Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 05:23
Registered Member

Plan: cycling carbs 30 - 70 net
Stats: 185/158/130 Female 174 cm
BF:26
Progress: 49%
Lightbulb Homemade butter

I just finished making my own butter and wanted to share the gift
Itīs great and I never thought it would be so easy!!!

All you need is a whipping / heavy cream and some standing mixer (you could probably do it by shaking the cream in a jar with some marble or whisking by hand too, it would just take longer).

You will make 80g of butter out of 250ml cream.

Put the whipping / heavy cream into mixer and thatīs it.

Normally you would stop when itīs whipped enough to put as a topping on a cake (forming soft peaks), but now just continue whipping.

After a while there will be a milky liquid separating from a buttery stuff. Whipp until the butter is solid, strain the liquid out (I keep it to drink as a fat milk) and put the butter into bowl with cold water.

Rinse the butter in the water, add fresh water and do this until you are rinsing out clear water.

-- the reason for this rinsing is, that in the case you want to store it for longer time, leaving some milky parts in butter would sour it up after couple of days...
-- so if you want to keep the butter just for a day or two, you dont need to rinse it too much.

When itīs done, you can add salt, some herbs or leave it as it is.

The quality of butter of course depends on the quality of the heavy cream. I get fresh one, without any conservats or so and the butter is just yummy...

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 11:57
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I've always known that if you whip cream long enough, you get butter, but I've never actually tried it.

Just curious, is it tastier than the butter you get at the store? Surely it can't be much cheaper, considering the price of cream (around here anyway) and it surely isn't more convenient. I'm just wondering what the motivation would be to make your own butter when it's readily available and affordable at the grocery store right next to the cream. Or, I see you're not from the States, perhaps it's more expensive where you shop?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: cycling carbs 30 - 70 net
Stats: 185/158/130 Female 174 cm
BF:26
Progress: 49%

I tried it on purpose and was just too happy that it came out perfect

I guess you can buy the butter just as you can buy cream... your choice. I can get fresh cream without conservants easily, but with butter = the choice is limited.

This way I know itīs pure butter, nothing else, plus I like making anything I can at home

As with the price - the real butters are very expensive. On the other hand, I dont eat that much butter that it would ruin my account, but as I said - I like doing things like this