers, maybe it was more motivating. I was in central CT for my 50th high school reunion Columbus Day weekend...even that could be a life goal.