Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 16:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/161/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Which American products are not available here?

Hi all. UK newbie here. I have been reading the forum like mad and have noticed there are some of the products mentioned don't seem to be available in the UK.

Hubby is in the US at the moment and so is there anything that he could bring back with him that would make my Atkins life easier? (I always get him to bring CVS dental floss because I like ot so much more than anything I can get in the UK!)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 07:58

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Atkins for me is mainly fresh unprocessed foods and it is simple to buy meat/cream/cheese/eggs/veggies anywhere.

I suppose if you intended on using any of the Atkins products you could get him to bring you some back for you, but really I don't use any of them, so haven't felt the lack of them.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 10:44

Plan: Dr Charles Clark / Atkins
Stats: 252/180/173.9 Male 1m 77.8cm
BF:33%/20.0%/21.9%
Progress: 92%

I know I've had trouble getting most of the ingredients for the brownies in the Low Carb Gourmet book, especially Dutch processed cocoa powder, unsweetened baking chocolate & fine oatmeal, and in the end paid a fortune to import them from the states. If anyone knows where to get them from in UK I'd be really grateful?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-28-10, 02:11
Registered Member

Stats: 173/161/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Thanks both. I thought there may be some vitamin supplements that were easier to get over there, plus store cupboard items.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-10, 05:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 248/232/150 Male 66 inches
BF:248/232/150
Progress: 16%

check out this uk based supplier of walden farms products

www.satisfood.co.uk
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-10, 12:17

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzawhite
I know I've had trouble getting most of the ingredients for the brownies in the Low Carb Gourmet book, especially Dutch processed cocoa powder, unsweetened baking chocolate & fine oatmeal, and in the end paid a fortune to import them from the states. If anyone knows where to get them from in UK I'd be really grateful?

Green & Blacks cocoa powder is excellent. You can purchase Lindt chocolate 72%, in Sainsbury's or Waitrose.

You can also purchase oatmeal on line :

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/fi...inity-500g.html
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 19:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 411/347/170 Female 5.9
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzawhite

Dutch processed cocoa powder is just cocoa powder with an alkali in it, quite a lot of cocoa powders are actually dutch processed. Green and Blacks cocoa powder is dutch processed, which I used to use, but I now buy chef's larder which is a bulk product that I buy from bookers. When you look at the ingredients it will either say 100% cocoa powder or it will have cocoa powder and and some alkali ingredient.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 02:38
Registered Member

Stats: 150/128/130 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 110%

Hi. I also use Green & Blacks cocoa powder, which has worked fine in all the recipes I've tried. Since reaching the maintenance stage I've been using a little Atkins muesli to sprinkle on berries and cream and I got that from avidlite.co.uk - they do sell a lot of frankenfoods but a few useful ingredients too.