Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 00:52

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Numbers too high

could the high numbers be to coconut oil, Heavy cream, and butter?

Details
Past results
Graph of past results
Component Results

Component Standard Range Your Value
CHOLESTEROL <=199 mg/dL 251
TRIGLYCERIDE <=149 mg/dL 213
HDL >=40 mg/dL 33
LDL CALCULATED <=99 mg/dL 175
CHOLESTEROL/HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN <=4.9 7.6
CHOLESTEROL, NON-HDL 218
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 06:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Is your title a question or a statement?
How long have you been low carb when this test was run? The 175 LDL is still under the new guidelines, unless you are diabetic, which may be the case if on Bernstein. But not especially high.
If you are consistently eating LC, one might expect lower Trigs, unless they were much higher on your previous test. Hard to make comments without a bit more info.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 07:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

During total starvation, cholesterol goes up enough for doctors to get all excited and whip out their prescription pads.

Quote:
Fasting increases serum total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and apolipoprotein B in healthy, nonobese humans.
Sävendahl L1, Underwood LE.
Author information
Abstract
Voluntary fasting is practiced by many humans in an attempt to lose body weight. Conflicting results have been published on the effects of food deprivation on serum lipids. To study the effect of acute starvation on serum lipids, 10 nonobese (93-124% of ideal body weight), healthy adults (6 men, 4 women, 21-38 y old) fasted (no energy) for 7 d. Fasting increased total serum cholesterol from 4.90 +/- 0.23 to 6.73 +/- 0.41 mmol/L (37.3 +/- 5.0%; P < 0.0001) and LDL cholesterol from 2.95 +/- 0.21 to 4.90 +/- 0.36 mmol/L (66.1 +/- 6. 6%; P < 0.0001). Serum apolipoprotein B (apo B) increased from 0.84 +/- 0.06 to 1.37 +/- 0.11 g/L (65.0 +/- 9.2%; P < 0.0001). The increases in serum cholesterol, LDL and apo B were associated with weight loss. Fasting did not affect serum concentrations of triacylglycerol and HDL cholesterol. Serum concentrations of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) decreased from 246 +/- 29 (prefast) to 87 +/- 10 microg/L after 1 wk of fasting (P < 0.0001). We conclude that, in nonobese subjects, fasting is accompanied by increases in serum cholesterol, LDL and apo B concentrations, whereas IGF-I levels are decreased.

That ldl cholesterol during prolonged fasting--4.9 mmol/L=189 mg/dl. Higher than yours. Should these guys have been put on statins for the duration of their fast?

If you're losing weight, your internal fat stores, that you're digging in to, may be as relevant as the dietary fat that you're eating. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10539776

High cholesterol and triglyceride numbers when on a high carbohydrate diet=unhealthy. These numbers during starvation=normal physiology. On a ketogenic diet, when dietary fat is supplemented with stored fat? A lot in common between these two states, nutritional ketosis isn't starvation, but the fuel sources are the same.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...sterol-went-up/

Quote:
I lost weight and my cholesterol . . . went up!

By Dr. Davis | June 5, 2012

This is a fairly common observation around these parts: “I eliminated wheat from my diet and have limited my consumption of junk carbohydrates like corn and sugars. I lost 38 pounds over three months and I feel great. I initially lost weight rapidly, but have more recently slowed to about 1-2 pounds per week. But my doctor checked some lab values and he flipped! He said that my HDL dropped, my triglycerides went up, and my blood sugar went up 20 points! He wants me to take a statin drug and metformin for my high blood sugar. What gives?”

Easy: You are losing weight. Let me explain.

When you lose weight, you are mobilizing energy stored as fat. That fat is mobilized as fatty acids and triglycerides into the bloodstream. 10 pounds lost, for instance, means the equivalent of 35,000 calories of fat released into the bloodstream.

These fatty acids are not alone. They interact with the other elements in the bloodstream. In particular, this flood of fatty acids:

–Block insulin–and thereby increase blood sugar. A non-diabetic can even become transiently diabetic during weight loss.
–Increase triglycerides–A starting triglyceride level of, say, 120 mg/dl, can increase to 180 mg/dl during active weight loss. (Triglycerides contain fatty acids.)
–Decreased HDL–Excess fatty acids and triglycerides modify HDL particles, causing their degradation and elimination. A starting HDL of 45 mg/dl can drop to 28 mg/dl, for example.
–LDL measures go haywire–The conventional calculated LDL cholesterol, or even generally superior measures like apoprotein B or NMR LDL particle number, can go in any direction rather unpredictably: They can go up, down, or sideways. Likewise, the (miserably useless) total cholesterol value can go up, down, or sideways.
–Increased blood pressure–This is likely due to the enhanced artery constriction that occurs due to increased endothelial dysfunction, i.e., dysfunction of the normal relaxation mechanisms of arteries.

The key is to recognize these phenomena as nothing more than part of weight loss and the inevitable mobilization of fatty acids into the bloodstream. Accordingly, decisions should not be made based on these values, since they are transient. Your doctor will likely try to push hypertension medication, statin drugs, fibrate drugs, diabetes drugs . . . all for a transient effect. Is there a way to not experience these changes? Sure: liposuction. To my knowledge, there is no way short of extracting fat with a trocar to avoid these changes.

As a practical matter, avoid having blood drawn until weight has plateaued for at least 4 weeks and these changes are allowed to reverse. Only then will you know what you have achieved in your wheat-free adventure.

Another thing I'd throw in--as omnivores, humans store mostly the fats they eat. So a previous long-term diet high in corn oil = fat stores relatively high in polyunsaturated fat, a diet high in olive oil=fat stores relatively high in monounsaturated fat, a diet high in butter, coconut=fat stores higher in saturated fat. There is some back and forth synthesis between saturated and mono, but there'll be a trend. I think this probably means that that variable change in LDL cholesterol during a low carb/ketogenic diet might come down to the fatty acid profile of our fat stores, not just degree of saturation, but particular sub-types of fatty acid, as much as diet.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 11:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Is your title a question or a statement?
How long have you been low carb when this test was run? The 175 LDL is still under the new guidelines, unless you are diabetic, which may be the case if on Bernstein. But not especially high.
If you are consistently eating LC, one might expect lower Trigs, unless they were much higher on your previous test. Hard to make comments without a bit more info.

Hello Janet, I have been strict low carb this time since 12/26/2014. I started at 264 and I am currently at 239. I made an effort to stay at or under 100g of protein a day. I also have increased fat intake dramatically. Weight was literally falling off daily. So when I saw what I thought were high numbers, I instantly thought of all of the butter and coconut oil I consume. the daily weight loss has stopped. The only thing I changed in the diet was to add 1/2 a serving of macadamia nut for the added fat. I will quit eating those and see if the weight loss continues.

I had the blood work done 1/29/2015. I honestly do not know if the numbers are on the weigh down from my weight gain last year, so I decided not to panic, test again in three months, and see. I am asymptomatic diabetic. I consistently test in the 80's if I am on program. So much so that I have to argue with my health care provider to get some blood work done.

Thank you for your contribution to this forum.

Last edited by newlowc : Sat, Jan-31-15 at 12:06. Reason: more info
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 12:11

BF:

Teaser, your posts are always informative and well thought out. I consistently read people lie your's and Jey's posts. I think you are saying, "Stay the course". I will. I just have to fortify myself to do battle with my doctor over the RX he will surely write. Thanks for all of your help.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 12:49

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Yes, what Teaser said.

I've been eating high fat for a long time (several years) and even though the numbers on the scale are not going down rapidly, my last lab work last April was:

Total cholesterol: 4.70 (182)
HDL 1.64 (63)
LDL 2.26 (87)
Trigs: 176 (155) ok these are a bit high and I'm working on it.
Ratio: 2.9

Hang in there as the numbers will definitely improve.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 17:18

You're welcome, and now we know you recently restarted and are actively losing weight, Westman, Phinney and more would all agree with Dr. Davis...too impacted by the release of fats now and don't bother to test again in three months either. Advice is not to test until you are at goal/have been weight stable for a month. I only had them done during my weight loss because another doctor ordered them and my weight loss was very slow by that time anyway, not a rate of loss that would be releasing lots of stored fat. You can always check your own blood work through any direct-to-consumer lab...I use DirectLab.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 17:25

BF:

HGBA1C is 4.9 !!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-15, 04:14

You certainly are an asymptomatic diabetic! Way better than mine...I'm jealous.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-01-15 at 10:18.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-15, 09:38

BF:

Thanks Hellistile, I think I freaked out because I was not expecting numbers to be that high. You are doing a great job.

It is weird, My blood sugar is perfect, weight is falling off me, but I can not shake the brainwashing that says, "fat is bad".