Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-20, 16:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins NDR (2002)
Stats: 270.2/236/165 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 33%

I'm hoping that I can still drink Pepsi Max when I start Atkins (gotta wait for some blood work for my GP before I begin, because of all my meds & Vit. D issues). I used to drink 2 or 3 2ltr bottles of the regular stuff every week, but recently switched to Pepsi Max - hence the reason my stats show me having lost weight already; purely from the switch over.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-20, 19:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

BV....... Im gonna go off topic ........dumping sodas are a good thing for your bones. Sodas strip the bone of minerals to balance the acids from the soda.

Coffee is a better source of caffiene imho.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-20, 08:27

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
BV....... Im gonna go off topic ........dumping sodas are a good thing for your bones. Sodas strip the bone of minerals to balance the acids from the soda.

Coffee is a better source of caffeine imho.

+1 on that Ms Arielle. And water is a much better way to get hydrated.

The only liquids I drink daily are coffee, tea and tap water. Occasionally I'll have a glass of red wine. That's it. Heavy whipping cream and stevia go into the coffee and black tea, and the green only gets stevia. I am convinced that Stevia is good for my gut flora.

I use Kal brand stevia because there are no other ingredients, and also no weird after taste.

Since I discovered that ground coffee can contain up to 10% insect parts, I've gone to grinding my own.

I read that the roaches infest the bean storage. After roasting they just get ground up with the coffee. Now I'm not opposed to a little extra protein, but I like to choose the way I get it

Google ground coffee insects or ground coffee roaches and you will find there is an 'acceptable amount' of the vermin in there according to the FDA.

When I started Atkins, back when Bob A was alive, he discouraged caffeine, but since then even Atkins now allows it as far as I know.

I drink up to 2 cups of coffee per day, and up to 3 cups of tea (green and black) and I'm down about 65 pounds now, so the caffeine doesn't seem to hurt me.

Bob
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-20, 10:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

One of my treats now is good coffee. I get it in bean form from the health food store and it is ground there. (Since home grinders scare the cats so badly.)

I also found a local roaster who does dark roast flavored coffee. YEAH.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-20, 22:38

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Found this recently - Mark Sisson's Daily Apple: Does Coffee Break a Fast?.

_
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-20, 03:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Found this recently - Mark Sisson's Daily Apple: Does Coffee Break a Fast?.

_

I love the way Mark tackles these issues. Thanks!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-20, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Petey, I am OK with some caffeinated coffee, and can lose weight with it. However, I have to limit how much I have through the day, because if I drink too much, I stay up too late, and that stresses my body which can stop me losing and it can also cause a big weightgain just from fluid retention and inflammation.

I haven't noticed it affecting my blood sugar, though I don't test that, and just go by how I feel. However, I only have coffee, then an egg in the morning, or coffee alone, because anything approaching carbs in the morning makes me feel dreadful and sets up horrible cravings by mid-morning, which don't really go away all day. Maybe the coffee is the reason for that.

Sorry it's not a very scientific input. If you're concerned about blood sugar you could test yours to see what's going on.

I think Dr. Atkins' suggestion that people stop caffeine was a very good one, as it could create the production of stress hormones, which might increase food cravings, and it might keep people up later at night, meaning they're more likely to indulge in late-night snacking.

If it's not a problem for you, then go ahead and enjoy your caffeine. To my recollection, that was the advice of Dr. Atkins himself in my diet book, which is the 2004 version, I believe.

One final point which might be worth noting. At the beginning of the lockdown, we couldn't buy our usual coffee, so I halved my coffee consumption. I also couldn't get eggs, so I skipped my usual breakfast egg. That cut out all the cravings and hunger I used to feel, and made it so easy to start seriously low carbing again, rather than doing it half-heartedly. I have lost 27lbs since then. Whether it was the reduction in coffee consumption or skipping the egg, I don't know. But I have resumed eating an egg in the morning with no problems, so it could be that the culprit was too much coffee. It's something I need to consider seriously, as I am addicted and can drink far more of it than is good for me.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Mon, Aug-24-20 at 13:23.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-20, 13:52

BF:

I can drink 3 cups of coffee and still get to sleep right away. From what I read on-line I must be a slow coffee metabolizer.

We're all different. We have to test many things out on ourselves.

Coffee, tea and lots of water daily plus an infrequent glass of wine are the only drinks I consume.

YMMV

Bob
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-20, 16:51
Registered Member

BF:

I think a large amount of my daily calorie intake was coming from fizzy drinks, because I don't actually eat a huge amount of food - just a lot of the wrong kind of crap, lol. Figured it would be easier on myself to switch over from regular Pepsi to Pepsi Max (and Monster Pacific Punch to the Monster Zero) before going on to start induction (take the edge off of the massive drop in carbs every day) and in the past couple of weeks I've already dropped about a stone/14lbs without any change in my eating patterns. I'm hoping that bodes well for how I'm going to do on the actual plan!! *fingers crossed*

This week I've taken it from three bottles of Pepsi Max to just the one over the course of the week and one can of Monster Zero per week. Water intake has been upped to roughly 2 litres a day (what with all the grotesquely hot weather right now) and I have one cup of coffee a day with liquid Sucralose. Still using the 'CoffeeMate' creamer until the end of the week when I should hopefully be in induction.

Bring it on!
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Aug-25-20, 12:21

BF:

Jim's Organic Whole Bean - new discovery. Pretty good coffee.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Aug-25-20, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/221/150 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I drink 1/2 decaf & 1/2 caffeinated coffee 2x per week and on the weekends.

I also drink decaf tea and sometimes mix decaf coffee & decaf tea on the weekends. I will see if there is any effect on weight loss.

Favorite Coffee Drink

Decaf Coffee
Almond Milk or Heavy Cream
Dash of Cinnamon
1/2 pack of Stevia

Sometimes served hot and sometimes served cold with ice cubes
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-20, 12:52
Registered Member

BF:

It's amazing how happy something as simple as finding a really good, tasty, cup of coffee can make a person. :-)