Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-20, 05:21

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Can A Salami A Day Keep The Doctor Away?

'The Four Top': Can A Salami A Day Keep The Doctor Away?

Quote:
Episode 75: Diet Lies

In this episode, we discuss a time when the federal government of the United States was espousing incorrect information about how to improve the health of the general population. For decades, the nation’s top health authorities told Americans to avoid natural proteins and fats and dig into carbs. The result was obesity and associated diseases.

We connect journalist Nina Teicholz’s stunning findings, published in her book “The Big Fat Surprise,” with the Mediterranean diet people are now trying to follow. What can other societies and cultures tell us about how to eat healthfully?

And salumist Elias Cairo fills us in on the probiotic properties of — yes! — naturally fermented charcuterie.

Our panelists are best-selling author and journalist Nina Teicholz, physician, author and longevity expert Miles Hassell and Olympia Provisions executive chef and salumist Elias Cairo. Our host is Katherine Cole.

https://www.opb.org/artsandlife/art...-top-diet-lies/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-20, 08:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, Demi. Good podcast, particularly regarding the salami production where Cairo uses whole food ingredients, no sugars, live active molds (on the outside), and natural fermentation. Eating healthy prepared meats is something I do on occasion, and I'd love to find his products.

I looked up Miles Hassel, as I'm not familiar with him, and found his website. He's a Mediterranean diet proponent, which I'm still trying to figure out how this helps people eat, as it can include a wide range of ingredients including grains and processed grains in pasta, etc. A good indicator is published on his website blog in February 2020 (http://goodfoodgreatmedicine.com/index.htm):

Quote:
Which lifestyle changes make a difference?
Can I avoid taking medications?

While we often use medications to help reduce risk, it often surprises patients to learn that the intervention with the greatest impact for reversing heart disease and stroke risk is still the good old whole food Mediterranean diet. The Lyon Heart Study is a 4 year study of patients who had already had a heart attack,and were randomized to either a Mediterranean diet or a low-fat diet. In the Mediterranean diet group, the risk of heart attacks or stroke was cut by 70%, the death rate by 56%, and the cancer risk by 60%! And this same diet can also be used to reduce cholesterol as much as a moderate dose of a “statin” drug (see Joe’s story in our May 2019 newsletter). Sadly, popular diets such as keto, paleo, and Whole 30 have not been shown to have this level of benefit, and all 3 diets limit foods such as whole grains, which have been shown to have real health benefits.

So, the podcast didn't get into the fine aspects of diet and dietary approaches, and while I agree that certain forms of "Mediterranean diets" are a vast improvement over SAD, attempting to separate Mediterranean from keto, paleo, and whole 30 is ridiculous. Particularly paleo and whole 30, which both can be considered Mediterranean without the dairy. But I digress and would rather locate Cairo's meat products at this time.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-20, 21:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Rob, as I watch Lydia's cooking show a lot, and similar foodie shows..... the Italian people still eat from the sea as well as locals around the Mediteranian. Many if not most people still get real food from small shops. Not the mass produced foods as we know it.

(My son has delved into dried duck breast meat aka jerky. Tastier than anything at a common store.)

I miss the local store that imported the salamis I grew up on..... they closed.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-20, 03:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Love live Italian cold cuts!