Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-23, 12:24

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Fructose and Alzheimer's

Quote:
An evolutionary instinct that relies on fructose within the brain could drive the development of Alzheimer’s disease, according to a new study. The results suggest that diet could be influencing the onset of the disease as a result of a foraging instinct, and that consistent fructose intake may be stimulating brain activity that results in neuron death and pathological protein accumulation

https://www.iflscience.com/fructose...s-disease-67663
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-23, 13:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Or, it could be the tidal wave of sugar and starch so many eat.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-23, 13:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

High fructose corn sugar is still in nearly everything!!

Even real fruit used to be seasonal only. My DH grandmother only had an orange in their Christmas stocking. Meaning DH mother, now 85 grw up with one orange a year.

DH gave me a basket of big strawberries for Valentines Day. When was such an option available?

A book written about the Massachusetts area covered the time of WW2 when a woman taught others to grow sprouts during the winter months. The lack of vit C caused ill health and loose teeth. Little to no fresh veg in Boston area is my take away.

We jumped from nearly nothing to too much in 2-3 generations.

Just food for 🤔 thought......

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Feb-23-23 at 14:09.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-23, 17:00

BF:

In addition it shows their determination to get another bunch of drugs out of this discovery.

These things don't end well.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-23, 22:54

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

And fruits have been bred to be sweeter, since that's what people want. So they eat more sugar per fruit, more fruit with year 'round access, which keeps up cravings for junk food.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 04:39

BF:

My body's outright inability to digest plant matter seems to be a matter of my inherited enzymes, as I long suspected. Which is ironic for someone born in Midwestern farmland. And I never, ever, liked vegetables. My conscience is free from my free-floating anxiety about my unbalanced diet.

Some delving brought up the figure of four centuries, an evolutionary eye blink. 400 years of grabbing plants from all over the planet, doing some serious botanical stuff, and our modern produce section appeared.

And I ran across a historical reference to a strain of corn known as Howling Mob. Because it tasted so good that's what shoppers acted like when it appeared in late medieval farmers markets. The original tomato was the size of a walnut. Now, the wheat and the corn and the soy, the tomatoes and apples and oranges, are all GMO-ed to be easy harvest, long-keeping, and great nutritional profiles... in a lab.

I never heard about bio-availability until recently, thanks to Dr. Georgia Ede, and some information that has appeared over the last few years. When we were all terribly distracted

It changed my head, in a good way. It's now ALL about whether or not I, myself, can get nutrition out of that food. Otherwise, I'm just wasting money and time.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 09:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

This is consistent with the message from Robert Lustig. One of the best, most recent, and thorough analyses of fructose and its impact on metabolism is the following video with Dr. Rick Johnson. It's long, but consumed in small segments, it's manageable and very informative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V02z9mqTWzg
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 22:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't forget that sugar is 50% fructose.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-23, 05:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Don't forget that sugar is 50% fructose.

Exactly. The whole High Fructose Corn Syrup scam was that it was high in fructose. Which apparently brings some extra distortions when chopped out of millions of bushels of corn instead of lying there meekly in our grapefruit.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-23, 08:35

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
And fruits have been bred to be sweeter, since that's what people want. So they eat more sugar per fruit, more fruit with year 'round access, which keeps up cravings for junk food.

And the fruits are BIGGER!!

Ive come to appreciate the old style small apples. Several are getting to market for lunch boxes.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-23, 14:00

BF:

I recently heard about the book Genius Brain, where a son lost his mother to dementia and went on his own science trip. He felt it likely her vegetarian diet, which she thought would save her health and instead, shortened it.

The diet is based on whole animal foods. So is Toxic Superfoods, which has singlehandedly solved my baffling food reactions.

And is already being targeted by vegans. So you know it’s true, I said to myself.