Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 16:30

Plan: Dr. Atkins' NDR
Stats: 267/255/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:not a clue
Progress: 9%
Question 2 ?'s, iron? & chewable?

Greetings!

I've spent this weekend reading Dr. Atkins' NDR & I have 2 supplement questions:

1. Did I read this right, are we supposed to take a multi-vitamin that does NOT include iron? If this is the case, I'm having a hard time finding one.

2. I hate to admit this but I'm a big baby when it comes to pills, but I want to do this correctly. I can take some pills but have a VERY hard time with larger ones, usually mulit-vitamins are HUGE to me. I checked out some chewable, but they don't have close to the vitamins and nutriens required. Does anyone by any chance know of a vitamin that is not HUGE?

Thanks for your help! I'm extremely excited to start my new life plan!!!!

Laurie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 18:34
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Laurie,

1. Iron "may" be a problem if you're older male or post-menopausal woman. Apparently, there was a study done in the mid-90's that showed men with levels of stored iron greater than 200 mcg/dL had increased risk of heart disease. However, that study has never been duplicated, and in fact, a study published in the Amer. Journal of Cardiology in 1997 showed the exact opposite ... higher levels of stored iron were actually protective against heart disease
Quote:
Serum iron level, coronary artery disease, and all-cause mortality in older men and women

Authors :Corti MC; Guralnik JM; Salive ME; Ferrucci L; Pahor M; Wallace RB; Hennekens CH; Epidemiology, Demography, and Biometry Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892-9205, USA.

Source:Am J Cardiol, 1997 Jan, 79:2, 120-7

The association between iron levels and coronary artery disease (CAD) mortality is controversial. Whereas most data show no association, some have raised the possibility of a causal role, while others have suggested a protective effect of iron on CAD. To address these possibilitiees, we examined the association between serum iron and CAD, cardiovascular disease, and all-cause mortality in a large cohort of 3,936 persons aged > or =71
years who completed an interview, had serum iron determination, and survived at least 1 year after baseline. The median follow-up time was 4.4 years. Serum iron levels were categorized according to sex-specific quartiles. There was a gradual decrease in the risks of CAD, cardiovascular disease, and all-cause mortality with increasing serum iron levels. Men in the highest iron quartile were one fifth as likely to die of CAD as men in the lowest iron quartile, and women in the highest quartile had half the risk of women in the lowest quartile. When compared with the lowest quartile, risk
of all-cause mortality was 38% lower in men in the highest iron quartile and 28% lower in women in the highest quartile. In this large cohort of persons aged > or =71 years, there was consistent evidence of increasing risk of mortality at lower serum iron levels. In fact, lower serum iron levels were associated with an increased risk of CAD, cardiovascular disease, and all-cause mortality. The results are compatible with the possibility that in
an older population, there is an inverse association between serum iron levels and risk of mortality.
Younger women who are still menstruating are unlikely to have high levels of stored iron, since some is lost with the monthly bleeding. As well, younger women are more likely to have a history of low fat dieting that's deficient in red meat and other sources of iron.

The RDA for adults is 15 mg. A 6 oz broiled extra lean beef filet steak provides 3 mg iron

note: you should NOT take iron supplements if you have a condition called hemochromatosis. If in doubt, discuss with your doctor.

2. Truthfully I don't know of a brand of once-daily multi-vitamin that isn't huge. The chewables are sweetened with fructose, honey or plain ol' sugar. There are some brands of daily multi vitamin/ minerals where you take three tablets a day to ensure better absorption. Because the amount of nutrients is divided up, the pills are smaller. NuLife is one brand, and I think GNC carries something similar. Check at a health food store; they're more likely to have this than a regular pharmacy or department store.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 19:01

Plan: Dr. Atkins' NDR
Stats: 267/255/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:not a clue
Progress: 9%
Default Doreen, You ROCK!

WOW Doreen, you are GREAT!!! Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm definately the type of person that wants all the facts (but sometimes too lazy to get them myself).