Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-10, 20:27
Registered Member

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 325/238/190 Male 5''9
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Dumbell workouts!

So I have been on zero carb and IF for a few weeks now and have a long way to go, so about a year ago I bought a set of quality dumbells which haven't even been touched yet, and was wondering if I added a dumbell workout routine to my diet weekly if this is a good idea? I eat very little, easily under 1000cal a day and am happy this way so don't plan on upping the calories yet!!!

Would this be okay? would I lose the fat any faster? and does anybody do this and have a routine they might like to share?

Any tips or advice welcome thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-10, 10:23

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

It is a great idea. It will not make you drop fat any faster, but it will tone up the muscles. There are plenty of good workout programs, but focus on compound exercises for the maximum bang for your buck. I like to focus on ONE press and one pull. One-arm standing shoulder presses and dumbbell deadlifts will get you stronger than 90% of the people out there.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 18:54
Registered Member

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 325/238/190 Male 5''9
BF:
Progress: 64%

Thanks Alienbug!

I pulled them out anyway and am just looking for some routines....was curling the other night and must have over done it, my biceps were really sore!!!

Is my calorie intake ok? don't fancy upping them atm but people seem to say eat more if you start using weights?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 11:27

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

I have not curled in 20 years. A bit too old to worry about the beach/mirror muscles. Stick to back/shoulder/leg workouts for functional strength and leave the curls and bench presses to the high school kids.

As for calories, I haven't a clue, but your estimate of under 1,000 sounds way too low. Measure EVERYTHING for a couple days and reassess because 1,000 calories is a concentration camp level of food intake. Most people dramatically underestimate their calories intake and dramatically overestimate how may calories they burn exercising.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-10, 14:13

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

if your calorie intake is accurate, you need more calories than that. adding a workout to this will only make your calorie deficit even greater.

you might be ok for a little while at this calorie level, but you can't possibly have any real muscle quality like this long term.