Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 20:17

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Teaching about Vit K2

I belong to a group of ladies who meet every Monday, ostensibly to encourage each other to weight loss, but, as we all have differing ideas on how to accomplish that, we usually end up talking about books, or the various aches and pains of old age. (Note: I am 68, and the youngest of the group). Today one of our group was talking about foods containing calcium, as she had been told she shouldn't take tablets. Another chimed in that eating spinach was not a good idea, as it can lead to kidney stones, as she knew to her cost. I tossed in, are people taking Vit K2? Total blank. What is it, what does it do? And when I told them how it is useful in redirecting calcium to the bones, rather than the arteries, they were all agog. All of them, to a greater or lesser extent, have bone density issues. Not one had heard anything about Vit K2 from their doctors. Isn't that from certain vegetables? No, that is Vit K1. I think they will all be looking it up at home.
They may not be open to low carb, but I'm happy to think I was able to give them some advice they could listen to
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 22:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Good for you !!
When I talked to a UMASS bone doctor and tried to discuss K2, he confused it with K1. sigh. THAT happens often among doctors. K1 is not K2.

MY mom takes K2 now, on my recommendation.

Also, it Helps to include ALL the minerals of bone in diet, not just calcium. I actually stopped supplementing Ca and Just focused on the lesser known minerals to bring balance as calcium is abundant in a good diet. Getting potassium and magnesoum and phosphorus is a must. A yummy bone broth meets those needs.

Keep sharing.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 22:27

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm on the fence because of the source of K-2 I'm finding in supplements. Lots of them are made with chickpeas and packed with starch in the cap like rice or tapioca.
Then there is the nato sources, from soy beans and I just don't want soy beans even though it's fermented.

I think I just need to eat more liver, Camembert cheese and Gouda cheese.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 22:37

BF:

Try finding natto made from beans, not soybeans. Or make your own. See youtube for recipes.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 23:09

BF:

I thought that Natto was special kind of fermented soy beans, not regular beans.

Ideally a pill with liver but again I am picky about source and country of origin. But I really don't need a ton of extra Iron either.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 23:14

BF:

That is the original recipe. A VT company offersnon soy option. As natto is fermenting beans with a starter (natto) any bean can be used apparently. It wouldbe much cheaper to make your own homemade natto, and choose your bean source.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-20, 00:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
That is the original recipe. A VT company offersnon soy option. As natto is fermenting beans with a starter (natto) any bean can be used apparently. It wouldbe much cheaper to make your own homemade natto, and choose your bean source.

Some of the K-2 pills vaguely mentioned in the ingredients listed, the fermentation AS IN Natto. I didn't know what that was so......