Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 02:35

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%

I understand it works like this:

You burn glucose anaerobically outside of the mitochondria. This produces pyruvate. Pyruvate can be burned aerobically by mitochondria and is turned into 4 times more ATP than in the anaerobic process.

The pyruvate that isn't burned in the mitochondria is turned into lactic acid. The cell tries to lose the lactic acid (your brain likes it!) but has a limited capacity to do so.

So ultimately you can end up in a situation that lactic acid builds up in the cell, and the body closes down the process to protect the muscle.

How to avoid this?

1) Every time you create lactic acid (by high intensity training) the number of mitochondria increases in the resting fase. With every additional mitochondrium your capacity to burn pyrovate increases. This limits the build up of lactic acid AND gives you more energy (20 - 22 units of ATP instead of 4 units ATP per unit of glucose).

Mitochondria will burn everything - including fat and ketones.

So it is simply a matter of mitochondria biogenesis. The more mitochondria you have, the longer you can run on glucose and or fat. But this essentially means you don't need glucose to run. With a fully adapted body chances are you can run longer and better on fat than on glucose.

This adaptation may take 4 to 6 weeks and is accomplished by

1) interval training to deliberately create lactic acid, or
2) Stay in ketosis
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 03:16

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%

1 addition.

Only all-out training recruits the fast twitch muscle fibers. These are the fibers that that give you strength.

Intermediate exercises or endurance only turn on the slow twitch fibers, which make up 50% of the muscle.

Example of all-out training:

3 - 7 30 sec sprints (can be running, spinning, ergotrainer) with 4 minutes rest in between. And allow 2 days recovery between training sessions.

Very time efficient, recruits all the fibers, limits ROS damage, releases GH, is fun, and gives more stamina than endurance. Works on improved insulin action, improved lipoprotein lipase activity, and greater clearance of plasma triglycerides.

Important : make variations in training all the time. The body is an adaptive dynamic system. The last thing we want is dull regular repetitive stuff. Have fun, play, sprint and rest; lots of rest!
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-09, 14:12

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Question

I've been LCing for three months, and am fit enough for more vigerous training.

I do cardio on a stationary bike because of runners knee.
But when I CAN run, I get terrible muscle cramps and spasms after cool down.

I feared this might be due to low carb but I see now its not.

What causes the cramping and spasms?
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-09, 14:28

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

People usually blame a mineral deficiency for muscle cramps. It could be potassium, magnesium, even sodium. Magnesium's probably the one to start with.

I bought some running shoes and ran in them a few times. Eventually I started getting horrible knee pain whenever I wore them. Running barefoot, or in Vibram FiveFingers, or even in Tevas, doesn't seem to hurt my knee at all, though.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-09, 03:11

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
People usually blame a mineral deficiency for muscle cramps. It could be potassium, magnesium, even sodium. Magnesium's probably the one to start with.

I bought some running shoes and ran in them a few times. Eventually I started getting horrible knee pain whenever I wore them. Running barefoot, or in Vibram FiveFingers, or even in Tevas, doesn't seem to hurt my knee at all, though.

Yep, thanks!
I been doing the magnesium and calcium for a few months.
So, I just started to up my magnesium, add a little salt to the proteins, and started some exercises for "runners-knee" and I'm getting rapid improvements!
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-11, 10:10

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBug
I fail to see why anyone in their right mind would ever run 20 miles, carb-loaded or not.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Seriously once you get into the kind of running shape where those distances are not a struggle, its actually a beautiful and peaceful way to sightsee.