Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-20, 21:15

Plan: Keto
Stats: 650/470/240 Male 6'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I've only made chaffles twice since getting the little Dash. They were fine, but when I tried to make a sandwich with one it turned very soft - almost mushy. Which I didn't care for. How do you keep the salad from turning the chaffle soft?

Are you doing layers or making a batter? I've found batters to be much flimsier. When you do the cheese layers on top and on the bottom, they kind of "crisp" up (as in cheese crisps) and make it better as a bun.

I only do batters when I am doing a sweet application, when I plan to top them with a syrup, or berries and whipped cream, or Lily's chocolate chips, or ...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 05:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
How do you keep the salad from turning the chaffle soft?
Maybe Debbie can tell us what brand of mozza she's using. This seems to make a difference. For example, the first time I used cheddar, it was fine. The second time with a different brand, it was a disaster! Oil and cheese goo all over the place, and a burned eggy crusty excuse of a chaffle. I'll be keeping better notes in the future.

I did a nice chaffle burger, and it sat long enough for me to take a nice photo. I think the trick to making it less soggy was using one of Steve's recipes, which generally include almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum and/or whey protein isolate. (Goes to check journal) Darn, I didn't take note of which chaffle variation I made.

#33   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 06:45

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I should keep better notes, too. I don't remember if it was the cheddar or the mozz one that went soft. I do remember that I mixed the egg & cheese. I'll try with almond flour next time. And keep notes.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 12:49

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I use Sargento mozzarella mainly because it's the only brand the supermarket sells that comes in a whole milk variety as opposed to part-skim which all the other brands are. I usually just eat them "as is" with a little butter, maybe cinnamon, make a touch of LC maple-flavored syrup. I don't usually make them into sandwiches, but if I do I toast them in the toaster first.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-20, 21:12

BF:

I typically use either a Kroger or Sargento Italian blend cheese.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-20, 08:56
Forum Moderator

BF:

Wow, game-changer for me: I tried paneer as a chaffle, and it worked brilliantly. Paneer, like halloumi, is a cheese that basically doesn't melt. You can fry or grill it.

I used 2.7 oz of paneer, about 1/4 of the package. I buzzed it in the Magic Bullet until grainy, then added the egg. It formed a thick batter.

The end result was a tad dry, but very good. I'll try adding a Tbsp of butter or oil next time; that should help. It was also very bland: I might have to actually add salt, and maybe a touch of garlic powder or other spices. It would probably work well with cinnamon and splenda.

Something I'm liking about this option is that it's affordable: my rule of thumb for buying cheese is that I don't like paying more than $1 per 100 g. If a 500-g block is on sale for $4.99, that's a good price. These 350-g bricks of paneer are regularly $2.99.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-20, 21:05

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I made a chaffle this evening with pepperjack cheese, a large pinch of mixed herbs (a Mediterranean in in this case), and a small handful of salad shrimp tossed in. It was nice on it’s own, with some butter, but would make a nice base for some sort of sauce as well, maybe a clam sauce, or mushroom. I’m glad I remembered the humble chaffle. Sometimes, in these days of staying home more, my DH (who doesn’t eat cheese) will order some sort of takeout, and then I find that a chaffle, for which I always have the ingredients, is a quick thing for me.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-20, 21:26

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I found a recipe for a non-cheese chaffle (I have to go easy on cheese) with just egg, almond flour, baking powder & water (tho I use almond flavor instead). Not being a very precise person, I had trouble with the waffle maker over-flowing with one & the other would be smaller. So I decided to make pancakes instead - I love them! The almond flavor goes well berries.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-20, 13:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I do mine mostly without cheese these days also - just crushed pork rinds and eggs (paffles anyone?)
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-20, 01:28
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I do mine mostly without cheese these days also - just crushed pork rinds and eggs (paffles anyone?)
I like that, too. Companion thread: WereBear's Griddle Muffins. They work really well on the waffle maker.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-20, 19:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Today I ordered a Dash mini waffle maker and am looking forward to making my first chaffle. I keep reading that the basic ingredients are shredded cheese and an egg. Wouldn't that make an egg omelet? Is the consistency better because of the crunchiness of the outer layer of cheese? I'm not a very adventurous cook, lazy in the kitchen, so am hoping the basic recipe will do.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-20, 19:39

BF:

Some people think they taste eggy. I don't.

And, yes, the layers are what make it firmer.

For myself, I do layers when I'm wanting a bun or bread or savory chaffle, but I will make a batter if I'm doing a sweet application. Generally, for a savory chaffle, I'll use a sharp cheddar cheese, but for sweet, I use an Italian blend.

I put my waffle maker on my kitchen scale to make sure my measurements are good. Otherwise, if I eyeball my measurements, I always end up with overflow and a mess to clean up.

My basic savory application is:
  • 10 grams shredded cheese
  • 25 grams beaten egg (about 1/2 a large egg)
  • 10 grams shredded cheese
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-20, 19:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Thanks, OgreZed! I bought a big bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese today, so that's good. I will place my waffle maker on my food scale to weigh ingredients. That's a great idea.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-20, 01:34
Forum Moderator

BF:

New variation: higher protein, no cheese. I used whey protein, so maybe I'll call it the whaffle?

1 egg
1/2 c egg whites
1 scoop (31 g) whey protein powder*
1/2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp coconut flour

Combine ingredients. The batter will be runny. It's easy to flood the waffle maker - definitely put it on a towel or cutting board. This makes 8 servings - I have a 25 ml (1.5 Tbsp?) measuring spoon that I used for each whaffle, but you could also weigh it and divide by 8.

These do indeed taste more eggy, but I was going for something lighter than the usual chaffle that won't put me to sleep after I have a sandwich at work. They remind me of the old Atkins Rev Rolls made with whipped egg whites and cottage cheese. You'll notice there's holes in them, but the only way to avoid that would be to overflow the waffle maker.

They were starting to stick after 3 or 4 of them, so I used a bit of oil spray. Here's the nutrition breakdown for 2 whaffles, not including the oil:

68 cal
2 g fat
2 g carb
11 g protein

*I used LeanFit brand, which contains xanthan gum. You might want to add that if you use a brand without it. Based on how it turns gummy when I mix it with yogurt, it probably adds to the stability of baked goods. If you're avoiding dairy, another type of protein powder *might* work, but I've never tried it.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Sep-21-20 at 01:42.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-21, 15:15
Forum Moderator

BF:

My more recent tweak on a chaffle with a good P:E ratio: similar to above.

1 egg
1/2 c egg whites
1/2 c cottage cheese (I use 1%)
1 scoop whey protein or combination of whey and pea protein
1/8 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 Tbsp psyllium
1 Tbsp coconut flour

You can vary the amounts of these ingredients somewhat. You could probably skip the xanthan gum and psyllium, but I like how they improve the texture. The coconut flour seems to make the batter easier to deal with, without making them taste coconutty. I made these with half of the whey substituted with pea protein, and I noticed no particular taste difference. I never tried it with all pea protein, though.

Makes 6 (sometimes 7). Nutrition for 2 (assuming 6 total: )

132 cal
3 g fat
7 g carb - 2 g fiber = 5 net
20 g protein

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Sep-06-23 at 17:08.