Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-22, 18:00

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Eating late increases hunger, decreases calories burned, and changes fat tissue

"Results revealed that eating later had profound effects on hunger and appetite-regulating hormones leptin and ghrelin, which influence our drive to eat. Specifically, levels of the hormone leptin, which signals satiety, were decreased across the 24 hours in the late eating condition compared to the early eating conditions. When participants ate later, they also burned calories at a slower rate and exhibited adipose tissue gene expression towards increased adipogenesis and decreased lipolysis, which promote fat growth."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...21004121928.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-22, 18:56

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Argggggggggggg

My nemesis is eating late. Working around farm, like feeding the animals their dinner, pushes my dinner to early - late evening. Then noshing, until bed time.......
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-22, 01:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is interesting. I'm glad it was a crossover study. I hope there was a good wash-out period - I didn't see that in the discussion. (ie, what if the change from one to the other accounted for some of the difference?)

To me, this is one of those nit-picky things that's probably about #5937 on a list of things to fix if you want to successfully lose weight and keep it off. I'm an unapologetic late eater. It fits my lifestyle. I work shift (hi, it's 3:00 am here and my normal shift starts at 3:00 or 4:00 am.) People have jobs, budgets, families, and many other "success barriers" to consider. I'll sacrifice possibly better ghrelin and leptin levels for the mental health benefits of having a nice meal with my opposite-shift-working husband most nights.

Confounding factor for me: the blood flow redirection after a meal that makes me almost uselessly sleepy. Even a smaller, lighter meal. I leverage it by eating twice a day, not too long before my nap/night sleep. My coworkers bug me about why I work 6-7 hours before taking my lunch. I tell them I don't like eating until I'm done my complicated stuff and don't need my brain anymore.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Oct-28-22 at 01:16.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-22, 08:21

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

After decades as a owl, I'm up before the sun a lot of the time, because if I get worn out I go to bed ridiculously early.

Even when I feel good, 9 pm should see me in bed, cats fed, and the Kindle out. I last about 20 minutes. So I'm always eating three meals early and finishing up by 4pm, usually.

Kristine's twice-a-day plan might be doing the same kind of work. She's got the built-in fasting period that is probably missing in the study.

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Oct-28-22 at 17:09. Reason: typo! on name
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-22, 12:25

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Kristin's twice-a-day plan might be doing the same kind of work. She's got the built-in fasting period that is probably missing in the study.
Also, most late eaters on a SAD graze or gorge on junk from dinner to bedtime, so they eat extra food/calories that they don't need while Kristine is fasting asleep.

I too find that my brain is sharpest when I haven't eaten, so I do my best & most-focussed work before my ~11am first meal of mostly protein and <10g net carbs that keep me sharper than my colleagues in the afternoon. Then I have up to ~20g net carbs in my second (and last) meal of the day at ~5-6pm.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-22, 02:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

^Yes, that's a good point about the fasting periods, and a lot of the subjects probably being grazers (they were all either overweight or obese.) Sleep time is probably their only decent digestive break, and it makes sense that they're doing themselves good by extending it with an earlier dinner.

So they've figured out some grehlin/leptin science with the meal timing of poor eaters: now repeat the study on normal weight carb-restricting and/or TRE folks.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-22, 06:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Every day my news feed is full of contradictory advice about food. For a few weeks it was don't nap during the day! because people with Alzheimer's did that. This is sheer Bronze Age reasoning and there's a reason we prefer actual results.

People with dementia tire easily. I have a chronic condition that isn't dementia and I tire easily. I don't nap, but there's times I'm falling asleep shortly after sundown. Which is good. I can sleep when I'm tired, and since my condition can get better with such treatment, it does.

Just as people with dementia do better first thing in the morning. We all do.

Does late breakfast do the same thing for people who get hungry, later? Because I used to do that, too. Switched to early hit of protein for energy, and it worked for me.

People have to realize better health is possible. Because I think a lot of them have given up. A lot of denial. And we all know the social cost of eating low carb, perhaps even those who follow the most generous form of restriction.

I know I've run into more than one group offering where I skipped even the coffee because the only cream was "whitener." The glares when I leave whole pizza crusts on my plate somehow disturbs people. WHY?