Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-15, 12:22

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
You can always ask "What are the studies done on women which show a benefit with statins?"

It's a trick question. There aren't any.

Well, there are, (google scholar search "women statins") but studies are always questionable.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-15, 10:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
Well, there are, (google scholar search "women statins") but studies are always questionable.

While there are studies on women, none of them show any benefit. The only studies which show statins have a beneficial effect are on middle-aged men who have already had a heart attack.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-15, 11:08
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

i said no to my doctor too for cholesterol meds mainly due to the fact mine isn't that bad 265. But last setember it was over 300. so its lower. I noticed my good cholesterol went from 25 to 35. so happy with that. My doctor isn't (sigh)
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-15, 11:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Your cholesterol will improve as long you as stay low carb. Esp. Trigs and HDL, which are the important ones to focus on. HDL rises slowly, so hang in there, while the Trigs will usually drop very quickly.

In addition to quit smoking and a LC diet, Suggestions from Cholesterol Clarity to raise HDL naturally, one of the best ways is to consume more dietary fat, inc. healthy saturated fats, such as coconut Oil, butter, full-fat meats, and mono oils like olive oil. Addditionally HDL responds to regular exercise, reduced alcohol consumption, and if you are up to it, intermittent fasting of 16 hours.

...And you are doing all that!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-15, 11:56

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
While there are studies on women, none of them show any benefit

I don't want an extended argument here, but that is just not true. While many studies are about tolerance of the drug or reduction of cholesterol levels, studies of cardiac event outcomes, including prospective studies and meta analyses, do show a reduction. A quick google scholar: women statin cardiac event' search netted me these non-post-surgery results from the first page (adding, post-surgery studies also showed benefit):

http://www.bmj.com/content/338/bmj.b2376.long
Conclusion In patients without established cardiovascular disease but with cardiovascular risk factors, statin use was associated with significantly improved survival and large reductions in the risk of major cardiovascular events.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...140673605673941
Statin therapy can safely reduce the 5-year incidence of major coronary events, coronary revascularisation, and stroke by about one fifth per mmol/L reduction in LDL cholesterol

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/art...rticleid=217193
In conclusion, using moderate doses of statins decreases mortality, CHD or cerebrovascular events, and cardiovascular procedures in adults with CHD by 16% to 24%.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19228842
Atorvastatin 80 mg/d is similarly efficacious in preventing strokes and other cardiovascular events, irrespective of baseline ischemic stroke subtype.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-15, 09:54

Plan: none
Stats: 143/130/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default New here with Cholesterol questions and concerns

HI everyone, So happy I found this forum. A little about me, 5'7", weighed at the beginning of this cholesterol journey 143 lbs and now at 130lb. I just want my numbers to drop and not be put on statins. I don't see much info for women and the side effects of taking them. After a yearly checkup last year in January I found out I had High cholesterol and my doctor prior to prescribing meds, advised I change my diet completly and start working out. Adding salmon to my diet 3 x's a week and Omega 3 supplements. At the time of that exam Cholesterol levels were:

TC: 272
HDL: 85
TRG:97
LDL: 168..I was freaking out.
So I went home and did exactly what he advised me to do. I did not want to take any statins.
Next appt 3 months later:
TC: 211
HDL: 63
TRG: 76
LDL: 133

Now my numbers have changed again...I know, I am punishing my own self for eating foods I had given up. I was eating during the holidays and now my numbers have gone up again and I am terrified:
TC: 232
HDL:73
TRG:87
LDL: 142.
So I starting dieting again and working out. T25 and walking my dog.
I joined this board in hopes to understand these numbers better and what I can benefit from eating foods perhaps I didn't even know I could or could not have.
Any advice or help is appreciated.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-15, 10:40

Plan: none
Stats: 143/130/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo

Hi, I am new here and just thought I would chime in. Even though I posted there are not many studies on uses of statins within women, I had no clue ( know horrible) that my mom has been taking statins since she was 49 yrs old, she is now 83. She said she cannot pin point any side effects due to being on numerous other meds ( breast cancer survivor as well) other than her bad LDL has gone down below 100 and she is happy with that.

I on the other hand, am trying to do everything not to be on them. Just don't want to take another medication.