Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 19:59

Plan: CA
Stats: 260/228/205 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Help, dry mouth

I have been on CAD for a little over 3 weeks and have lost about 11 pounds so far. However, i am experiencing very serious dry mouth and also a chalky pasty taste in my mouth that I can't get rid of. I am eating a lot of steak, fish, sausauge and chicken. I usually have my reward meal for breakfast, which is salad, lox, bagel and cream chees, with about 4 ounces of OJ.

I am just wondering if this is just temporary or what. I feel pretty good and excercise every day for at least 45 days. Also, my cravings for carbs are almost gone. Last year my glucose level was 88, so i don't think I am in danger of being a diabetic. Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it last? I really hate the way my mouth feels. I am drinking about 2 gallons of water a day and going to the bathroom at least once an hour.

I was a huge carb addict, prior to this, consuming over 500gm of carbs a day.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 03:58
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Are you brushing your tongue? That might help. It might be a natural process of removing plague from your system and mouth and should go away in another week or so. Are you taking supplements? You should at least be taking a good multi twice a day and extra C and potasium. If it persists past another two weeks I would get it checked out.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 05:47

BF:

Thanks Zul, no I have not been brushing my tongue, I will try that. I am taking a 1 500mg vitamin C/day and one multi vitamin. I have not heard of taking two multi's a day, since the one is supposed to have all of the required nutrients. I have done a search and read on some of the other forums that this is a sign of ketosis. I cannot find in the Lifespan book any mention of Ketosis, so I am not sure if they consider this good or bad.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 10:24
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

JMHO-I believe in taking two-one a day for most people. Those one a day vitamins are based on RDA which only prevent deficiencies and on ODA which is the optimum dosage. Two won't hurt.

Some CADers do get into ketosis better on CAD than on Atkins so it is possible. It's not detrimental.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 18:22

BF:

In case anyone cares, my chronic dry mouth went away after four weeks, as well as the metal, pasty taste that was in my mouth. My weight loss has slowed a little as well, but I guess that is to be expected.

The only problem I am experiencing right now is constipation. Not to get too graphic, but i think I know how child birth feels now, everytime i try to go. Anyone have any reccomendations on this and is it normal. I read some people had said flaxseed oil, but so far that hasn't seemed to help.

Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 03:49

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Metamucil works for me :)

I take it every day and it seems to make a big difference.

good luck
Tracy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 04:57

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

My GNC multivitamins say 2 a day so I think the industry is catching up with the new standards. Heck Atkins people suggest 3 a day