Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-15, 08:50

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Thanks for this information about Quest bars Liz. No wonder they taste so good and no wonder I lost no weight when eating them. If they were advertised on the package they were 4 grams net carbs, that is probably why I ate them. I no longer abide by the 'net carb' count but have taken the hint from Westman's ketogenic diet booklet to count total grams instead. So the Quest bar carb count would fill my daily allowance.

By the way, the only place I could find low carb bars was at health food stores. Had to read the labels closely. When the clerk and I searched for hi protein bars, the carb count was usually astronomical. It is hard to find bars under 10 net carbs and harder still to find one under 10 grams total carbs and that has any flavor.

Liz, thanks for the vote of confidence. I haven't read those studies yet but they look fascinating. I am not familiar with the website but plan to do that today. Appreciate the link. Whether I disagree with the studies or not, it is always good to read them.

Interestingly, right after my last post, I went to a grocery store I don't often frequent (I'm out of town) and there was the largest array of protein bars I've ever seen (I never find myself in that aisle at home). They had 8 or 10 different Quest bars. I bought one to try out of morbid curiousity. I will not have a whole one, but may have a quarter to see what happens.

I will lok forward to any comments you might have on that website, Benay.

While I agree that BG readings in the 300s are high, I am always bothered by the judgement of those who eat different amounts of carbs than we do personally. 100 grams per day is still considered low carb compared with the SAD diet, the diet recommended by the majority of health professionals, diabetes "educators" etc. I applaud that poor woman for stumbling on that site and commenting. To me it shows she's trying to do something to understand her situation, a necessary precursor to change.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 05:57

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Research on gluconeogenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Interesting, JEY. I suspect no one really understands exactly under what conditions protein converts to glucose. I'd love to know Benay's opinion on these studies and I'd love to see more studies. That website has always seemed very credible, very balanced, to me.

Well Liz, I went to the website and read the blog on gluconeogenesis mentioned by Jey. At your request, here is my 'take' on that blog post.

http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-y...es-it-turn.html
Quote:
Author’s introduction: “We have seen the claim that any protein you eat in excess of your immediate needs will be turned into glucose by spontaneous gluconeogenesis ¹. (Gluconeogenesis (GNG) is the process by which glucose is made out of protein in the liver and kidneys.) Some people think that because protein can be turned into glucose, it will, once other needs are taken care of, and that therefore keto dieters should be careful not to eat too much protein.
While we believe there are valid reasons for limiting protein intake, experimental evidence does not support this one. In our opinion, it makes sense physiologically for GNG to be a demand-driven rather than supply-driven process, because of the need to keep blood glucose within tight bounds.”

Quote:
First study cited lasted only 11 days
– Comment: is 11 days long enough for the body to convert to a stable gluconeogenesis? I don’t know. We do not know the parameters of the keto diet or anything about the sample. Clinical trials/experiments are only generalizable to similar groups and not to everyone on a keto or low carb diet. (Researchers define a low-carb diet differently by amount of carb grams. Do keto researchers have as wide a variation in their definitions of keto diets?)

2nd study
Quote:
“subjects on a glycolytic, or carb-based, rather than a ketogenic diet” ingested 50 gm protein with no appreciable effect
Comment: Too little information to judge the validity of the study.

3rd study
Quote:
“There are other experiments in which increasing the available material for GNG to high levels didn't increase GNG ³, ⁴. In these experiments GNG substrates were infused directly into the blood rather than eaten”
Comment: Since normal people eat protein rather than take it IV,, are these studies relevant to the discussion? Even people who are tube fed would have to digest their protein and the digestive process may influence the results.
The authors conclude:
Quote:
“Summary: In sum, then, there is no evidence that we could find that consuming excess protein will increase glucose production from GNG. On the other hand, there is much suggestive evidence that it does not.”

Liz, I did not find these studies convincing, although the authors of this blog appear convinced. We don’t have the studies themselves from which to judge but what we have I am not convinced.

Gluconeogenesis appears to be relevant only in the face of extremely low or no carbs but even that needs to be defined clearly and given a range that all people will fall into (for example obese versus lean, 20 yr old versus 70 year old, male versus female, metabolic disease or not).

The variability of the current studies in terms of design will affect outcomes. Until we can tease out differences in sample selection, variables and their controls, and length of the study, we just don’t have much solid ground to work from to draw conclusions.

I have accepted the 30% protein guideline without questioning it until Westman et al suggested “hold down the protein, don’t go overboard.” I would need to re-read Volek and Phinney for their definition even if they were just interested in lean hi-performance athletes.

PS What did you think of the Quest bar Liz? Which one did you choose? What did it say on the nutrition label about carbs (total, sugar alcohol, fiber, sugar), protein and fat? Just curious.

Last edited by Benay : Fri, Jan-02-15 at 06:20.
  #138   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 08:27

Quote:
Well Liz, I went to the website and read the blog on gluconeogenesis mentioned by Jey. At your request, here is my 'take' on that blog

I have accepted the 30% protein guideline without questioning it until Westman et al suggested “hold down the protein, don’t go overboard.” I would need to re-read Volek and Phinney for their definition even if they were just interested in lean hi-performance athletes.

PS What did you think of the Quest bar Liz? Which one did you choose? What did it say on the nutrition label about carbs (total, sugar alcohol, fiber, sugar), protein and fat? Just curious.

Thanks, Benay. I hope I didn't cause you to read it if you weren't already so inclined. However I know you have the background to wade thru the mumbo jumbo. I may have come to the same conclusion but wondered if i missed something relevant.

The whole "adequate, not excessive protein" thing is so poorly defined. One thing I've always thought though is that the amount of protein required to maintain muscle probably depends on amount of lean mass, not percentage of calories. I used to follow Westman Phinney and Volek's recommendations in NANY of 70-145 g proten based on my height and gender, typically eating 90-100 g per day, roughly 25% of my cals. Now I aim for 65-80 grams, ~20% of my cals, feel fine and notice no decline in energy or strength or stamina.

I bought some sort of vanilla quest bar. It seemed to be the lowest carbs of what I found. I'm currently travelling, visiting friends and families and am finding myself with more opportunities than I need to eat. So it sits untouched in my suitcase. However if and when I eat it, I'll report back here.
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 07:27

BF:

Quote:
The whole "adequate, not excessive protein" thing is so poorly defined. One thing I've always thought though is that the amount of protein required to maintain muscle probably depends on amount of lean mass, not percentage of calories. I used to follow Westman Phinney and Volek's recommendations in NANY of 70-145 g proten based on my height and gender, typically eating 90-100 g per day, roughly 25% of my cals. Now I aim for 65-80 grams, ~20% of my cals, feel fine and notice no decline in energy or strength or stamina..

Liz, one of the things I valued in the original Protein Power (1996) that was left out of the Protein Power Life Plan, was the calculation of "adequate protein intake" based upon height, weight, hip and waist (for women) plus wrist (for men) measurements that were then placed into a formula called "conversion constants" (page 71 chart). Once these factors were given, then you calculated your percentage of body fat, then calculated lean body weight. There was also a calculation for ideal body weight. Then you were given a table for ideal body fat percentages for gender and age.

From this information, you could find your daily protein intake in grams.

For women over 61, they suggested a range of 22-31% body fat based upon all these calculations.

The following chapter is on calculating individual protein requirements.
Quote:
"each and every pound of LBM needs six-tenths of 1 gram of protein every day if you are a person of moderate physical activity . . . Your specific daily protein need will depend on how many pounds of LBM you have and how active you are. If you are 40 % or more above your ideal weight, you should rate yourself one activity category higher (more active) than you actually are to account for the increased work you must do when you walk, run, climb stairs etc., carrying the excess pounds along."
They then give 5 levels from sedentary to athlete which ranges from 0.5 gm/pound to 0.9 gm/pound. Then you calculate your own daily total protein need by multiplying your pounds of lean body mass by your activity number. To get your amount of protein/meal, simply divide your total by the number of your daily meals.

Although I valued all these calculations, most readers seemed to have problems with it. I hope they don't throw them out for the revision. Making me do the math brought it all home -- far more than just looking up values on a table.

On page 154 they have "Protein Equivalency Charts" in which they provide a breakdown of whole protein foods to meet that amount. For example, if the total daily protein intake per day falls within the 81-100 grams -- that would translate to about 34 grams/meal or about 5 ounces/ each of 3 meals. What that looks like in food would be 5 ounces of meat, fish or poultry, or 4 oz of meat plus 1 oz of hard cheese etc.

I found these recommendations for protein consumption in line with the recent Volek & Phinney as well as for Westman et all NAFNY. So, there must be a common source or Q-document for these values somewhere.

Sorry if this is overwhelming you, Liz. I do value the original PP for these calculations alone (among other things as well).

Last edited by Benay : Sat, Jan-03-15 at 07:40.
  #140   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 08:33

Quote:
Liz, one of the things I valued in the original Protein Power (1996) that was left out of the Protein Power Life Plan, was the calculation of "adequate protein intake" based upon height, weight, hip and waist (for women) plus wrist (for men) measurements that were then placed into a formula called "conversion constants" (page 71 chart). Once these factors were given, then you calculated your percentage of body fat, then calculated lean body weight. There was also a calculation for ideal body weight. Then you were given a table for ideal body fat percentages for gender and age.

From this information, you could find your daily protein intake in grams.

For women over 61, they suggested a range of 22-31% body fat based upon all these calculations.

The following chapter is on calculating individual protein requirements. They then give 5 levels from sedentary to athlete which ranges from 0.5 gm/pound to 0.9 gm/pound. Then you calculate your own daily total protein need by multiplying your pounds of lean body mass by your activity number. To get your amount of protein/meal, simply divide your total by the number of your daily meals.

Although I valued all these calculations, most readers seemed to have problems with it. I hope they don't throw them out for the revision. Making me do the math brought it all home -- far more than just looking up values on a table.

On page 154 they have "Protein Equivalency Charts" in which they provide a breakdown of whole protein foods to meet that amount. For example, if the total daily protein intake per day falls within the 81-100 grams -- that would translate to about 34 grams/meal or about 5 ounces/ each of 3 meals. What that looks like in food would be 5 ounces of meat, fish or poultry, or 4 oz of meat plus 1 oz of hard cheese etc.

I found these recommendations for protein consumption in line with the recent Volek & Phinney as well as for Westman et all NAFNY. So, there must be a common source or Q-document for these values somewhere.

Sorry if this is overwhelming you, Liz. I do value the original PP for these calculations alone (among other things as well).

Thanks, Benay. Not at all overwhelming, in fact the most detailed and definitive method for calculating protein that I've seen. I wonder if that's where W, P and V got their wide range for protein.... I've often wondered, under what conditions should I eat 70 grams? Under what conditions would I require 145 (twice as much?). At first I took the middle ground, but that's a compromise on all levels - I want something more definitive. I entered the LC world thru South Beach, where they suggest you just eat to appetite and not count anything. never bought the PP books. I'll try to find the original used at Amazon.

I finally had an opportunity to eat my Quest Bar yesterday - late breakfast, no lunch, late-ish dinner. I din't check glucose beforehand, but it was 156 about an hour after eating it, so I'm sure i went up the same 50 (or 60?) pts that those on the video did. And then i felt a little weird, mildly hypo, something I never feel while eating LC. An hour later it was 121. Still high, but a huge drop. Too much of a roller coaster for me. It didn't taste good enough that I'll ever be tempted again. In fact, I found it downright weird, though the artificial sweetner aftertaste was less pronounced than Atkins bars.
  #141   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 09:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'd be really interested in the new PP book. I know they were soliciting ideas for topics they'd like to see, but I don't pay much attention to the blogosphere and and I don't know what was suggested. I sure hope the "excess protein/excess BG" issue will be addressed.

It has to be difficult to assess one's true dietary protein needs. I imagine there are many factors that can't really be quantified. How about the immune system? You may not feel sick, but your body could be fighting an infection and your protein requirements go up. Or would they?

How would it change based on your protein preferences? We all seem to have different "go-tos". Someone who eats a ton of fish might have different protein needs from a similar person who eats a ton of chicken or a ton of beef. We could break it down to different amino acid needs and REALLY get obsessive about it.
  #142   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 10:25

BF:

Liz, I dug out my original PP (1996), went to the calculation page for body fat and LBM based upon weight, height, waist, hip and age and did all the calculations for 2 different heights (I lost 2 inches of height when I had both knees replaced), gave myself an activity factor of 0.6 (next to the lowest), then calculated my daily protein requirement.

Here are my results:
Daily protein requirement based upon calculated Lean Body Weight x 0.6 activity factor = 65 grams daily or about 9.3 ounces total for the day and about 3 ounces per meal.

I, of course, eat more protein than that which might account for my slow weight loss.

The calculations were an eye opener for me and I tried every way I knew how to increase my protein allowance through the calculations. Since I could not do that I just entered what I ate in the Diet Power program and watched my daily weights. Talk about agonizingly slow!

I may be eating 20 gm or less of carbs but I am not eating 3 oz protein/meal. I am lucky when I can get in between 4-5 ounces.

Thanks for making me do this again--always need a heads-up. And taking the time to do the calculations makes it far more real for me. I do hope they keep these calculations in the 2nd edition.
  #143   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 10:32

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
To CoachJeff on compliance. "I hear you" as we used to say. I agree, many do not monitor or measure at all. Others are more interested in why/why not the diet is working and monitor carefully. I can accept your observations on this. But, remember, most LC books are careful to point out that you don't have to count your carbs--just follow the plan. As a result, many low carbers are loosey goosey about what they eat but think they are following a low carb diet.

I agree, because I have seen it in myself. I have reached goal more than once, settled into the "I'm 'normal' now, I don't have to be so strict" frame of mind, and let a little bit of this or that sneak by. Only to wake up a year later and 20 or 30 pounds heavier, realizing what an idiot I had been. It's really, REALLY easy to do, particularly when your weight/health isn't the catastrophe it was when you started. Then you have a daily reminder of WHY you have to be so strict.
  #144   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 10:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
I agree, because I have seen it in myself. I have reached goal more than once, settled into the "I'm 'normal' now, I don't have to be so strict" frame of mind, and let a little bit of this or that sneak by. Only to wake up a year later and 20 or 30 pounds heavier, realizing what an idiot I had been. It's really, REALLY easy to do, particularly when your weight/health isn't the catastrophe it was when you started. Then you have a daily reminder of WHY you have to be so strict.

Good points KDH!

addendum to my previous post: Westman et al in NAFNY on pages 42-43 give their recommended daily protein allowances for men and women based solely on height.

For my two heights the daily protein intake is more liberal than my calculations from PP: 73-152 grams/ day with an average of 16 ounces per day (as compared to 9) and at 2 inches taller: 76-159 grams per day with an average of 17 ounces per day.

So Liz, your protein reduction seems more in line with PP than NAFNY.
  #145   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 11:45

I ordered a used copy of PP, to be delivered Tues, and look forward to going thru the calcs. I think my reduced protein is going to be right in line as well. Thanks so much for suggesting it, will report back when I run the numbers.
  #146   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 12:13

BF:

Quote:
I ordered a used copy of PP, to be delivered Tues, and look forward to going thru the calcs. I think my reduced protein is going to be right in line as well. Thanks so much for suggesting it, will report back when I run the numbers.

Can't wait!
  #147   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-15, 08:50

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Perhaps the question should be "Does a VLC diet eventually make you insulin resistant?"

And if it does, is that a good thing? Even if it does occur within the context of a low glucose diet?
  #148   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-15, 10:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://eatingacademy.com/personal/e...ogenous-ketones

Quote:
As seen in this exercise, glucose tends to fall quite precipitously following exogenous ketone ingestions. Without exception, every time I ingested these compounds (which I’ve probably done a total of 25 to 30 times), my glucose would fall, sometimes as low as 3 mM (just below 60 mg/dL). Despite this, I never felt symptomatic from hypoglycemia. Richard Veech (NIH) one of the pioneers of exogenous ketones, has suggested this phenomenon is the result of the ketones activating pyruvate dehydogenase (PDH), which enhances insulin-mediated glucose uptake. (At some point I will also write a post on Alzheimer’s disease, which almost always involves sluggish PDH activity —in animal models acute bolus of insulin transiently improves symptoms and administration of exogenous ketones does the same, even without glucose.)

I saw this in Attia's post on ketone supplementation. Maybe this can mitigate the physiological insulin resistance Peter at Hyperlipid writes about, that's mediated by palmitic acid.

Back when they were doing prolonged starvation studies in obese medical students, there was one study (working from memory here, but this should be close enough) where subjects were fasted for 40 days, and then administered insulin. Very low levels of blood glucose were achieved--I think somewhere in the teens--to the point where a non-fasted person would probably become unconscious, but these people were symptom-free. Blood glucose went way down, but there was a more modest dip in ketones, if memory serves, about 1 millimolar, I forget what the level of ketones was exactly--but after ten days, starvation should give a ketone level around six or seven millimolar--so while blood glucose went way down, there was really only a slight dip in ketones.

These guys would have had a glucose intolerance--caused by a decrease in insulin secretion in response to a glucose load, rather than insulin resistance as such. I think we have to look at very low carb in more than one way, not as a block. I know some people on the forum seem to have difficulty getting into ketosis. High free fatty acids will cause a sort of insulin resistance. Should it be mitigated by some of the actions of the ketones? What if the ketones don't show up?

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....ance-guess.html

Hyperlipid post on physiological insulin resistance and ketones...

Quote:
So what is this evil chemical which blocks glucose oxidation even in the face of hyperinsulinaemia?

Beta hydroxy butyrate. That's it. Ketone bodies (acetoacetate seems to work as well) are triggers for insulin resistance. Hence the appalling problems of type two diabetics on the Atkins induction diet. What problems? Oh, normoglycaemia and weight loss! Well, maybe there are problems long term or or or...

Again ketone bodies, one of the hall marks of carbohydrate or total calorie restriction, channel glucose away from muscles, toward brain and add a modest supplementary energy supply to brain tissue too.

It's exactly what you expect on an adaptive basis, exactly the same function as palmitic acid performs and clearly the two metabolic pathways are closely linked, though ketones seem to work downstream of the action of palmitic acid.

The fact that ketones do still allow insulin to move plasma glucose in to cells, and probably store it as glycogen, might be of interest to those who's blood glucose seems to do strange things after they eat medium chain triglycerides. MCTs (in rats anyway) undoubtedly spike both insulin and ketones, but usually result in normoglycaemia (insulin resistance?). But this is in a carbohydrate fed, glycogen replete rat. If you are initially glycogen depleted the shift to replete glycogen under ketones from MCTs might just leave you hypoing. No one has looked at this as far as I'm aware but ItsTheWoos' experience is interesting on this front...

The post is about physiological insulin resistance at the point of glucose oxidation--but perhaps increased insulin sensitivity when glycogen repletion is necessary. This makes wonderful sense--and explains why I can do "glycogen depleting" exercise, day after day, without hitting the wall. It needs to be possible to feed the brain ketones, use glycogen for maximal effort, and restore muscle glycogen pretty much at the same time.

I'd also wonder, whether the effect of MCTs on insulin secretion in a glycogen-replete person would be the same as in a keto-adapted, glycogen depleted person.

Personally--glycogen depletion on a ketogenic diet doesn't give me hypoglycemic symptoms, if anything it makes me feel better. But there's so many different things going on, it would be astonishing if everybody had identical results.
  #149   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-15, 11:09

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
http://eatingacademy.com/personal/e...ogenous-ketones
the physiological insulin resistance Peter at Hyperlipid writes about, that's mediated by palmitic acid.

Ah yes...I have indeed heard this about palmitic acid. So rather than saying sat-fats de-facto contribute to insulin resistance, we may need a more nuanced view of all the different sat-fatty acids.

Heck, even plant-based diet advocates like David Katz believe stearic acid (chocolate fat) is benign, for instance.

Aware me on palmitic acid...that is most prevalent in dairy fats, right?

If so, that makes sense from a "paleo" point of view, since dairy is not paleo.

I would wonder if those having high morning BG's consume a fair amount of dairy perhaps? I know I do. But am really lowering my intake of it, as I move to more of a "Neanderthin" approach to eating.

But for those unwilling to give up butter...I would speculate that grass-fed butter is LOWER in palmitic acid than corn-fed cow butter.
  #150   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-15, 12:57

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

When mammals synthesize fatty acids, they tend towards palmitic acid, so grain and grass-fed being both fairly low-fat diets, I'd guess there'd still be lots of palmitic acid in the grass-fed dairy. I don't really think palmitic acid is such a bad thing, but maybe for people with blood-sugar issues, upping fat from olive oil or coconut is worth a shot.

I wonder how stored body fat figures into this? We burn some mix of body fat and diet fat, depending on what we've been eating over the years, the free fatty acid mix would be affected. This is a plausible thing that could change over time, and cause us to react differently. We vilify polyunsaturated fat--omega 6's, at least--but there are studies showing lower glucose, higher ketones, on a ketogenic diet with omega 6 vs saturated fats, or a higher fasted ketosis on a diet that contained high omega 6. This is all mostly in rodents, I read it on Peter's blog, so I don't have the references handy. The rodents with greater fasted ketosis due to corn oil or what ever the omega 6 source was, lost more fat than rodents eating a diet with less corn oil, but at the same calorie level. Peter's guess was that they would have been hungrier due to the failure of physiological insulin resistance, and greater tendency to hypoglycemia. Maybe a fair guess, but since the ketones were there to potentially protect from the dip in glucose, I'm not so sure.

Anyways, not advocating guzzling corn oil here--but sometimes I wonder if that first "golden shot" we see written about on the forum with a first venture into Atkins induction is partly due to the body taking the opportunity to run through excessive omega 6 stored during years on the SAD diet, high in various vegetable oils.