Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Swearing Off Soy?

Has anyone done this?

I happen to be an omnivore, but I cook for a vegetarian boyfriend. I'm seriously suspicious of soy. I'm going to start limiting myself (and DB, by default) to some occasional tofu. No more processed substitutes. They're too expensive, anyway.

It'll take a bit more creativity, but I think it's do-able.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:41

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

If you are swearing off soy, I am curious what you will use to replace that spot on your plate. Do you eat beans or legumes at all or will you add them back to your diet at all to make up for the lack of soy? Just curious cause I love soy but at the same time. I think I am eating a little too much of it myself.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 10:03
Forum Moderator

BF:

Actually, it's pretty easy, so far. I do eat meat, and DB is ovo-lacto. The bare spot is being filled with cheese, eggs, yogurt, nuts, whey protein, various gluten flour creations, and legumes.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:55

BF:

That makes it easier then that he eats the eggs and cheese. We also have the mixed household too when it comes to veggie/non-veggies. 2 vegetarians, 1 vegan (due to dairy allergy) and 2 meat heads. Sure makes cooking the perfect family meal an adventure! Just out of curiosity what is your boyfriends fitday stuff look like on an average day? Does his being a vegetarian make the stats come out a lot different from yours when it comes to the calories/fat/carb/protein? I am still predominately veggie but I am finding the pregnancy requirements listed on the atkins site a challenge to reach.

It was hard doing atkins... people tend to think you are crazy and going to drop dead of a heart attack. It was harder being a vegetarian doing atkins cause most the people doing atkins think you are crazy. And well, now doing atkins, as a veggie (cept the doctor ordered seafood) and pregnant I feel like I have hit pretty much uncharted territory. It's a bit scary. Then again, I never was one of those that was accused of following the crowd.

Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 10:53
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi Jenn.

>>"Sure makes cooking the perfect family meal an adventure!"

Oh boy, I don't envy you!

>>"Just out of curiosity what is your boyfriends fitday stuff look like on an average day?"

I'm not sure; I've never plugged it in. A guess would probably be inaccurate. I can sum it up as this: he doesn't eat *low* carb, but he rarely eats any processed flour or sugar.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 14:28

BF:

Hmm, Any veggies out there than can give me an average fitday for yourself? (don't go picking the best one you have either!! hehe) I want a realistic count of a day in the life of a veggie-atkins follower. I am just curious as to how our daily stats add up when compaired to our non-veggie counterparts.

Thanks,
jenn
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 15:36
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Kristine, I'm with you about the soy. But with one exception--apparently tempeh and miso are ok, because they're fermented, and for some reason that makes them safer than the non-fermented soy products. I got this info from a pretty well informed person at Whole Foods, BTW, who said that the absolutely worst kind of soy is the soy protein isolate that's in the processed foods. And if you're staying off soy because you're being cautious about the estrogen (that's why I'm trying to avoid it), unless you're at very high risk of breast cancer, it's ok to have one serving of the fermented stuff a day.

As for cooking for a vegetarian, I guess you could rely mainly on peanuts and nuts for protein (and also seeds). There are lots of terrific African recipes using peanuts.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:25
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Kristine, I'm with you about the soy. But with one exception--apparently tempeh and miso are ok, because they're fermented, and for some reason that makes them safer than the non-fermented soy products.

I think the fermentation reduces the phytate content. Phytates cause poor absorption of many nutrients, thus its label as an "anti-nutrient".

I can't find tempeh or miso. Maybe I'll ask next time I'm at the Asian foods store. It's probably there and just not labelled in English.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Mar-17-04 at 08:38.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 19:58

Plan: vegetarian-diabetic
Stats: 190/172/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Question dr.mercola/soy warnings

www.mercola.com has several articles about using unfermented soy products, especially tvp..........i have have some health issues since i began using soy heavily 2 years ago.......i stopped using unfermented soy 3 weeks ago with good results; then i ate soy 'bacon' and have experienced a return of the same symptoms within hours[major hormonal upsets]...........any offerings on this soy issue???????i wrote the veg-immune website and their reply was 'anti-vegtetarianism", and granted dr. mercola is not a fan of vegetarianism, but he seems to be making some valid points about avoiding soy......i found his book 'the no-grain diet' helpful also, but very limiting , however using the diet has normalized my blood-sugar readings [type 2 diabetes]....this is my first post.......thankyou for being here.......
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 20:12
Forum Moderator

BF:

Is it the immuneweb site you're referring to? Shame on them for dismissing it as anti-vegetarianism. It's not just vegetarians who consume soy: it's in baby formula, it's a common filler to "stretch" meat, soy lecithin is used in all kinds of products, it's used as a hormonal supplement... it's an independant issue from meat eating. The concerns about soy are valid, and the power of the soy companies can't be dismissed.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 20:01

Plan: vegetarian-diabetic
Stats: 190/172/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Smile thanks for reply

.......yes, it was the immune website...i have deleted the reply and can't remember the respondent's name.......thankyou for the validation.........i am just beginning to study this soy issue....yes, the power of the soy producers is great..archer midlands daniel[or is it a.d.m.???]............i spoke to some hindi friends about this and they were disbelieving..they said tvp is a big seller and dietary product in india........they thought i was nuts[as do many i speak of this to; how can soy be bad for you?????the government recommends it!!!RIGHT!!!!!}............i went to a new naturapathic doctor today and she verified my misgivings about soy and hormonal imbalancing.......developing.........thanks again
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 22:07

BF:

Geeze what a depressing site after reading all the articles I read... Good god, what can a person eat LOL I mean between the mad cows, the new chicken funk stuff that has recently shown up, mecury in all the ocean fish, the evil grain, tofu that kills braincells and screws up your baby... gave me one heck of a headache. Anyways, seeing how my diet is almost completely structured around tofu and soy products I guess I'm gonna have to do some thinking about this one. Whats the alternative? Beans or will that make the low carbing impossible?

Jenn
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 08:58
Forum Moderator

BF:

>>Whats the alternative?

Ha! I hear you. With the exception of soy, since I really don't need it, I'm basically hedging my bets.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 12:24

BF:

Well my husband just sat and laughed at me today as I grumbled wandering through the store snatching up 5 different types of tempeh to ease my mind. hehe. My favorite restraunt in town makes these amazing tempeh rubin sandwiches. I think I'm gonna try and figure out how to make it myself at home since it did say that fermented soy was okay.

I talked to my nurse midwife and she said to just eat soy in moderation. She said having my soy shake a few times a week wasn't going to cause serious problems most likely. As for all the tvp burgers, and other products I eat... after I am done with my full freezer full of wanna be meat products I am going to definately think twice before grabbing a box and putting it into my cart.

Luckily I was told that my protein was actually too high for what I needed which was why I was using all those products to begin with. I went to fitday today and found that it's actually quite easy to reach an acceptable amount of protein without soy products at all. Using pinto or other type beans, nuts and dairy it was still easy to reach the amount I need. It didn't even have any effect on my carbs when I went to total out the daily percentages.

Thanks so much for starting this thread Kristine. I tend to like to keep my eyes closed at times just so I don't have to deal with reality. I wish I had really checked into it earlier because it really wasn't as much hastle as I thought it would be to fix the problem.

jenn
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 12:26

Plan: Vegetarian - my own
Stats: 155/145/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ok, so probably eat 2 to 4 servings of soy everyday! Yikes! I love the morning star veggie dogs and the new tomato basil veggie burgers. Those are pretty much the only soy products I eat, but I eat alot of them. I'm starting to get a bit worried about this. Can someone tell me what health issues occurred with these and can you direct me to some studies that have linked this stuff to breast cancer or other illnesses? I would really appreciate any information. Aahhhhh! I don't know what I'm gunna do with out my soy!