Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 21:31
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default reccomended daily allowance of carbs huh?

Quote:
Reducing carb intake to as few as 25 grams a day, which Atkins suggested might be appropriate for some dieters long term, would mean consuming less than a fifth of the government’s recommended daily allowance of 130 grams.

When did this change come about? I see this all over the place now but umm according to my box of pasta, rice, yogurt, bread and quinoa it all seems to place it at around 300g based on a 2000 calorie diet which would put carbs at around 60% which is what I thought reccomended.

Spelt pasta
42g of carbs - 14% of reccomended daily allowance

Brown rice
35g of carbs - 12% of reccomended daily allowance

Quinoa
30g of carbs - 10% of reccomended daily allowance

Yogurt
19g of carbs - 6%

Now my math may be wrong but it seems like its 3g per 1% which would mean that the reccomended daily allowance for carbs is 300g and 60% not this 130g that I see all over the place and clueless as to where it came from.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 21:34

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Well, is the recommended daily allowance different for adults and children? Because I foggily recall reading somewhere that some nutrition labels are based off of recommended allowances for children because that allows for more calories and whatnot.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 21:37
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

from what I understand its based off a 2000 calorie diet which is reccomended for most adults. That would also make carbs 60% and 1200 calories coming from carbs daily.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 02:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

RDA and DV are not the same thing...RDA is the amount they consider "sufficient" to meet the needs of the vast majority of folks. DV is the amount they suggest you take in. In effect, they are saying that 130g is sufficient, but you should take in 300g. They base the RDA on the falacious assumption that the Brain needs that much Glucose to function properly.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 12:35

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

I think they changed the methodology some years ago, so nutrition stuff isn't called the same thing it used to be... anyway, here's a government nutrition link that has some basics about both...

Daily Reference Intakes
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 12:45
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
RDA and DV are not the same thing...RDA is the amount they consider "sufficient" to meet the needs of the vast majority of folks. DV is the amount they suggest you take in. In effect, they are saying that 130g is sufficient, but you should take in 300g. They base the RDA on the falacious assumption that the Brain needs that much Glucose to function properly.

the only thing the food pyramid is based on are corporate interests.

Starch/sugar = cheap to produce;
Processed "healthy" starch food = higher profit margins due to low ingredient cost;
Grain derrived sweetners and bulkers like corn = one of americas biggest native crops...

Therefore, if the people are eating a lot of "healthy" refined corn bulked/sweetened foods, that = $$$$$ for corporations.

I honestly don't believe for a second the obscenely high grain recommendation was believed to be healthy by the people who came up with it. Sure there are a lot of dittohead doctors and nutritionists and journalists and laymen out there who parroted back the advice and honestly do believe that is the way to go; but, I think the people who derived it knew exactly what they were doing.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 21:03

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
the only thing the food pyramid is based on are corporate interests.

Starch/sugar = cheap to produce;
Processed "healthy" starch food = higher profit margins due to low ingredient cost;
Grain derrived sweetners and bulkers like corn = one of americas biggest native crops...

Therefore, if the people are eating a lot of "healthy" refined corn bulked/sweetened foods, that = $$$$$ for corporations.

I honestly don't believe for a second the obscenely high grain recommendation was believed to be healthy by the people who came up with it. Sure there are a lot of dittohead doctors and nutritionists and journalists and laymen out there who parroted back the advice and honestly do believe that is the way to go; but, I think the people who derived it knew exactly what they were doing.

I never said that I thought they did it entirely based on Science. The 130g RDA is purported to be based on how much Glucose the Brain I think the vast majority of folks who haven't damaged their metabolism could probably handle that amount, especially if it was derived primarily from Low-Glycemic Fruits, Nuts, Hi-Oleic Seeds, and Green Vegetables and combined with a moderate amount of Fat [40-50%] and Protein [20-30%.] The suggestion that we take in 6-11 servings of Grain and 300g of Carbs (DVs) OTOH is a direct result of the USDA being bought off by the Grain Industry.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 21:56

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I too have been hearing this 130 carb recommendation, I figured they were backing off on the carb heavy information.
But of course, none of us know what we are talking about, because our brains have no carbs!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 22:17
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default If I only had a brain...

See, Scarecrow, that's what carby straw will do for your brain...

Let's go find that Wizard and maybe he can get us some brain food.