Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in purchasing LC frozen meals if available in your food store
Would really like this option / Would purchase if available 53 89.83%
Would rarely consider this option in meals. 4 6.78%
Would not be interested/Would not purchase. 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 08:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/185
BF:
Progress: 44%
Question Poll: Frozen Meals

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me out with a project for school. I am taking a business class (USA) and need to write a business plan for a start up company. The idea I have come up with is starting a company that produces LC frozen meals for sale in retail stores. I need to do some research on the viability of the idea and possible target customers.

I thought this forum would be a good place to get some focused feedback!

My wife and I have been members of this forum for over a year now (even though I do not post often) but I am always here reading and getting ideas. We have been doing the LC WOL for over a year now and both have lost a good amount of weight and feel healthier, however, it is not always the most convenient to stick to without a bit of preparing. My thought was to have an option of some frozen meals would help out on those days we just don't have time to cook or prepare a lunch for work.

Could you leave any feedback you think is appropriate (i.e. meals that you would like to see, maximum carb counts per meal...)

Thank you in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 09:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/186/145 Female 5 foot 5 in.
BF:?????????
Progress: 39%
Default Yumm

Funny, I was thinking about this last night. I would love somehting like this. I am a full time student and have a full time job. Feeding the family is no problem on the busy days (Mac and cheese or frozen pizza) but feeding my self gets tricky. I end up eating cheese and lunch meat bla.

Good luck on your project!
Sarah
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Have you checked this forum for existing companies (and their webpages) to get ideas?

There are at least 2 mentioned in the last couple of months.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 12:36
Registered Member

BF:

I'll have to look through the other postings for those companies.

I have been looking on the web, but could only find companies that ship frozen LC meals directly to your home. I would think having it available in your food store would work well. Going for that niche market!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 16:18

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

Beef roast with mushrooms and aujus, brocolli, and mashed up cauliflower like as in fauxtatoes. Mmmmm yummy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 15:29
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Pork ribs with collard greens, Ya'll.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 15:55

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%
Cool

I'm not a fan of frozen meals, but hey, if it's yummy , why not? Every cook needs a worthwhile break ever so often!

#8   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 01:47
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

I found a low carb meal frozeen at my local Walmart superstore made by Chef's Choice it is 10 total carbs and 6-7 ECC per meal. They are 3.69 I believe and The ones I noted were beef and broccoli, chicken with sun dried tomato and cream sauce, chicken primavera.

I have tried the beef with broccoli its good I think. They are a bit pricier than I would like but I still buy to keep in the freezer for those emergency meal in a flash

I would love to see more companies get in on this!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 05:48
Registered Member

BF:

What did you concider a bit pricey? A price range would help with my marketing.

Most other frozen meals (at least in my area) run from $1 to about $3. Most of those meals are bulked up with cheap pasta or rice, our LC meals will require more meats and vegatables and probably cost a bit more.

I do find this WOL more expensive then living on carboydrates. Well worth it though!

Chris
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 21:21

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

I myself would purchase these meals because I do need on the go meals at times. I bought all three kinds of the Chef's Choice at Super Walmart a few weeks ago and my favorite is the Chicken with cheese sauce and sun dried tomatoes.
As far as ideas.....hmmmm......I think maybe a breaded chicken breast with radish potatoes.....or......low carb frozen pizza. I would probably try any of them if they were available.
I have thought about the endless possibilities with starting my own low carb restaurant and bakery. A low carb restaurant would be awesome to me.
Vicky
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:57

Plan: protein power, Atkins
Stats: 275/254/175 Female 70 inches
BF:53/41/21
Progress: 21%
Default YES YES YES

I have been waiting & hoping for anyone to come up with a LC frozen meal. Pre-low carb I used to take fozen meals for lunches to work 5 days a week in the winter... Just so nice to have a hot meal cold winter days in MN.... During the summer it isn't so much a big thing. But lc frozen meals in my grocery store! Yeah Count me in!! I have checked my local Walmarts and no such luck here in Minnesota yet but I have hope they willl come just like the Michelob Ultra. did. It took awhile to reach me but eventually it came. Meal ideas?? Beef and broccoli, any stir fry -sans rice of course, roast and green beans, low carb pizza, lasagne, anything basically. Carb counts... I would keep ECC between 10 & 15. But that's just me..... Good luck with your schooling and hope this info helps the world to see LC is here to stay and they darn well better start catering to us like they do the low fat crowd!!!!

Take Care
Messy Jesie
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 22:09

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I saw one low carb (and vegetarian, believe it or not!!) low carb frozen meal at a Dominicks the other day in northwest chicago suburbs. It was a cauliflower cheese souffle. only three carbs per serving!

Wow!

It was expensive but I will buy it and use it for one of those busy days! It was near the health food/vegetable frozen section.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 04:39
Registered Member

BF:

3 carbs, that is pretty low!

You said it was pretty expensive, how much do they run in your area? Having an approximate number would help with a target price. Thanks.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 01:15

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I think the cauliflower souffle was $5-6 for a large, family style entree/sidedish portion.

It was not geared toward low carbers though, I just saw it while looking in the vegetarian section (I am a vegetarian) and thought 'well that looks like it could actually be low carb' and then I read the nutrition and it was!

Normally I would not pay that much but for a vegetarian AND low carb meal WOW - talk about hard to find!!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 06:55
Registered Member

BF:

Yea, I think that would be hard to find that combination!

The Deep Dish Pizza Quiche could have some vegetarian options. I have heard they freeze well. I have one in the freezer now, just have not tried the reheating part. We shall see.

The more I research this business the more of a viable venture this seems to be. There just is not too much out there in the frozen foods area for us, but if I can pull this off there will be!