Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 13:38

Plan: Atkins - New Diet Rev
Stats: 189/181.6/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Ack... carb cravings...

Hello!

Well, I've noticed in the past couple of days, I've had cravings for Diet Pepsi (yum, lol), cheese, and things beyond meat and eggs.

I have found uncured hotdogs and am out so I'm annoyed about that because they're SO good. Perhaps too good. But they're zero carbs.

I've had cravings for more than the hamburger patties I've been cooking. Perhaps I need to change it up. The meat isn't that tasty that is used with this brand. I think I'm bored.

I'm more inclined to eat microwave bacon, which is great but has a couple of carbs.

I'm following Atkins so 4 ounces of cheese are allowed. But the other night I maxed that out.

I had a week of cravings and then my second week the cravings disappeared. But I do have anxiety which definitely would explain why I would have cravings. It's why I gained weight in the first place.

My interpretation of advice has been to cut out things that cause cravings rather than give in. I know there's diet books that say "just eat a little bit of everything," but my portion control has always been awful, so that never works. I can't be that structured.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 14:16

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Are you eating any leafy green vegetables, celery, pork rinds for crunch, fish instead of meat, different kinds of meat (had lamb chops the other day...awesome)?

I personally don't sweat an extra carb or 2 in my bacon or ham or salad dressing, as long as I am only eating meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, cheese and nuts. I am not saying you should gorge on nuts or sugar cured bacon or not stay clear of high carb salad dressing, but if you are not cheating there will be little impact overall.

I like low carb because I like to eat and hate being hungry, and I can have a 1+ lb. steak and a large salad for dinner and still lose weight. I don't sweat the details, but also do not cheat. It works for me.

And yes, craving will come and go. Heck, a chocolate cookie would be awesome right now and if you saw the picture of my pantry, you know I could choose between several kinds. But instead I may go grab a few almonds and get ready to lift......eye on the prize and all.

Success to you!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-05-19, 08:02

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Patrick, sounds like you're kinda new to all of this....

So yesterday, I got up, and made Coffee for the kids & I. (Take an egg, a TBS of coconut oil, and a TBS of cream... whiz with an immersion blender, then pour in coffee & whiz some more.)

That held us -- through our workout -- until lunch.

Lunch was shepherd's pie I'd made a few days before: Some ground lamb & ground beef, cooked up with some chopped onions, a layer of collard greens, and then the "white mash" top: Riced cauliflower (purchased frozen ~ Costco, but you can find it lots of places, now.), mixed with some cream, some cream cheese, some shredded cheese, and topped with paprika. Cook the whole thing in the over at 350 for 1/2 hour... SO FREAKING GOOD.

I had a handful of almonds for a late dinner, because I wasn't hungry the rest of the day (but got SUPER hungry just as it was time to lay down, so had a few to get me through.)

A couple nights ago?
T-bone steak, with roasted brussels-sprouts. (Cut them in half, sprinkle with minced garlic -- bought pre-minced, in a jar -- and olive oil (only because my butter was still frozen). Put in oven at 350 for an hour. When they look "burnt", they're done -- crisp on edges, beautifully soft inside, and SO delicious)

There are so many things to eat besides "just meat and eggs", and so many ways to prepare foods that are wholesome & satisfying, and don't take much work/skill.

If you're buying prepared meats, don't just look at the carb-counts. Look at the ingredients. often, there's a lot of sugar in there, but it comes in under the limit that they have to list on the nutrition label.

Never buy pre-made patties. REAL ground beef is cheaper, tastes better, and you can season it yourself. (If you're new to the concept, start wtih salt, pepper, and some basil/parsley. Sprinkle a little on top, mix it in, and make the patty by hand. Takes an extra 45 seconds, but tastes a thousand times better.)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-05-19, 13:53

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Often it is the additives and flavourings in things like hot dogs and bacon that trigger cravings. I find I can get cravings-free faster if I focus on plain meat, fish & poultry with pure fat and add plenty of salt and individual herbs/spices (mixes often have msg, maltodextrin or "natural flavorings" that cause cravings). If necessary, I eat a bit more than usual to kill cravings. 2-3 days of zero carb gets me over the cravings hump.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-05-19, 14:58

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

It's possible you are not getting enough fat in your diet and that is the real craving. I would say as a first to eat more fat. For real carb cravings (for sugar, chocolate, fruit, etc.) magnesium really helps. I take oral supplements and also use Epsom salts in my bath. It can help a lot.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-05-19, 18:57

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
It's possible you are not getting enough fat in your diet and that is the real craving. I would say as a first to eat more fat. For real carb cravings (for sugar, chocolate, fruit, etc.) magnesium really helps. I take oral supplements and also use Epsom salts in my bath. It can help a lot.

I agree! I keep my fat % at 65 to 70% and I don't get any cravings at all. This is epic for me, because I'm an such a sugarholic.