Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 15:09

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%
Question A question for nutty...

So you found you could still lose eating lots of nuts? Also, do you eat lots of cheese?

My favourite foods are green beans done in a ton of olive oil, nuts and goats cheese.

Do you also eat any soya beans? I'm asking all this becuase I'm thinking of trying out more veg options as I've been going a bit off lots of meat recently. Also I think all the minerals like magnesium and vitamins like biotin would be good for me, and you only really find these in nuts and whole soya beans in concentrated quantities.

Also I want to heal my eczema and for some reason I have a feeling a lot of mono fats like in nuts is going to be very helpful.

Thanks

Loops
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 01:13
Registered Member

Plan: reduced carb
Stats: 133/96/96 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Loops, major sorry for not replying sooner!!! So few veg people post here I got frustrated and haven't been back often.

Yes, Nuts never give me problems when it comes to weight. Only cashew is a little on the carby side, other nuts are all fine. I acutally started low-carb as an omnivore but for some reason, the weight loss was frustrating. The pounds just flew off once I switched to laco-veg diet (I eat 40+ g fiber a day), very light an dairy and mostly vegan stuff (nuts, LC soymilk, flax!, unripe fruits and some veggies.).

yesh, nuts!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 08:58

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%
Arrow Hiya again

Hello -

sorry too I didn't reply til now - I don't get replies emailed so I forgot to check back!!

I really want to find a way to do low-carb that doesn't make me feel tired and repulsed by meat.

However, I live in Chile and you can't buy low-carb soy milk - the stuff I have is in powdered form, no additives, but says it has 15.3g carb per 25g serving (dried). Damn! And I really like the idea of getting more minerals through other things other than veg, as I really am not into copious amounts of lettuce etc!

However, you CAN buy flax seed in large cheap quantities. I am interested in eating lots of this, as it contains lots of magnesium and B6, which isn't plentiful in meat (apart from tuna). The question is, can I be healthy eating this way?? And lose weight??

You can also buy whole soy beans here, but no tofu etc. Do you eat any whole soy beans? I'm asking because by your stats you seem to have been very successful with your approach and you always sound very positive - I want the secret!!

Sorry for so many questions, but I recently got fed-up once more with doing the McDougall plan, which is high carbohydrate and low-fat; I hadn't lost anything from the beginning for about 5 months and keep yo-yoing from doing low-carb to McDougall which isn't doing me any good! I really need to find more ways of getting protein and fat which doesn't involve meat as it literally makes me quite sick after being vegan for quite a while.

Thanks

Loops
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 15:18
Registered Member

Plan: reduced carb
Stats: 133/96/96 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Hi, LOOPS, soy milk is take-or-leave for me, so you should be fine without it. Actually, I've never had problems with real cow milk, I don't know where the lactose-phobia comes from. Whole soy beans are great, they can be cooked with veggie broth until very tender and soft, YUM! but I confess I am too lazy to go through the wash-soak-rinse-cook process but they are great stuff.

Flax seeds can be ground in a blender, and then used in recipes.

My stats is more like 98-100 now, I found 96 too thin, like, boyish, no good!

I run a lot, and do other work out as well, so it helps to keep my matabolism
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 20:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/156/126 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:
Progress:

Actually I made a veg chilli tonight for dinner. I used Black Soy Beans. Boca crumbles and Mushrooms for the meat and added my seasonings and made my own chilli sauce so I could control the carbs. Turned out pretty well. I made coleslaw for a side and made some low carb cornbread to go with it. My biggest critics didn't know it was low carbish. That is saying something. I always take a regular recipe and substitute. Judy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 14:11

Plan: Atkins- roughly
Stats: 157/153/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default LOOPS!! get a Soy milk machine

if you have easy access to beans, buy a soy milk machine. They sell here in asian markets, but they are all over the internet. You can make soy milk with flax and not have to buy expensive milk with carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 07:11

Plan: My own version
Stats: 206.5/199.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I just finished my first week, but had no trouble dropping 7 lbs. this week eating plenty of nuts and soy beans. Love my soybeans! You could also try seitan. Great meat sub.