Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 19:02
Carol CA

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Talking Carol's Famous LC Chocolate Cheesecake!

This is a recipe I made up this past December. It's simple, quick and DELICIOUS! I've shared it with many in my new circle of friends here on the forum... and it's gotten rave reviews. I thought I'd post it here for the rest of you to try. If chocolate doesn't appeal to you... you need help... NO... just read on for suggestions on variations.

Quote:
Chocolate Cheesecake --
Click Here for Picture

by Carol CA

1 pkg gelatin
¼ c water
2 oz Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1¼ cup heavy cream
1 t vanilla
2 T DaVinci SF Chocolate Syrup (If you don't have this, just add more Splenda to taste. Not all that important. I've also used Kahlua SF syrup... and that's good, too! Be creative.)
2T Splenda

· Dissolve gelatin in cold water and set aside.
· Put 1/4 cups of the cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
· Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and stir into boiling cream along with the chocolate until cream cheese is smooth and the chocolate is melted.
· Add the gelatin, vanilla and sweetener (to suit your taste) and pour mixture into largish mixing bowl and let cool down.
· While this is cooling, whip remaining cream until very stiff.
· After cream cheese mixture is cool, beat well with an electric mixer.
· Add whipped cream and mix again until thoroughly blended.
· Pour into a buttered or sprayed pie pan, muffin tins or ramekins.
· Chill until firm, about 2 hours. (Overnight is best.)

This recipe is simply heavenly! You can sprinkle ground chocolate or finely ground nuts on top for added eye appeal. Serve this to your guests with pride... low carbers or not!
----------------------------------
Here are the stats per FitDay:
FOR THE ENTIRE PIE...
2144 Calories
222 Fat
31 Carbs
30 Protein

One-sixth is a nice serving. Okay... OKAY... so I really eat 1/4 at a time. This is something that when I make it, I take 1/2 of it IMMEDIATELY over to my friend's house... or I'd eat it all.
No control. Tsk tsk.
VARIATIONS --
- Strawberry -- I've omitted the chocolate and used SF strawberry syrup. Garnish with fresh strawberry slices.
- Butterscotch -- I've used Jello SF Butterscotch Pudding... adding 1/2 pkg per pie. I also added a splash of DaVinci's Butter Rum SF Syrup... but that probably didn't add much flavor. If you don't have it, just the pudding will suffice. This makes for a very thick pie, however. YUMMY!
- Kahlua -- Either add the chocolate or not. I then added DaVinci SF kahlua syrup. Very mocha-y tasting.
- You can also make a crust using ground macadamia nuts and a little butter. Press into a pie pan... and you have a wonderful crust. I did this when I made the butterscotch pie. To die for!
- Your turn to think of something!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 19:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Talking Oh Baby!

Just mention the word CHOCOLATE and I'm here Looks like a winner Ms C ..B
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 20:01
Carol CA

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Talking Hey there, Bonnie!

I've posted this twice in my own diary... in Mischa's, Donald's and it's now TWICE in Digwig's. So I figured I'd posted it here for the rest of the forum! It's the only sort of recipe I like -- delicious, legal, quick and EASY!!! I'd love to try the Collaboration Lasagna... but there are just too many steps involved... no matter HOW good it is! Hey... all my time is consumed posting. Who has time to cook,too!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 12:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up YUMMY

I thought I'd take a minute to stop here and reiterate that this recipe is full of yummy goodness.

I've made several variations. The first time I made it as directed. But I only have a 9-inch springform pan, so in the latter versions I've doubled the recipe (though when doubling, I use only one geletin so it's a little creamier). I've used a ground almond crust (butter the pan, load in the ground almonds, pour the mixture over it. I've also used ground macadamia nuts which was also excellent. My most recent version I used thinly sliced bananas on the bottom. I only used one banana for the entire pie, so I don't think the carb count is too awful bad. And it was yummy good too.

I eat mine with whipped cream.

Oh, I also don't have the DaVinci syrup on hand, so I use extra Splenda.

I haven't frozen any yet. Has anyone else??

Thanks Carol!!!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 23:50
Carol CA

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Strawberry Cheesecake... YUMMY!

Just posted the STRAWBERRY version ... and, trust me... it's wonderful!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

This recipe had now become my favorite low carb treat. I couldn't wait an entire 2 hours to wait to try it and it was absolutely delicious, even without the 2 hour minimum wait.

I made mine with a ground pecan crust. The next time I make it, I'm thinking of experimenting by adding coconut extract for a mounds bar cheesecake, or maybe mint for a chocolate mint cheesecake. (That way I can change the name of it to asugar's cheesecake and take all the credit for Carol's creativity. )

I'm thinking of cutting up the rest of the cheesecake and freezing the individual pieces. I love frozen cheesecake and I'm sure this recipe will fill the void in my heart that's been present ever since I started lowcarbing and gave up chocolate ice cream.

asugar
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 12:23
Carol CA

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Talking Try THIS!

I'm glad you liked it! I knew you would! Did you see my post... I can't for the life of me remember where I posted it... about the Butterscotch version? I made a crust out of ground macadamia nuts and a little bit of butter. Pressed that into a pie plate.

For the filling I used this recipe minus the chocolate... and in its place I put 1/2 pkg of SF butterscotch pudding. I also added some DaVinci Butter Rum syrup.... and it was simply DANGEROUS!!!!! It was sooo good, I never made a second one... but come to think of it... I think I still have 1/2 a pkg of pudding in my cupboard.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

The butterscotch sounds really good, but I'm sitting here wondering how it would taste with sf pistachio pudding and perhaps a pistachio crust? I'm not sure of the carb count on pistachios though.

For the chocolate one, I'm also thinking of mixing the gelatin with strong black coffee instead of water to give it a mocha flavor. Ah, yes, I can see a lot of possibilities for this recipe.
asugar
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 14:17
Carol CA

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Oh, yeah... and how bout making a crust out of crushed Oreos... or how bout this.... crushed candy canes in the filling? Ohh...oohh... how bout M&M's inside?

You're right. Many possibilities. Too bad you don't like strawberries. That one was FAB! I have a peanut butter DaVinci syrup. I wonder if I could do something with a blop of peanut butter mixed in? My head is crammed full of cheesecake dreams. If I was really ambitious, I'd try a double-layered one... but nah. Too lazy for that.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 17:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/193/175
BF:
Progress: 40%

are there any other syrups i could use? I cant find the ones you listed. Without the syrup, wouldnt it taste kind of...bland?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 17:03

Stats: 278/198/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 63%

Made this and it is more of a mousse than cheesecake but very, very good. I highly recommend it!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 09:13

BF:

Been fooling with this a lot and my last version was the best. I used Da Vinci Coconut syrup instead of water with the gelatin. I added some coconut and chocolate extract to the mix for extra flavor and finally I added about 20% extra whipped cream to the recipe. I made a half recipe and this version really made 5 1/2cup portions. I used the extra whipped cream I made to top the dish - sweetened with Da Vinci vanilla syrup. I brought this to some friends for "coffee and. . ." it was a big hit.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 23:09
Carol CA

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

You don't have to use DaVinci syrups. My first one was with Unsweetened Chocolate and Splenda. I've also used 1/2 a small box of Jello instead of the gelatin... and Splenda to taste. All sorts of variations!

Glad to hear about the coconut version, catmom! I'm off the cheesecakes for a while myself. I'm focussing on lowering my calories and upping my exercise... BUT when I make my next one, I'm going to try the coconut. You know... I've heard of unsweetened coconut... but I'll be darned if I can find it in any store!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 13:41

BF:

If you can't find unsweetened coconut in the local health food store you can get it from King Arthur flour on line. Believe it or not I need this sweet to keep my calories up around 1500 - 1600, otherwise I end up at about 1200 and stall! Nice to have something soooo good to get me to where I should be.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 15:13

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Carol,
Thank you for this great cheesecake recipe.

I've also tried variations.
My first chocolate version was a bit of a disaster, I don't have the syrups and I didn't add enough splenda. It was very sour.
Still I persevered and made a strawberry version with fresh crushed strawberries and plenty of splenda. It was HEAVEN. I also eat fresh strawberries to accompany it.
Also did the same with fresh raspberries, again wonderful.
So I tried the chocolate again...got it spot on.

Someone asked about freezing it...I cut it into portions then freeze it the day after I've made it...freezes really well. I have to freeze it otherwise I'm in danger of eating the whole cake within 2 days !!

Ali