Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 16:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322/252/196 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Question Atkins safe diet soda drinks.

Hi guys, I'm into my third week of induction (since I have rather a lot to lose) and was wandering around Sainsburys with a friend and came across the Sainsburys own brand diet drinks range, apparently

All Sainsburys own diet drinks products use Sucralose not aspartame and some of the drinks i.e.

1. Diet Lemonade

Carbonated Water, Lemon Juice from Concentrate (2%), Citric Acid, Acidity Regulator: Sodium Citrate, Natural Flavourings, Sweetener: Sucralose.

2. Orange Crush

Carbonated Water, Orange Fruit from Concentrate (5%), Citric Acid, Natural Flavourings, Sweetener: Sucralose, Acidity Regulator: Sodium Citrate, Antioxidant: Ascorbic Acid, Stabilisers: Acacia Gum, Glycerol Esters of Wood Rosins, Colour: Beta-Carotene.

3. Dandelion and Burdock

Carbonated Water, Barley Malt Extract, Natural Flavourings (including Dandelion and Burdock root extracts), Citric Acid, Acidity Regulator: Sodium Citrates; Preservative: Potassium Sorbate; Sweetener: Sucralose.

Contains Barley and Gluten.

5. Cream Soda

Carbonated Water, Lactic Acid, Natural Flavourings (including Vanilla Extracts), Sweetener: Sucralose; Preservative: Potassium Sorbate; Acidity Regulator: Sodium Citrates; Stabiliser: Quillaia Extract.

Now While I'm aware some of the ingrediants hardly sound natural, I was wondering if these drinks would be suitable or acceptable for Atkins inductors who are desperate for a change in the usual bucketloads of water?

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 16:23

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I would not drink anything with gluten (Barley/Malt, etc.) but I drank diet soda when I first did Atkins at induction level carbs. Eventually I became sensitive to the flavorings and aspartame (sucralose is better, I think). Personally I would go for the cream soda .
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 16:24

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

4grams of carbs per cup in the diet orange crush
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-13-10, 01:52
Registered Member

Stats: 322/252/196 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 56%

As Anthony commented the orange crush has a large amount of carbs percup. I will update the post with nutritional information this evening.

While these drinks should not replace your large daily intake of water, they would a nice treat with lunch or dinner for example to 'mix' things up a bit
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-13-10, 03:32

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Strictly speaking - the ones with fruit juice in them would be 'legal' once you reach the OWL level/rung that the fruit becomes 'legal'. Though on induction we are allowed a couple of tablespoons of lemon or lime juice, so the lemonade could be a possible choice.

Remember to count each 8 fluid ounces as being one serving of the max 3 per day of sweeteners.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 07:01

Stats: 252/185/112 Female 1.61
BF:
Progress:
Default Asda!

Asda's own brand lime and lemon has 0.4g of carb per 250ml and is made with Sucralose

same with asda zero and tastes better than coke zero
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 11:41

BF:

Most of Tesco's diet pop is sweetened with sucralose I think.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 04:47

Plan: Vegetatian Low Carb Plan
Stats: 200/183/160 Male 168
BF:
Progress: 43%

Sadly not - Tescos stuff is all sweetened with a combination of Aspartame, Acesulfame K or Sodium Saccharin.

So far, Sainsburies is the onle supermarket I've found to stock sucralose-sweetened drinks. I travel quite an extra way to stock up on their drinks.

That said, Tescos do now stock an own-brand sucralose granulated sweetner that's significantly cheaper than splenda but sadly all their pill sweetners are aspartame.

It's worth registering on tesco.com even if you never intend to do home shopping just because they list all the nutritional information for their products there, including carb/protein content.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-10, 05:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlord
Sadly not - Tescos stuff is all sweetened with a combination of Aspartame, Acesulfame K or Sodium Saccharin.

They must have changed their formulation as I have some bottles of their 'fiery diet ginger' pop with only sucralose for a sweetener. Admittedly I did buy them a year ago.
Thanks for the headsup, I shall not buy them in the future.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-10, 19:34

Plan: Vegetatian Low Carb Plan
Stats: 200/183/160 Male 168
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc
4grams of carbs per cup in the diet orange crush

That depends what you call a cup I suppose. In this case it'd be a pretty big cup at 3/4 of a litre as it has 1.3g per 250ml (http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceri...=1279416476501).
The cherryade is my personal favourite at 0.1g per 250ml and a great taste (http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceri...D=1279416673586)
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-10, 21:41

Plan: My own
Stats: 100/100/100 Male approx 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Zevia and Diet Virgils are the only two I will drink. They are 100% natural, delicious, and run the gamut of flavors.
Zevia uses stevia and erythritol, while Virgils uses stevia and xylitol. The latter is micro-brewed, and used exracts and herbs from all over the world. Definitely what you would call premium.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-10, 11:32

Plan: L. Carb, L. fat, Hi. prot
Stats: 209/160.8/154 Female 65.5 inches
BF:38%/33.9%/?%
Progress: 88%

That's reallty useful information. I'm off to Sainsbury's for my diet drinks in future!

Suz