Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 05:26

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%
Default My scales are stuck!!!

I did great in induction with a 10 pound loss and then I have been stuck in the same spot for a month now.

My percentages are generally 75/25/5 ......a bit high on fat . a bit low on protein. extra fat coming from mayo on burger. or whipped cream. I added some nuts to get my calories up and small amount of fruit in the last week to bumped the carbs up.

calories average 1600. my BMR being 1732. so I am a bit low but have been good on that lately.

water average 50 a day.

exercise when I can take it.

no change in initial measurement losses.

I know I am not the only one with this problem so ........What do we do when the scales are stuck?

Someone please send the whoosh fairy soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
DEbbie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 10:52

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
I'm not an expert, but the first thing I see is that you need to up your water intake. 64 oz. minimum and an additional 8 oz. for every 25 lbs. you need to lose (or something like that- I'm sure the correct 'formula' is in this forum somewhere). Your ratios look pretty good overall, but just remember that nuts and fruit are infamous for causing stalls in some people.

Ya know, your body may just be resting after a great induction phase. I have had a few 2-3 week 'pauses' with no changes, only to have things start slowly moving again after a bit. Keep the faith and if all else fails, return to induction to 'kick-start' things again.

Remember, I'm not an expert like many on here, but I figured I'd give you my take on it.

Happy LCing!
Nikki
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/303/225 Male 5-8
BF:whopping!
Progress: 0%
Default Re: My scales are stuck!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by puppetlady
What do we do when the scales are stuck?

Do what I did...throw it in the yard!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 11:28

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

When I got stuck I upped my water to about 90 oz and increased the length of my walks to 1 hr , or substituted higher intensity aerobics for some of my walk days. It helped a lot. As you lose weight I believe you need to lower your calories some either by exercise ( the preferred method) or lowering your consumption ( but you can only go so low before bad things start to happen, both physically and psychologically).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 06:20

Thank you for your suggestions.

I definately need to up the water and my calories are pretty low already according to the BMR so I think I better just hold on .

I have been notorius for undereating for years now because of hypoglycemia and food sensitivities making me feel so horrible so I just try to catch that sugar drop and eat before I get sick now. I am finally eating breakfast and lunch so that is a new way of life for me. To finally be able to eat and not feel sick is so great.

As far as exericise I have to pace myself because I have fibromyalgia so if I do more then 20 minutes a day now I get muscle fatigue and pain so I am taking that slow as well. Believe it our not my arms are tired and aching from typing this little bit this morning. So I need to go get some water and vitamins in to me and do some stretching. Bye for now. Debbie.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 06:44
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Plateau

You are probably not exercising enough, and eating too much. At this point what else could it be? Cut back on the fat and see what happens. That is the easiest way to cut calories, as it contains less volume and shouldn't cause you any immediate notice. If you have been eating 1600 calories a day for a while it is definitely time to eat less.

Good Luck!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 07:20

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wouldnt cut your calories. your surpose to be somewhere around 10 to 12 x your body weight.. I would definatly increase your water intake up to at least 64 oz plus 8 oz for every 25 lbs you need to loose.. I know its a lot of water at times.. I did the same thing after my induction i went 2-3 weeks without a weightloss but was looseing inches instead.. It could be your body catching up to its loss already.. Mabe try makeing sure you eat your fruit with some fat or protein incase you are sensitive to the natural sugar in it. or mabe cut back on some of the nuts and try adding an extra vegie instead. or try to increase your calorie intake just a tad to see if that helps.. i have heard many people whos stopped moveing on the scale increase an extra vegie and boom... Its hard to say we all are so different.. Congrads of your weightloss on induction. Be sure to take you measurements to see if you may be looseing inches instead of lbs right now also.. Good luck to you ...

Tammy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 07:24
Registered Member

Plan: general low carbs/atkins/
Stats: 167/152/139 Female 5'8''
BF:I'm/fat/again
Progress: 54%

I was on a 2-3 month stall where the scale WOULD NOT budge. So I got so frustrated i binged for like a day then sometimes it would turn into a 2 week bing. After i got tired of all that, and being bloated and tired, and sad that i kept blowing my diet I reevaluated my diet and heres what i changed and its made ALL THE DIFFERENCE:

First and formost, i've cut my meals in HALF. I dont eat 6 times a day. I eat 3 times a day and maybe a snack. I'll make a normal portion breakfast of lets say sausage, eggs, and cheese...but i'll eat only until i'm like ok my stomach is full, eating the rest would be just to eat fo eatings sake,.....BOOM i throw it out.

This not only has shrung my stomach, but i feel reallly really good. I used to be a slave to my stomach and eyes, and especially since i am and emotional eater X 3, I would really over eat on Atkins thinking it was ok and that i could eat until i was OVERLY full. Now i feel lighter, and healther and more in control.

Second, i cut out DRIVE THRU meals, aka, cheeseburgers, etc. I think even though i was taking off the bun or what not, the amount of sodium was KILLING ME.

Third, i cut out APARTAME. No sweet and low, no diet coke, etc. I drink Diet Rite.

If i eat fruit ( I LOVE APPLES AND PEANUT BUTTER) i'll eat only half of the apple, and measure out only a table spoon of PB, so everything has boundaries and limitations, not the a free for all like it was before.

I started all Sunday, its Thursday now, and Wednesday when i weighted my self i dropped 3 pounds. And this is taking into account the huge ass snow storm in the northeast and i didnt go to the gym in 3 days. Thats another key...you HAVE to exercise, not just to lose weight but you also HAVE to do atleast some light lifting, so that all the extra skin caused my lost fat doesnt just HANG there but rather turns into some nice MUSCELS (Papi reference). Good luck, kick butt, and listen to your body, its got your answers you just have to listen to it.

JM
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 07:34
Registered Member

Plan: Zone/Atkins
Stats: 138/130/125
BF:?/20%/?
Progress: 62%

I also think you need to increase your water. I never believed that drinking alot of water would actually help with weight loss, but I sure was proven wrong! Besides, you get extra exercise just running to the bathroom every 5 minutes!! The ONLY way I can get my scale to budge (sides budging it out the friggin' window!), is to drink more water, eat a little less (just cut out some of the mayo!), and try hard to add a little more activity in your life. You've done GREAT so far! Congratulations.......enjoy your success.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 10:17

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

The increase in the water is a given, so you don't need to hear that from me.

I myself, am VERY sensitive to nuts and fruits. Any of them. They out me into a stall. Even 3 peanuts, or 3 pecans doesn't matter. I stall.

Maybe cut out just the nuts and see if it helps. Then simply cut out the fruit and see if that makes a difference.

Low Carbing needs to be fine tuned to everyone. I've learned what makes me stall and if my goal is to drop weight I cut it out. To maintain, I'll add it in.

Simply try and find what fine tunes your LC WOE and woolah...the whoosh fairy will show up.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 10:22

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

I also bumped up the Water thread...
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 13:24

This is so great to have so much feedback.
I will have to write a note to myself on suggestions for stalls and see what I can do first! I am going stay of the scales pretty soon cause TOM is coming and I am also holding water right now so I am gonna up that water and keep walking.......Slow and steady wins the race they say............Thanks everyone! Debbie