Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-20, 08:52

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Need Info - HRT - Post-Menopausal Women

Long time ago I read something about the difference between oral and dermal methods and their respective efficacy and detrimental effects. I'm talking about the liver where oral was shown to be detrimental while dermal was shown to be comparatively safe. So, if anybody has any info on that I'd appreciate it. Studies and whatnots will do just fine. Obviously it's not for me, it's for a relative.

Also, this relative told me about some old injuries that started to hurt again (two bone fractures), in a similar way when the injury was healing way back when. So, some more info on that would be appreciated too, if you got any of that as well.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-20, 09:26

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Injury could be remodeling. Otherwise, low carb has keep pain in joints low during healing after a horse kicked my wrist into a million preices. In the years following, a low carb diet kept the pain away. Theses days no pain, high carb or low. My point is that low carb is less inflammatory .

I use HRT. Based on reading dr christianne northrops books. Books for women written by a woman. She is a supporter of bioidenticle homones not pharmaceuraculs. HER book is very detailed and worth investing in. Hard to find a doc that beleives as she does. Myself, Ive been to the big teaching hospitals around Mass and they are into pharmaceuticals.

Dr northrup discusses other options as foods also contain helpful chemucals.

I use ground flax seed to replace estrogens. Becausr of a gene, no doctor will give me estrogen replacenent. When i was not taking the flax and had a blood test, estrogen was rock bottom. Ethically, doctors are bound to not give me estrogen replacement. Sooooo I turned to flax.

Progesterone cream is also otc. Needed to balance the estrogens. Noted to be protective in reguards to estrogens.

Testosterone. Only by prescription. The pills are designed for men. As I remember only one on the markey that can be used off label for women. A creme has been my best option but very expensive at $75/month. Honestly, it does wonders . Takes 2-3 weeks to see results. Urinary incontenence totally stops. Other sphyncters work better too, and hands are stronger.

Getting a doctor to help has been the biggest challenge. You might work backwards. Find a pharmacy that is a compounding pharmacy and ask for a list of doctors that use their services.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-20, 11:21

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thanks Arielle, I'll check that out.

I forgot to mention that my relative told me she stopped her current HRT protocol and that's why the old injuries started to hurt again, and that's why I mentioned I had read about HRT/liver/whatnot.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-20, 05:09

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Hey there. I've experimented a lot with HRT protocols and can tell you and studies verify that estrogen is a pain reducer.

yes, oral hrt causes more issues with liver and all that this means, but it also creates a steady state that transdermal cannot create. Meaning, say you're using a patch, within 24 hours after removing the patch you're back at your base levels. It just depends on what each person wants/feels is most important.

there is an old doc that I've used a lot thru the years. It tells you exactly which estrogen does what and why in easily understood language. If you search "Cenegenics pharmacology of estrogens and progestogens..." it should come up. PDF doc.

I've found buccal/sublingual to be very effective method.

Hope this helps.