Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 00:04
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

cow's tongue is delicious. many a spanish recipe for tongue.
calf's liver.. when cooked in butter and garlic with a squeeze of lemon.. can make the liver taste mild.. very good.
chicken gizzards/heart packages are good for the crockpot. make a savory gravy and cook until tender.
oxtail is expensive.. it tastes like brisket meat, because it's cooked up against the bone, which makes it very tender.
another one for the crockpot and a savory gravy..
beef cheeks. two ways to cook this. in a crockpot. BUT, timing is everything. after 4 hrs, it can have the texture of brisket. longer and you can shred it and make beef tacos or enchiladas..
pig's head.. roasted. this was a delicacy in the early centuries.. can be a delicacy now, but labor intensive. full of collagen. make head cheese out of the meat from the head.
pig's feet.. so good and full of collagen. many spanish recipes have "trotters" cooked with beans.. ham and bean soup is one.. or cook down and add greens.

so many good parts of the animal.. so many good recipes. usually the cheaper cuts of meat - or used to be.

and these cuts of meat usually have more fat, which America shy's away from, now.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 00:36

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

We have always had a farm, goats, sheep, chickens, turkeys, ducks. geese...so we always ate all the animal that we didn't sell. Also, my mother was Australian, and she had much broader acceptance of exotic body parts (that's our name for them), our favorite breakfast was scrambled brains, generally sheep -- yes, for our own reassurance we only eat brain when we an be absolutely sure where they come from and what they are being fed. Austria (DH is Austrian) has a traditional kind of stew they make during hunting season -- wonderful for cold days -- its heart, lungs -- can be made with any ruminant's heart and lungs. We always saved the hearts and lungs from our lambs and kids for the winter. Restaurants in the countryside tend to have venison beuschel on the menu in fall and winter. Kids (the human ones) never really got into it, but I loved. Its called beuschel. Happy exotic body part eating!!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 07:16

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
I am now considering blood sausage... We had an excellent type in Spain for which I found a recipe, and would really like to give it a shot. Not sure how to do it without rice or oatmeal, but feel it might be worth a try.

I have a low carb recipe for polish kiszka that calls for coconut flour. Haven't tried it yet. I was wondering if it really needs to put put in casings, or if it could be put in a loaf pan, then sliced & fried.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 10:51

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Bonnie, I have a vague recollection from my researching recipes some time ago that one did suggest doing just that, using a pan instead of casings. I often make liver pate in canning jars - cook in a water bath in the oven without the lid, and then put on the lid before freezing the extra (my recipe makes 4 or 5 of the jars that I use). I should think that blood sausage would work just as well.
I have found a number of European recipes (well, Swedish from dietdoctor, and German from various sites) that use psyllium husk powder as a binder/thickener. It has no taste of it's own, and works very well. I use it in meatballs and the like, as well as certain baked goods. Don't have the recipe right at hand, but I believe I put some in the liver pate as well.

ETA: Just looked up Polish kiszka; looks good

Last edited by Verbena : Sun, Mar-18-18 at 11:00.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 10:56

BF:

"pig's feet.. so good and full of collagen. many spanish recipes have "trotters" cooked with beans.."

Pilotgal - I always put smoked ham hocks in my pea soup, but have never tried pigs' feet. DH loves his pea soup, so I might need to give that a try. He can have the peas, and I can have the trotters
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 11:08

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

All of the old time beer joints use to have jars of pickled pigs feet and also pickled eggs.. I remember seeing them in old stores that were 1/2 bar and 1/2 groceries.
here are some:https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...s+feet&_sacat=0
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 11:40

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Love tongue (ccoked beef or other ruminant tongue -- boy that looked weird when I wrote it) and trotters -- but they might not take the palce of ham hocks -- of course they'd needto not be pickled -- other wise I guess they would work!! Lots of collagen truly.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 17:15

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I love beef tongue; it's my #1 choice if a deli has it (not many around here do); with chopped chicken liver a close second. However, lots of hispanic joints around here have tongue as a a choice of meat for whatever you're ordering (tacos, burritos, tostadas...). My favorite preparation is when they chop it up and reheat it in salsa verde.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: LC, IF
Stats: 256/240/190 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

I buy a 100% grass-fed braunschweiger. It's 60% beef and 40% beef liver. Tastes great, especially with mayo on it. Plus, I don't have to cook anything.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 10:08

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Susan, that braunschweiger sounds really nice.

I quite like chicken livers, and also veal brains. Veal brains are nice alone, or mixed with scrambled eggs.

I sometimes order mixed, ground organ meats, to be mixed with the ground, muscle meat. Then I just make small hamburgers with the mixture, or cook it with vegs.

I also use marrow bones.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 21:41

BF:

Back in the day I used to dredge my strips of liver in seasoned flour. Haven't done that for years, just sprinkled the seasoning on the liver before sautéing. This evening I mixed a couple of Tbls of psyllium husk, and a couple of Tbls of hazelnut flour (what I had; (almond flour would also work, or coconut, I imagine), and then a good sprinkle of some spice mix (in this case, with paprika, cayenne & herbs) + some salt & pepper. Sautéed in lard, with some fried onions, and some sautéed greens. Tasted lovely, and had a somewhat crunchy exterior due to the psyllium & hazelnut
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-19, 23:03

BF:

A site I have archived, with some interesting recipes and information:
https://thecuriouscoconut.com/blog/...al-and-odd-bits
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-20, 21:34

BF:

I discovered today that a local supermarket - a local chain, with 3 links in southwestern Oregon - has a dedicated freezer with various “interesting bits”. Beef tongue, liver, pig feet, chicken feet, and others I don’t remember. Many had the Spanish names on the label as well, which indicates the market they are aiming for. There was also pork belly, of which I grabbed a package, and honeycomb tripe. This made me think of my very favorite Campbell’s soup from when I was much younger: Philadelphia Pepperpot Soup. They don’t make it anymore, but I pretty much gave up on canned soups when they stopped making it (this was a good thing). I looked up a recipe when I got home, as well as some others (the package was rather large, more than needed for soup), and think I will give it a try one of these days. I also found an interesting Filipino recipe for tripe and oxtail, which sounds like a good way to use the rest of the tripe. We’ll see.

Last edited by Verbena : Thu, Jul-23-20 at 21:59.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-20, 10:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

HOW did I miss this thread ?!?lol

Great stuff.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-20, 12:17