Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 08:38

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I just saw this. Hope you found some relief, but making sure Vitamin D is optimal has been a real boon for many of us.

Also, i use chelated magesium. It does't upset stomach the way the regular stuff does. Take it at night before bed.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 09:49

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%

I take the magnesium citrate. It's not too bad on my stomach and it helps me sleep, helps keep the pain down. I've also been taking olive leaf for an unrelated problem so maybe that will help as well.

You are right, I should be taking my vit d as well. I'll add that to my morning regimen.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-09-14, 16:26
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

Interesting. I've never been told any vitamins would help! I'll have to check and see if I can take them with my other meds. I also have APS, and some ruptured disks. I'm willing to try anything! The only thing that really helped was lyrica, but I can't afford it even with insurance.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-13-14, 20:15

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

I'm older than most of you and I've had fibro since 1979 when I was 39. Back then they didn't have a diagnosis for me and finally, in 1983 or 84 a doctor diagnosed me. The medicine I took over the years that worked were arthritis medicine. My gut can't tolerate them anymore.
The main that's done the most good over the years is exercise--swimming laps, water exercise, stationery bike and recumbent bike. Also have your thyroid and your parathyroids. They can both mimic fibo and a diseased parathyroid can cause bone pain and a whole bunch of other symptoms. Some of them are similar to PMS problems. I wish you well.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 05:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

There is an antibiotic treatment called the Vanderbilt Protocol.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/1...iple-sclerosis/

My husband with CFIDS did it for five years... we have now weaned him off it.

We are currently starting the Wahls Protocol.

http://terrywahls.com/about-the-wahls-protocol/

Several here on the board are doing it, too.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-14, 08:08

Has anyone used the magnesium citrate liquid? Wondered how it compares to the powder? I still do the powder and every morning have a very, shall we say, loose movement. I'd prefer not to have that but am Leary of losing benefit by going to a pill or liquid if it's not strong enough. Thoughts?

Also a friend is taking MSM for another problem and I started researching to and it's supposed to help with pain of fibro! Learn something new every day. So I bought some. Don't know if I tell a difference yet or not, nothing monumental but maybe it has to build up.

I take b complex with 1200 b12 liquid a day and I was taking D-Ribose, both for energy. But that Ribose I have trouble taking. Stinks so bad and hard to stomach for me. Don't feel like they're improving my energy but I keep trying.

I'm hoping the MSM helps with daily pain, the magnesium helps at night but I need something for the day. Any other suggestions? Haven't tried the turmeric yet. Must...

Last edited by ICanDoThis : Sat, Jun-21-14 at 10:37.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-14, 08:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Have you tried fixing the gut with probiotics, fermented foods and fibers, etc as suggested in the Chris Kresser article posted?
http://chriskresser.com/is-fibromya...o-and-leaky-gut
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-14, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Have you tried fixing the gut with probiotics, fermented foods and fibers, etc as suggested in the Chris Kresser article posted?
http://chriskresser.com/is-fibromya...o-and-leaky-gut
i had not read that. Thanks for sharing. I don't believe I have any gut issues but eating more probiotics is great for anyone. I believe my fibro was caused after an accident which lead to pain, sleeplessness and stress. The terrible threes.

In January before I went back on lc I had started making my own sauerkraut and kombucha and eating/drinking daily, just to get healthier, not to treat any underlying problems. But when I went back on lc I was just worried how to exactly count carbs on those items since it would depend on how long they're fermented and how much of the sugars have been eaten up by the scoby. So I quit eating them. I miss them though.

I took my scoby out the other day, been keeping it in the fridge, and I want to make kombucha again. I may just need to start up again... Thanks for the info.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-14, 16:43

BF:

My husband has CFS/ME; considered to be the "neurological end" of fibromyalgia. Thanks to info on this board, he was tested for the MTFHR gene, and came up positive for a mutation.

Since supplementation with methylated B vitamins, he's felt better. This helps his system clear toxins. I would see about checking on that; 40% of the population has it.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-14, 06:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This morning on the Wheat Belly Blog,
Dr. Davis asks:
What happened to your FIBROMYALGIA with wheat elimination?

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialWheatBelly?fref=ts

144 comments so far...many interesting comments and suggestions.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jun-27-14 at 09:05.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-14, 09:20

Anyone who takes magnesium for pain like I do, have you noticed lucid dreaming at night? Granted, I take my magnesium right before bed but man! I could tell you all dreams I've had in vivid detail! I never used to remember my dreams! I'm sure it's fine but sometimes they're so active, I wonder if that's why I wake up tired many mornings? Too much running or doing stuff in my dreams?! Lol. At least most of them are not scary or tragic dreams. I used to have those.

Anyway, just wondering if it's just crazy me...

Last edited by ICanDoThis : Sat, Jul-05-14 at 20:21.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-14, 11:34

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

The Vanderbilt protocol jumped out at me, I noticed the antibiotics are rather parallel to the ones used to treat Lyme disease. There are many who believe that MS/FM/CFS are caused by the lyme spirochete, and lyme disease is far more common than the CDC leads us to believe. People that have had it for a while will often test negative until after they've had proper antibiotic treatment for a little while.

Magnesium can help you sleep better, if you have been sleep deprived up until now your body might be compensating for the missed REM sleep from before. Lucid dreams should not be making you feel spent or tired though. If you think the dreams are making you wake up tired and drag through your day, you might want to get that checked out, since it could be indicative of a sleep disorder or something else.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-14, 08:52

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Yes, I've noticed the magnesium seems to make my dreams move vivid as well. The difference in the restfulness I feel when using it is profound though.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-14, 09:35

BF:

I've always had vivid dreams, so I can't say the magnesium changed anything

However, I have become a HUGE fan of sleep masks. It's that or a completely dark room, which is much harder to achieve than finding a comfortable sleep mask.

DreamEssentials.com has an incredible selection. That's where I found my favorite, the Bamboo Breathe.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-14, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I've always had vivid dreams, so I can't say the magnesium changed anything

However, I have become a HUGE fan of sleep masks. It's that or a completely dark room, which is much harder to achieve than finding a comfortable sleep mask.

DreamEssentials.com has an incredible selection. That's where I found my favorite, the Bamboo Breathe.
yes I'm having the worst time getting to sleep sometimes because of that terrible 1" sliver of light coming in the window. But I don't want to put up light canceling drapes because unless you tape the edge to the wall, there's still a crack! Lol. I've bought 2, TWO!! sleep masks and have somehow managed to lose them both. Need to get another. That would help. Thanks for the reminder.

Sipping my magnesium right now...