Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 15:12

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz
Put 3 cups heavy whipping cream in an electric mixer bowl and sprinkle a box of sugar free Jello over the cream and whip until it makes stiff peaks. The jello will keep it from "deflating" for several days in the fridge. Makes a LOT of "fluff" as my husband calls it.

This sounded so good & easy I made it. Three cups of cream is too much for us, so I tried a teaspoon of jello powder to 1 cup of cream. I'm not sure that was enough as it's very soft - I thought the jello would stiffen it up more.

Still really good & pretty. I made regular jello with the powder that was left, then when it was set, covered it with the jello whipped cream. Very pretty - very tasty.

How would you describe the finished "fluff" - stiff? Soft like whipped cream? Or ???
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 03:55
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 186/161/160 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 96%

It is pretty stiff. It whipped up to stiff peaks and held it for more than a week in the fridge.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 07:29

BF:

Thanks Sharon! Next time I'll either increase the jello or decrease the cream. And thanks again for the recipe - it's not something I would have thought of on my own.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 19:00

BF:

Sharon - one more question!

After making it again & still tasting great, but not stiff, I got to wondering - what size box of sugar free jello did you use?

Made it with black cherry this time & loved it, but the artificial colors did something weird to the whipped cream - it had tiny polka dots! And some of the dots were blue.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 21:05

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Bill, isnt jello fun?!?!?!?

Beating your own whip cream is easy peasey--1/2 cup and a bowl and whisk. Add a few drops liquid sucralose, or granular. You probably noticed that you can use less sweetener than before starting LC.

I have made homemade jello using gelatin and fruitjuces but of course that is more carbs. My boys like it though.

Sugar free jello is a SUPER intro into the gelatine world of desserts. Only limited by your imagination!!

You can get creative using a crystal light type drink mix and gelatine--takes a little trial and error to find the mix you like. My personal favorite was apple, with whipped cream of course.

( Carefully count the carbs--these are not zero. But they sure hit the spot.)
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-18, 03:14

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I use Great Lakes beef gelatin. Knox plain gelatin packets work fine, but Knox does not state, nor do they guarantee which animals the gelatin comes from.

Great Lakes beef gelatin and whole leaf stevia work very well for "jello" creations. Some prefer monk fruit to stevia.

RE: Whipping the Cream

Freezer the beaters for the mixer, and freezing the mixing bowl make it easier to whip the cream to a nice stiff consistency.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-18, 09:43
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I get headaches from the aspartame in sugar-free jello if I eat very much of it. I can handle Splenda and stevia, but not aspartame. Once in awhile I'll have a little bit of S/F jello, but not very often. Not much of a sweets eater, so I just skip desserts most of the time.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 14:40
Registered Member

BF:

Yea, I can't eat the sugar free jello any more, but my husband loves his "fluff" so I make it for him. I've made some with knox, liquid splenda, and unsweetened kool aid. I've also made chocolate with cocoa powder, splenda and knox.

I beat mine in my big kitchenaid mixer. I use the whisk attachment and just keep beating until it gets stiff.

Aspartame is one of my triggers for Interstitial Cystitis. Gives me all the symptoms of a bladder infection.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-18, 10:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I've been thinking about mixing Knox unflavored gelatine with Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger Tea instead of Kool-Aid. Sounds crazy but it just might work. With a little Splenda, it will be sweet enough and the citrus will give it just the right amount of zing. I guess that's why they call it Zinger.

If I try it, I'll let you all know how it works out. If it's a fail, I'm going to give up the ghost and try unsweetened Kool-Aid.

Last edited by barb712 : Mon, Apr-23-18 at 19:06.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-18, 21:34
Registered Member

BF:

I don't know about using the tea...you don't add any liquid except the heavy cream, so I don't know how you would use the tea. Unless it is an instant powdered tea.
The chocolate is very good. Just add cocoa powder (I use Hershey's Special Dark) sweetener of your choice and knox gelatin. I've made it with just knox, cream and mio drink mix.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-18, 12:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Thanks, Sharon. The chocolate sounds good!

I've never used Knox gelatine before, so I assumed you had to mix in some hot water with the powder and let it set. I was thinking I could use hot tea instead of hot water.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-18, 09:40
Registered Member

BF:

I just sprinkle the knox on the cream and let it sit for about five minutes to soften, then add the flavoring and sweetener and beat like mad.