Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1906   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 21:09
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Interesting thread!

We've used Oil of Oregano in our house for some time now. Mainly for colds/flu's/eczema issues etc. instead of the anti-virals or anti-biotics given out in boat loads at the Dr.

It is a staple in our house. I had no idea it was good for weight loss though!
Sponsored Links
  #1907   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 21:24

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I had no idea it was good for weight loss either....wondering if there are any recent claims out there. Apparently Curves suggests it to their members for weight loss...
  #1908   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 04:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

I doubt it is good for weight loss - unless the person has candida issues. Because it treats the yeast , it lets the weight come off. Worked for me! When I read thru the whole thread, it looked like it only worked for about hald of the people taking it.
I have just been reading Dr Atkin's vita -nutrients book. He suggests a sugar free diet plus eliminating fermented food is the first step, also necessary for maintenance .
Next the most important supplements
are beneficial bacteria 1-3 tspns (the acidofolus and other types),
undecenylic acid 2-4 capsules,
caprylic acid 2-4 capsules
ergotransferrin 2-4 caps
Oil of Oregano 2-4 drops
Olive leaf extract - start with 1 capsule, build up to 3-4 caps,
vit C 1-3 grams
pantethine 600-1,200 mg
garlic 75-1500 mg
biotin 7.5-15 mg
essential oils formula 3,600-7,200 mg
mixed fibre blend 8-16 grams

Moderately important;

molybdenum 500-1500mcg
goldenseal 1-3 capsules
cat's claw extract 2-4 capsules
FOS 1/4 - 1/2 tsp
Pau d'arco 1-3 droppers
vit B6 100-200mg
echinea 3-5 tsp
vit E 400-800 IU
pyroxidal-5-phosphate 95-150mg
arginine 1,500 -4,000 mg
propolis 1/2 dropper of tincture in water
chlorella 1/2- 1 tsp
copper sebacate 2-4 mg

I know that's a huge long list! Maybe you could pick some to research and add to your current supplements?
  #1909   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 09:09
Registered Member

Stats: 209/170.2/140 Female 5'5'
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Wow!

I was just about to give up, I tried OoO yesterday and have actually lost .0.8 lb after gaining 0.4 for a few days. I scored pretty high on the candida tests . Thanx 2brickie for starting this thread!!! Thanx to all for posting your results!!!

Last edited by ak_babe_2b : Fri, May-09-08 at 18:08.
  #1910   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 09:25

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I had forgotten about oil or oregano....I have it in the cupboards so I guess I will add it back as a supplement...
  #1911   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 21:17

Stats: 175/167.8/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Is there any way to know if I would have candida issues without going to the doctor? I don't have health insurance...so...It's looking to me like it makes some people bounce off the wall and people with candida very tired until the die-off is over. I'm thinking that when I order it for the first time, I'll take it mid-evening so if it keeps me up I'll at least have some time to wind down, and if it knocks me out I can force myself to stay up for a few more hours.
So basically if it makes you tired, you have candida? Seems strangely simple.
  #1912   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 21:31

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJessica
So basically if it makes you tired, you have candida? Seems strangely simple.

I think there's more to it than that. I don't have links off hand or anything but I seem to remember a 'spit test' you can do at home. No clue if it's accurate or not, but if you google it, I'm sure you'll find tons of info on it.
  #1913   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb WW
Stats: 435/348/225 Male 6 ft 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

My First month of induction went very smooth as I lost 33 pounds. I weighed myself each morning, noticing a loss of 1 pound every time. Then after a month, suddenly the loss stopped. For 2 weeks I continuously stayed at 402 lbs and was getting extremely frustrated as I hadn't changed anything in my diet and even bumped the exercise up a tad. After reading this thread, I decided to give into the hype and give Oil of Oregano a try. I bought a Bottle of Vitamin World Brand 90 capsules 150 mg (14.99) on Wednesday night and took 2 capsules, 2 hours apart. The next morning when I weighed myself to my amazement I was 399 lbs. I took another capsule immediately after that and one more later that night and when I weighed myself today...397. I honestly don't know if the Oil of Oregano did anything in part to help get the scale to budge or if was just its time to move. Maybe it flushed out excess water my body has been holding onto or possibly helped it with any yeast issues it had. Who knows.
  #1914   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 10:39
Registered Member

Stats: 266/154/148 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey all. Very Interesting thread. I am an expert of Oregano oil! But this is the first on hearing about it's weight loss benefits.

The real problem with oregano Oil is its authenticity. You have to search for the Wild oregano. Unfortunately, however, most of the oregano that people are familiar with contains only trace quantities of the actual species of the plant, or in some cases, none at all. Oregano is probably in the same bracket as Hoodia. If you dont have the real stuff, it just wont work.

Pure oil of oregano is reletively expensive. I'm talking about £30-£40 pounds for a 50ml minute tincture bottle. Anything under that price range I would question because it is a rare and expensive essential oil.

As for taking it in capsule form, well, that is a whole different discussion on absorbing nutrienta via the mouth or the stomach.
  #1915   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 11:02

Plan: Stillman's South Beach
Stats: 190/133/133 Female 5ft 9in shrunk!!
BF:
Progress: 100%

Can't wait to try this...going to the health store to see if I can get some.
  #1916   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 13:12

Plan: Stillman's South Beach
Stats: 190/133/133 Female 5ft 9in shrunk!!
BF:
Progress: 100%

I just got me some oil of Oregano. Its a liquid form made by Nature's Answer. It cost £20 ($40) for a 30ml bottle. It guarantees that the constituents of the extract are in the same synergistic ratios as in the plant. Can't wait to try it out.
  #1917   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 13:28

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I got some liquid oil of oregano too. Lets see how this goes. So far i felt very hyper the whole morning.
  #1918   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-08, 15:40

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I bought drops today, mostly for my sinuses but if it help with every thing else I will be glad. I will see how this goes before ordering the pills.
  #1919   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-08, 01:07

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

North American Herb & Spice makes a good Oil of Oregano ("OoO") as does Bio-Alternatives. Both are pretty pricey, with NAH&S being the more expensive, but they WORK for killing fungus, and are antibacterial, antiviral, etc. It will be interesting to see if OoO works for stalls.