Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:46

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 156/?/135 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Weight Loss Stall and IBS

Hello. I have a few questions about IBS and low carbing. I have had IBS for approx 5 yrs. Three years ago I started low carbing and lost 20 pounds in a few months. I was a healthy 135. At that time I cheated alot, ate whole wheat products, drank caffeine while still maintaing my weight for over one year and continuing to lose. Also, IBS symptoms disappeared for the first time ever and felt incredible. I was suffering for extreme abdominal bloating, constipation, irriability and fatigue. Then I got pregnant (I have a beautiful 8 month old baby boy!) and had to up my carbs. I gained 40 pounds(179 pounds)while pregnant and had very little symptoms of IBS.
So, once I had my baby in May I immediatly lost some weight and weighed about 149 (15 pounds to lose - not too bad I thought..with low carb it will just come off!). I nursed for a few months while still eating an increased carb diet but still low carb - but had to stop nursing due to low milk supply. This is when things got worse. I decided to start low carbing the way I did before..but was even stricter on myself so I could lose the baby weight and be back at 135 pounds. I noticed that IBS started to flare up now and then..sluggish bowel movements, constipation, some diarrhea, bloating (all over..esp abdominals)..etc. Also, I simply can not lose the weight!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only can I not lose the weight..I finally decided to weigh myself a month ago and was up to 160 pounds!. So..I take a close look at my eating habits and honestly have to say that I am NOT cheating..no sugar, no caffeine, no bread, no pasta, looking at all ingr in my meals and labels, and increased my water supply and exercise. So, started taking the right supplements.. and nothing. My IBS is worse than it has ever been!! I am getting depressed because I don't know what is going on with my body! I look pregnant again (but I am not!). My face & abs look huge, I am fatigued again and seem to retaining water. Bowel movements are extremely sluggish..I go once a week and the day I go...man do I go (diarrhea with cramps). So I decided to eliminate cheese, peanut..etc to figure it out with no luck. I don't want to have to complete eliminate the foods that I love and had great success with prior to baby. I desperatly want the low carbing to work again like it did before and feel like I did before.

So, I'm wondering if the IBS which is deciding to flare up is stalling my weight loss? Has anyone heard of this? Low carb the first time was so easy for me..worked wonders on my IBS for almost 2 yrs. Not sure what to do and getting depressed over the symptoms and inability to lose weight when I am trying so hard.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 18:59

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default thyroid?

Hi there,
I am wondering if you developed thyroid problems after having the baby.
I was diagnosed with a thyroid nodule around the 6 wks check after my last
child was born, which was a while ago now. It took a bit of time to figure
out what was going on, but to save time here I will say that it is common
for a thyroid disorder to show up after childbirth. Just an idea of what may
be to blame. Worth looking into anyway....
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 19:33

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 156/?/135 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:
Default Re: Thyroid

HI!

Thanks for the response. I had blood work done after the baby and everything..including thyroid was fine! Unless there is recent problems with thyroid starting to show up?? But, I have been surfing the net and have heard that low-carbing the second time around is much more difficult. Has anyone else heard about this?? The first time was easy as it was the first time in my life that I gave up carbs and my body just lost the fat right away. Since I reintroduced the carbs while pregnant it is much harder for my body to lose the weight the second time...I guess it is not a "shock" to my body anymore. I have heard about this from many people lately who have been on and off low-carb programs. Does this make sense to anyone? I guess I should have to accept the fact that it will take longer this time and might have to continue cutting out carbs until I start losing consistenly. Also, maybe the stress of having......or should i say..taking care of a baby has flared up my IBS??

Anyways....I guess if anyone is planning to stop low carbing....or in my case get pregnant again I have to be realistic in my weight loss expectations and low carbing. Since my body was used to low carbing for a few years it has to have time to get used to low carbing again?? If anyone has any info on this I would love to read it!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 21:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/227/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Airam,

I also have IBS and as with you I have had very good results with this woe and decreased IBS symptoms. Actually only one bought in the summer when on holidays... and for some reason I have a small flair up right now. One of the things that I have done beside this WOE#is added 1 tbsp of metamucil every night in a large glass of water (sugar free, orange flavor). This helps to keep me regular and occassionally if I am not I add a stool softner like ducosate. It really has helped not having processed foods and I think wheat and starchy products were a trigger for me.

Besides for diet, IBS is also triggered for what ever reason by stress so look at that possiblity. As a new mom are you getting the sleep etc. I would strongly recommend keeping to this woe if it helped in the past. Especially if you are hoping to loose wt. The wt you have gained and are not loosing is probably related to the IBS flair up. Studies have shown that attacks add wt either from bloating and water retention or what... they were not sure but there was a study done when the case study was not having an attack and when they did and the gain was very dramatic.

IBS is a terrible affliction with a lot of different ideas but as no one person has the same triggers, or things that relieve them it is trial and error for each of us.

I thank God that I have been relatively free since June 2003. The fatigue/ pain were really effecting my daily life activity.