Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 23:48

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 06:46

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
...Edit: My keytones are still showing in the high range, I'll see what the reading is in the AM.

The only correlation I have found in my journey, and it's still kind of hunchy, is that breath ketones measured by Ketonix meter seem to have about 24-48 hr lag related to both carb intake and exercise and even fasting - It's like my body is a "ketone sink" as in "heat sink" kind of thing.

Don't be alarmed if they continue to drop, just wait it out at your 20 carb intake, they may return or they may not drop at all if it was just the one instance of indulgence - don't know.

Also, as Mama Sebo pointed out, good on you for sharing. Thanks Bill!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 07:21

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
So the strangest part of this 'experiment' is that I learned that I may be able to deviate from the plan on occasion -- but I choose not to. I have enough trouble keeping my eating under control with the foods that I do consider on plan. I know that if I started throwing off-plan goodies into the mix on a regular basis I would come to regret that decision.

It's a little different for me in that I never in my life really cared very much that I was overweight, even after I became obese. Until a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, I could not see that it was doing me any harm. Even then, it was "pre" diabetes, not "diabetes", so I just quit drinking coke, started buying "healthy bread", my weight went down a bit and stabilized and I figured I was OK. I was only recently forced to admit that I was mortal like everyone else lol. All these side effects of the diabetes just creeped up on me along with my A1C and I suddenly realized I was in a world of hurt.

As I understand it, many of these low carb diets permit you, at some point, to reintroduce more cabs back into your diet. I plan to try that once I reach my target weight. That does not mean I plan on going back to my old WOE that made me obese to begin with.

My wife and I have tried to grow a little mini Garden of Eden and we have nourished and loved these wonderful fruit trees we have growing in our yard. This year we had a bumper crop of the sweetest, juiciest peaches you ever put to your lips that ripened just as I started my low carb diet and I only got to eat one peach. To think I could never again eat any of those peaches, or a slice of fresh baked apple pie, or have a slice of watermelon on a hot summer day, I think I'd just say screw it and let my food kill me.

My goal at this point is to get well and to eventually adopt a WOE that will permit me to enjoy just enough of my garden without gaining weight. To find a proper balance between near total abstinence, (20 carbs a day), and the diet that made me sick to begin with. I really want to be able to eat more than one of those peaches next year

Last edited by TucsonBill : Sat, Sep-09-17 at 07:28.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 08:26

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
It's a little different for me in that I never in my life really cared very much that I was overweight, even after I became obese. Until a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, I could not see that it was doing me any harm. Even then, it was "pre" diabetes, not "diabetes", so I just quit drinking coke, started buying "healthy bread", my weight went down a bit and stabilized and I figured I was OK. I was only recently forced to admit that I was mortal like everyone else lol. All these side effects of the diabetes just creeped up on me along with my A1C and I suddenly realized I was in a world of hurt.

As I understand it, many of these low carb diets permit you, at some point, to reintroduce more cabs back into your diet. I plan to try that once I reach my target weight. That does not mean I plan on going back to my old WOE that made me obese to begin with.

My wife and I have tried to grow a little mini Garden of Eden and we have nourished and loved these wonderful fruit trees we have growing in our yard. This year we had a bumper crop of the sweetest, juiciest peaches you ever put to your lips that ripened just as I started my low carb diet and I only got to eat one peach. To think I could never again eat any of those peaches, or a slice of fresh baked apple pie, or have a slice of watermelon on a hot summer day, I think I'd just say screw it and let my food kill me.

My goal at this point is to get well and to eventually adopt a WOE that will permit me to enjoy just enough of my garden without gaining weight. To find a proper balance between near total abstinence, (20 carbs a day), and the diet that made me sick to begin with. I really want to be able to eat more than one of those peaches next year

TB, although I am starting from a different place than you (thanks to genetics keeping me from obesity), I am with you 100% on hoping to find that balance between 20 carbs and the ability to enjoy a wide variety of good food.

I had previously experimented with a very simple approach to dieting, that involved nothing more than giving up the empty stuff I tended to eat such as fries, potato chips, corn chips, most sweets, some beer, and found that just with that my weight would over time start to drift down. I am on the road a lot, and that way I could buy fast food, skip the fries/chips, and hold the weight at bay. Of course, over time my firm resolve would fade....

I plan to be able to enjoy the things I have enjoyed again, such as pizza, sushi, beer, ice cream, although in moderation, once I finally kill off the man belly and get myself to Mt Rainier conquering weight. I am confident with adequate exercise and much better decisions on what carbohydrates to eat (hello, Five Guy burger in bun, no thanks to those great fries:-( ) I can stabilize below 190. Yes, I know, most plans do not survive initial contact with the carbohydrate army...time will tell.

What I will do differently this time is keep the LC diet as my safe harbor, and not hesitate to return to it if my weight pushes past my new red line (200 lbs). I successfully dropped some pounds 15 years ago on LC, and should have returned to LC way sooner than 220 lbs.

I guess, compared to some on this site, I am conflicted. I want to be able to wear 34 inch pants and eats some delicious carb loaded food too. But like most all here, my weight was impacting my quality of life (although in such a minimal way compared to some I am almost embarrassed to make that statement), and the LC way to weight loss has been a godsend.

I guess it just comes down, as all else, to life being a series of choices and compromises.

Anyway, glad you had a good time, and glad that you are back with resolve!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 17:42

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Followup:

It's been about 24 hours now since my "cheat" and my BG has definitely returned to the "normal" range as it was 91 after my walk today.

My keytone test strips, which have always been dark purple, between the "large" and "extra large?" colors on my test bottle, were between "medium" and "large" this AM and has remained unchanged this afternoon. Thud123 was correct it seems that the reaction was a bit delayed, but it appears I did not thow myself out of ketosis by just eating one single meal and a snack with carbs.

To be totally honest, I must also say that the meal did not stay with me long. As often happens when I eat Chinese or Sushi, it does have somewhat of a laxative effect. Don't get me wrong, it did not make me sick, but lets just say by this morning it was pretty much out of my system. The results may have differed if I'd had something like ice cream.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 05:15

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
...To think I could never again eat any of those peaches, or a slice of fresh baked apple pie, or have a slice of watermelon on a hot summer day, I think I'd just say screw it and let my food kill me.

It _is_ think "thinking" about it that makes it hard. Here's one of my favorite stories from a favorite monk that may help you as it's helped me. You may get to eat a peach or two in the future. who knows... Heck, you could eat one today. We are free to do as we will.

http://jayantha.tumblr.com/post/782...inking-about-it