Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 07:15

Plan: Atkins/testing CAD
Stats: 198/184/145
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default The time has come..

I've just returned from living overseas for the last 7 years, in the Persian Gulf where the majority of people smoke and its part of the social scene. Not to mention a pack only costs about 50 cents, and are the same brands bought here. Amazing!

Now I'm back in the real world in the good old USA where to be a smoker is about the same as being a leper. I can't even go out to eat and have a cigarette after my meal without having to go outside. It really has been pissing me off! Well, its been 3 months of being back in the USA and I've come to the conclusion I have to give up this battle and accept the fact the party is over. So now I'm over here in this forum trying to get some support for finally letting go of what has been my sidekick for many, many years. I was on Atkins for a few months and doing well, but husband convinced me to try CAD so we could enjoy a "normal" meal together. Its been a week on CAD and I really agree with him now, it seems to be the best of both worlds. Now I want to start working on this stop smoking behavior. We just bought a new house that we move into May 1st and I'd really like to move in as a non-smoker and stay that way. So I'm asking for all the support I can get.

Cigarettes have been like a best friend to me for most of my life. I'm not sure how to live without them. My concern is that a severe void will be in my life without them. How have others dealt with those feelings?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 10:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/216/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Congrats on your decision to quit! That is probably the hardest part. I quit smoking on Jan 1 of this year. It has been almost 5 months since I have had a cig.

I can tell you it is not an easy road. I chose to use the nicorette gum which in my opinion was a life saver. If you can get through the first month, it definetly gets much easier.

I am now not chewing it anymore and doing fine. I don't think you ever get to a point where you never think of cigs, but I am much happier and feel much better. I can breath good again, I can taste food better than ever, I can smell again etc.

You can do it!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 10:56

Plan: Atkins/testing CAD
Stats: 198/184/145
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Thank you for your response..

I've never tried the gum. How and when how often do you use it when you are first quitting? Any side effects?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 22:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/128/121
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hey there Kingwood! great suggestion with the gum, and here's another one........

Here in Oz, we have Nicobate Lozenges, I'm guessing you can get them there (wherever 'there' is). my husband found the gum to be good, but I found it gave me chest pains and it burned. the lozenges for me worked extremely well. When I first quit, I'd have maybe 10 a day, and gradually it decreased down to none (I was a pack a day smoker). now I only ever take a lozenge if I'm out with friends (smoking friends), and the urge hits.

so there's another option.........

a new house, smelling clean and fresh - lovely!