Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 05:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default Food people buy

I've been helping a friend in her small grocery shop/store recently. And I'm horrified at what people are buying - its quite shocking the amount of cakes, sweets/candy, chocolate, crisps/potato chips, ready meals....total junk that people buy. I know that this sort of food is available, but the quantities people buy it in are shocking.

My children - when they were young would go to the sweetie shop and buy a few sweets as a treat occasionally, but children are coming into my friends shop and buying family bags of sweets, sugary drinks for themselves to eat, without a thought.

Now, why is anyone surprised by the obesity epidemic?

Jo xxx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 06:55
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Yep its shocking. I'm in charge of the choc'late fundraiser at school cause I detest choc'late, probably the only teacher on staff that my principal trusts not to eat the profits!

In a school of 160 students or so, I sell on average about $50 worth a day... they are a dollar a bar. And my students seem to have more pocket money then I do... not surprising since I'm only a teacher!

I noticed a student of mine drinking I think it was called "vitamin water"... I'm thinking to myself...wow healthier water...but NO it has at least the same amount of kcals and carbs as soda... shocking... really cause you'd think vitamin water would be healthier...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 06:59
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Another note... our USDA or was it the CDC did a study on baby food... the report that came out last week stated that we had an alarmingly amount of salt and sugar in our baby food... I guess we're hooking them to that crap early here in the US!

Now that's where our obesity starts... with the very young. You would not believe the crap we serve for school breakfasts and lunches these days...inordinate amount of carb-age crap and very few fresh veggies and fruits... Cause carb-age is cheaper to serve! That's the only justification I can make...

Okay I'll stop now...

Last edited by Just Jo : Mon, Feb-09-15 at 07:00. Reason: more to say of course...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 07:53
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Another thing I noticed was when I started low carbing my food budget didn't go higher. why? I was spending too much on the carby stuff and with it gone gave me money for fats and veggies. I like the trade off.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 11:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm constantly amazed by what I see people buying in the 7/11 I go to for coffee, sugarless gum, and the occasional diet soda. Then again, I only have to look over at my officemate whose diet consists of almost 100% refined carbs and sugar. Yikes! His complexion is terrible and he's starting to gain weight. His face is looking very bloated.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 11:21
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

i do most of my shopping at Aldi's and it's always busy..
there are always people in front of me and behind me in line.
i can't help but look at their grocery carts..
i am always shocked and appalled at their choices, but then again, i'm sure they're just as shocked at all the butter, cream, cheeses in my cart..
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 11:58

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

i like to pass the time in line by snooping what others buy, too- you can tell a lot about the person- like if they are likely single versus buying for a family, the yoga practicing mom with the organic yogurts, the health/diet focused 20 something girl, etc.....i like it when people surprise me- like when i see someone overweight making really great picks, and you know the person is trying.....

i get bummed when i see overweight people buying the crap with a health halo, though- the nutrigrain bars and special K and weight watchers dinners, and you just know they can't stick to it for long.....
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 12:39

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
i do most of my shopping at Aldi's and it's always busy..
there are always people in front of me and behind me in line.
i can't help but look at their grocery carts..
i am always shocked and appalled at their choices, but then again, i'm sure they're just as shocked at all the butter, cream, cheeses in my cart..

Yes yes yes! I got some real odd looks recently as I unloaded my stock of foods (admittedly for a couple of weeks, though). I had 6 dozen eggs, about 8 packs of bacon, 3 big 4-packs of butter, a half gallon of half and half, full fat sour cream, some cheeses, and some packs of lettuce, plus a jar of coconut oil. But the person in front of me had all sorts of TV dinners, ice cream, cookies, chips, sodas. I suppose to everyone else, that looked normal.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 13:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hah! I was in line at the local supermarket on a recent day, and the cashier took one look at my bounty of eggs, bacon, sausage, full fat meats, and stated, "I bet your heart doctor loves you!" My response: "You wouldn't believe it if I told you . . ."
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 14:00

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Hah! I was in line at the local supermarket on a recent day, and the cashier took one look at my bounty of eggs, bacon, sausage, full fat meats, and stated, "I bet your heart doctor loves you!" My response: "You wouldn't believe it if I told you . . ."

It's amazing to me how many people now parrot the party line on fat and heart disease. You hear it everywhere. I am now very conscious how many times I hear a gag line on a sitcom about 'heart attack on a plate' or 'feed him lard and he'll die early but with a smile on his face'.

Government/industry has done a great job of pounding the 'fat is bad' message into people's heads. Sometimes I despair that the message can ever be expunged from the public consciousness.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
It's amazing to me how many people now parrot the party line on fat and heart disease. You hear it everywhere. I am now very conscious how many times I hear a gag line on a sitcom about 'heart attack on a plate' or 'feed him lard and he'll die early but with a smile on his face'.

Government/industry has done a great job of pounding the 'fat is bad' message into people's heads. Sometimes I despair that the message can ever be expunged from the public consciousness.

It shows how susceptible people generally are to bumper sticker slogans. Due to advertising and seeing these messages everywhere for literally decades, people absorb the message. They hear it so often, it becomes fact in their minds.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 14:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003

In the 1980's it went into overdrive, with all the fat-free things the food companies came up with, and that's when it really went off the rails. I ate low fat for several years, and now I bless my lousy willpower... I would eat the pasta with low fat tomato sauce and those awful rice cakes for a couple of weeks... and then sneak off to Wendy's or make an Alfredo sauce. And now I'm glad I did

Turns out, sticking with things like Pritikin or Ornish long-term does awful things to your brain.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 15:01

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

^^
then i'm glad you cheated, too!
I hate to look back and realize my diet was almost fat FREE most of college- i thought i was being so healthy!

a little off topic but funny-- years ago, i was at a pharmacy to grab a snack- a diet coke, a string cheese, and a bag mixed nuts. The cashier, asked whether i saw those nuts said "for men's health."
And i said, um........kind of trailing off, wondering why she asked.
She continued, "they are designed for men."

So i leaned in, and said in a low voice that i would be sure to write a strongly worded letter to Planter's if i got descended testicles from their product, but i am pretty sure it is just sexist advertising- and simply contains more protein. It's ok- i have a Master's in nutrition, so I know a lot about these things."

I did think it was nice of her to be concerned, though!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 17:15

I was always bothered by how the fat free things had just as many calories and apparently a LOT more sugar to make the taste palatable. I had my suspicions all along. But we sure got taught to fear fat!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
Yes yes yes! I got some real odd looks recently as I unloaded my stock of foods (admittedly for a couple of weeks, though). I had 6 dozen eggs, about 8 packs of bacon, 3 big 4-packs of butter, a half gallon of half and half, full fat sour cream, some cheeses, and some packs of lettuce, plus a jar of coconut oil.

you should see the looks i get at the Asian market, when i put 6-8 pounds of pork belly on the moving beltway!!!!