Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 08:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCarbMica
I think that is what I will try to do. Maybe my problem is having too early of a cut-off time, and pushing it back and adjusting the time of my last meal could be a little more helpful. I just like to give myself at least an hour between eating and sleeping because for me no matter how I eat, if i go to sleep on a full stomach I gain weight. As of late I have been more of a night owl, I think getting proper sleep would help as well. Thanks for the advice! Cucumbers are one of my favorite snacks!

Also when I am starting again, I do gain, I dont worry about it as I will loose it once back in ketosis. I had to make a decision consciously that this was ok as getting into ketosis was more important.

The weekends my fast is shorter as I have breakfast with my kids. Otherwise, right now, my fast time is about 8pm -noon.

Also if I stay up very late 1-2 pm, I start prowling the kitchen. When I saw this over and over, I made arrangements to have lights out by midnight.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 18:08
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Spanish olives are my goto snack at night or HB eggs.

Muscle loss and starvation modes during a fast have been disproved. HGH goes up greatly along with an percentage increase in metabolism. I gained muscle and still lost fat without changing my workouts. Your body at some point will scavenge senescent cells and old enzymes to supply protein. The processes of autophagy and microphagy are very beneficial. You can eat or you can heal, but not do both well at the same time. Perhaps that's why animals instinctively stop eating if sick or injured?
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 18:43

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

A couple of interesting videos with Dr. Valter Longo; first a TEDx talk, second of them an interview:

Fasting: Awakening the Rejuvenation from Within 12-5-2016

Valter Longo, Ph.D. on Fasting-Mimicking Diet & Fasting for Longevity, Cancer & Multiple Sclerosis 10-1-2016

Dr. Valter Longo co-authored this this paper with Dr. Mark Mattson:

Fasting: Molecular Mechanisms and Clinical Applications

Last edited by s93uv3h : Sun, May-20-18 at 19:37.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 02:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Good links to reasons for fasting beside weight loss. Dr Mark Mattson's own TedX talk on Why Fasting Bolsters Brain Power from back in 2014, inspired some of the revival in fasting, e.g. Silicon Valley fasting groups. It has had 2.6 million views; he covers NIH research on Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s too.

https://youtu.be/4UkZAwKoCP8
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-18, 07:17

A New Beginner's Guide to Fasting:

https://idmprogram.com/the-beginner...ittent-fasting/

Great overview, no fasting beyond 24 hours.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-18, 12:16

Plan: Atkins-IF
Stats: 180/169/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Dr. Fungs Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting which is the basis for IDM Program, explains everything. Also related - Dr Fung Diabetes Code.

I am not diabetic or insulin resistant but I do find that I lose weight faster with VLC and I do not snack between meals.

I was doing IF, EF and OMAD but started to have severe dizzy spells. My Dr. ran a lot of tests and everything came back normal so she asked me to cut back on fasting and add some carbs back into my diet.

I added more veggies, some berries and cut back to just 18/6 (fast for 18 hours, 6 hour eating window, no snacking between meals) 4 days per week and OMAD (one meal per day, eaten in a 2 hour window) and I'm losing at the same rate. Which is slowly but steadily. I don't feel deprived or hungry. If I do, I will break my fast and eat something LC.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 03:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070
Dr. Fungs Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting which is the basis for IDM Program, explains everything. Also related - Dr Fung Diabetes Code.

I am not diabetic or insulin resistant but I do find that I lose weight faster with VLC and I do not snack between meals.

I was doing IF, EF and OMAD but started to have severe dizzy spells. My Dr. ran a lot of tests and everything came back normal so she asked me to cut back on fasting and add some carbs back into my diet.

I added more veggies, some berries and cut back to just 18/6 (fast for 18 hours, 6 hour eating window, no snacking between meals) 4 days per week and OMAD (one meal per day, eaten in a 2 hour window) and I'm losing at the same rate. Which is slowly but steadily. I don't feel deprived or hungry. If I do, I will break my fast and eat something LC.

The new Obesity Code FB Page is filled with practical advice on IF. The moderators have lately been emphasizing that OMAD is not something to do more than a few days a week. If you do that everyday, then that is just a version of Calorie Restriction which can lower your metabolism and maybe contributed to not feeling well.

The moderator lead fasts on that page are often a seven day pattern of a few 18:6, one or two OMADs, and a weekend off for three meals a day. Sounds like what you are doing now with success.
A quote from that beginners guide above on the topic...

Quote:
The 24-hour fast Did you know you can do a 24-hour fast and not actually skip a day of eating? What? What magic is this? Think about it: you’re having a normal Wednesday and you intentionally stop eating by 7:00 p.m. Thursday dawns and you give your digestive system a little break from all the hard work it does – you know, keeping you alive and stuff – and then you sit down to a nice dinner at 7:00 p.m. Congratulations, you’ve just completed a 24-hour fast but you didn’t have an entire day of no food. (Please note, it is not recommended to incorporate a 24-hour fast more than twice a week.)

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-22-18 at 04:52.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 06:43

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I do an hour's window every day, and if I don't it is 2 or 3 hours, not all day. I do not practise calorie restriction, accidentally or on purpose, and I feel great.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 07:40

BF:

Im back to OMAD , one meal a day in one hour. This is my second go round with OMAD, and eating small portions is easier this time than the first time. The first time trying OMAD I gorged for an hour and still lost weight. The need to gorge was based on a fear that I wouldnt get enough food. That need to gorge is gone this time.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 07:51

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Im back to OMAD , one meal a day in one hour. This is my second go round with OMAD, and eating small portions is easier this time than the first time. The first time trying OMAD I gorged for an hour and still lost weight. The need to gorge was based on a fear that I wouldnt get enough food. With

What is enough food? Is it based on caloric intake, or satiety? MFP will say I'm not eating enough if I consume fewer than 1000 calories. But if I'm not hungry, why eat more? Then I worry about slowing my metabolism. It's a rare day that I eat only one meal, but sometimes I hover around 900 calories and feel fine. Other days I'll eat much more.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 08:08

BF:

Have you looked at the studies??? Phinney and others are on utube and there is much to learn from listening to all the angles.

There are many down sides to too few calories. Mostly that the body feels it is in crisis and goes into survival mode and prevents weight loss. This is where the metabolism slows. One study of the Big Fat Looser participants showed a depressed metabolism even FIVE YEARS later. Better to eat more calories/food and do some exercise to compensate is my goal.

I am dropping to OMAD to drop more pounds by Sept 1--- normally I dont live low calories and that is why I like DANDR because I can eat a good amount of quality food and maintain weight until my next push to drop more pounds.

My sweet spot is to eat two times a day. noon-6. Then fast. I do at times start snacking and that leads to more snacking and weight gain.

This becomes a process that goes round and round, for me.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-18, 20:53
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

The hardest for me is avoiding snacking at night!

Drinking sparkling water helps, kefir, bullion, or some ACV laced water if you can tolerate it. I tell myself "if you eat you won't lose today, may get heartburn and toss 'n turn all night