Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 03:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/186/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default 18 day vacation...What am I going to do?

My husband and I started this WOL on June 16th and since that time, he has lost 20 lbs. and I have lost 13. Which is awesome for us. However, my hubby can cheat here and there and not have a problem. I don't dare do that or it will be downhill plus, I am very proud of how strong willed I have been (or maybe it's because this WOL seems easy) anyhow, we are leaving very soon for a 18 day vacation that will be a combination of driving, staying at hotels, camping and ending at Cedar Point in Ohio (Can't wait, never been there). How will I keep it up for such a long time when in the past, vacation meant enjoying everything to the fullest including food. I am tempted to take my scale with me. I may sneak it in cause hubby would probably think I am nuts. I will have my laptop with me so maybe I'll have to keep checking in here to stay on course. We will have a cooler with us and I plan on only packing approved foods it is the eating out I am concerned with. Sorry to go on and on but I am really nervous about this one.

Any advice?

Martha
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 03:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Marth,
Who wouldn't be scared! Don't scare yourself into a problem. Why would you NOT be able to enjoy food to the fullest while on vacation? You can enjoy wonderful foods and stay on plan. Just order what it is you want on a bed of greens!

Be careful not to use the word "vacation" as an excuse to eat those full carb meals. Focus on the ultimate goal.

Try and view menus before going to the restaurants and if you have Dr A's pocket carb counter he has a section where he makes suggestions to order according to what restaurant type.
Good Luck and keep us posted!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 04:12

Stats: 207/186/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Thanks Redhead

I will pack my carb counter so I can refer to it. I think I can do this...

Martha
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 04:50

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 216/177/150 Female 5feet5inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

I had vacation for two weeks in June and I ate in restaurants for every meal.I did not gain an ounce.Breakfast was easy and the other two meals i had salad and chicken or shrimp or lobster or steak.Make sure you have a can of nuts for when you are hungry you can grab a few or a hunk of cheese.Pack lots of water and i ate strawberries and cream every day also.I just got of another week vacation of eating out every day and again no weight gain.I feel like I really have a handle on this plan now and it is a life plan for me.Don't forget to pack your vitamins.Have a great vacation.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 04:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins /my own
Stats: 164/164.0/120 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

My husband I went for a week to nova scotia with two babies in the car. I packed the car with bottles of water, individually packed string cheese. We stopped in large supermarkets (Atlantic Superstores kick butt!!) for the salad bar and bought lunchmeat to go with it. If we ate breakfast at a restaurant, I got my eggs and bacon and left the toast and hash browns for my 2 year old. I did eat Advantage bars, because I figured they were better than risking temptation for a high carb meal. Also we looked for motels that had some sort of kitchen (even just a fridge) and I would keep a block of cheese in there) Good Luck! You can do it! Michelle
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 05:06
Registered Member

Stats: 178/147/130 Female 157.5cm (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 65%

Maybe if you don't think you can stick to it you should look at a maintainence plan for the 2 weeks or consider going very strict induction until you leave for the holiday (to give you a buffer zone)

Otherwise I think you should just concentrate on making the best choice possible whenever you can - choose the foods closest to the plan - if that happens to be not completely legal - if it is the best possible choice, don't beat yourself up about it - any reduction in carbs has got to be better than going off completely!
BTW I'm not giving you a licence to cheat, if steak and salad is on the menu, that is the choice you need to make over choosing that pasta

Then when you come back - straight back to plan - remember this is supposed to be a WOL and has to be a bit flexible in order to enjoy life -vacations are supposed to be stress relief!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 05:48

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Eating out doesn't have to be difficult. Just order the same thing you would fix if you were at home. I eat out twice a day at work at the cafe in my building and never have a problem. There is always the salad bar (which I rarely utilize except for the hard boiled eggs and rarely cottage cheese). Yesterday I had a pizza burger without the bun and it was wonderful! Just don't allow yourself to even consider for a moment cheating and you will do great! Eating out is just like eating at home except someone else has to cook and clean

L
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 06:06
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Eating out is the easiest part, snacking in the car along the way can cause more problems! Make sure you brings lots of acceptable treats! For some reason, I seem to eat more when I am stuck sitting in a car all day. I found nuts the best thing to much on. And I could find then at gas startions along the way. I also brought a cooler with items like celery, cream cheese, ham (which I made up along the way) string cheese, and other goodies with me. Oh yes, and lots of water, this way you get to pee across the country
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 06:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I work for a company that teaches, and travel to conferences. My only problem is breakfast. I can't always break away, and if there is something available, it's usually only continental breakfast.

I would suggest taking a cooler, and going to GNC to get some shakes and other things you can safely munch on. I ended up with bars, and actually gained 2 pounds during the last conference, but I've been easily able to get back on track now that I'm home. Lunch and dinner are never a problem, a meat and a veggie, and I actually love getting to eat out because it gives me a good variety. Just have to brainstorm regarding breakfast so you don't end up eating McDonalds eggs every day.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 06:30
Registered Member

Stats: 165/130/120 Female 5ft 7in.
BF:
Progress:

Hi. You can do it. However, you might want to buy prepackaged nuts, or make pre-proportioned snacks. I do this for myself because I could consume the whole can in one sitting if I'm not careful! Good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 06:40

Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I just got back from a vacation for 10 days, it is easier than you think, because there are so many CHOICES than you would have to PLAN at home.
I did go off of it for a day, a planned CHEAT day, and that day I had everything I wanted, but then went right back on it. I didn't gain anything. If you find it consuming your mind.........cheat ONCE and then get back on the plan.

Good luck!!!
But remember don't beat yourself up if you go off for a day, just hop right back on!!

Heidi
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 07:04

Stats: 165/165/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Restaurant eating is a snap on vacation. Even fast food has some decent choices (chicken fajita pita w/o the pitaat J-in-the-Box).

Car food is a whole other story!! Be sure you pack what you like, 'cause the gas stations don't have much to choose from. On a road trip last weekend, I grabbed some Oboy Oberto cocktail pepperoni, thinking it was a decent choice...and it was, carb-wise, but the number one ingredient was pig hearts!! Of course I had eaten 2 before I read the ingredients. Gag, hurl, yuck!!

So I learned my lesson. Have you tried many "acceptable" snacks? I just tried the Morning Start bars last week,and they were tasty.

Good luck! Hang in there!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:39

Stats: 155/175/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: -100%

Vacation? No problem. I"m in Jamaica and I'm constantly drooling over these ads I see on TV> Like the Arbys double decker, or that ham turkey thing from subway.

Breakfast from Mcdonalds, egg & sausage. Try a ton of those little white castle hamburgers. BK has lost of sandwiches with high protein content. IHOP and Denny's are heaven (no pankcakes of course).

I could go on and on..

I'd say, dont be afraid to eat, never let yourself be hungry, just eat luxurously but toss the bread.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:40

Stats: 155/175/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: -100%

BTW : Have a GREAT vacation.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:52

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Think WOL, eating out while on vacation is no different that eating out at home. Enjoy the great foods available on the plan and try to concentrate on some of the other great aspects of the vacation you are enjoying. I have gone on 2 mini vacations while lcing and stuck to the plan both times. One of the benefits was feeling so much better while traveling, no bloating or lethargy after a carb blowout along the way. Think positive and enjoy yourself.