Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 19:49

Plan: atkins nutritional
Stats: 140// Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I am new here...way to get away from anorexic ways

Hello. I am Delaney. I am newer here. I began LC-ing 6 days ago as a way to get away from eating veggies and fruit soooo much. I had a very narrow diet...I was anorexic my junior year of high school, I am going to be a college sophomore now. I have not lost weight like I did during my junior year, but i have remained "underweight for my height" since then. I was wondering, seeing that I am normal weight now, will I gain or lose by LC-ing? I am confused. I read some other posts and I am not clear as to people have gained LC-ing or lost while they are of normal weight to begin with. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 20:15

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

I think whether a person gains or loses depends on how many calories they eat. When I'm trying to gain muscle I eat more, still LC, and gain. I eat low carb as a healthy way of eating, but gaining or loseing will depend on how much you eat.

hope that helps!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 20:22

Plan: induction
Stats: 203/202/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I don't think it's a set rule for everyone, but My girlfriend who is 5'7" (130lbs) did induction 2 weeks, no weighing in- in that time, gained 3 lbs. I just think if you are normally eating 1000 calories aday, w/ carbs and go to 1500+calories w/o carbs, either you"ll say the same or gain, For her Anytime she goes over a certain amout of calories, she gains. and she doesn't exersice at all.
OH by the way ..wrong wrong wrong about the no veggies on Atkins!..It's not a bacon eggs and mayo diet, but people really don't realize that till they read the book.. or this forum.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 01:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/135/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hey,
I thought I would reply as my stats are pretty similar to your (except I am 5'7")...I have battled anorexia for about three years, but have been doing better this summer since I started sticking to a low carb diet. I have been doing the CAD, but am thinking about just doing Atkins because if I have any carbs my cravings go thru the roof. Insanely, at the beggining of summer I did a week fruit fast and actually gained a few pounds getting up to my highest ever weight of 138...I am now down to 125 with the low carb - but I am having a very hard time losing anymore weight but notice my clothing getting loser anyway...anyways I guess the answer to your question is although you may not be losing weight right away or very slowly with low carb, you may be replacing fat with lean body mass - a good thing - especially if you weren't eating protein before you had probably lost some LBM...I know I did (I was down to 100 pounds at my lowest...sick no muscle)...sorry that was long...anyway stay in touch if you like...I am pretty new to this as well
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 05:17

Plan: atkins nutritional
Stats: 140// Female 5'9"
BF:

In response to DarthRaidr ...I know that atkins is more than meat. We can have veggies also. I have three of the books at home and I read them a lot...I read two of them fully before beginning. Thanks for your concern though! It is nice to know that people are looking out for one another here!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 17:24

Plan: induction
Stats: 203/202/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 2%

well you knew more than me then..I always thought the Atkins was all the meat you can eat and that's all. Boy was I wrong, and since finding this site (about a month ago) wow so many choices especially after that induction period.
also when you have the occasional trip off the wagon.. there are no I told you so's!That's the best!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 15:52
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I CAN HELP RID ANEREXIA WAYS because I HAVE DONE IT BEFOREEE!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 07:22
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 143/140/115 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Giasbash,

i have read your other posts and have a couple of questions for you about your diet, and what you do/dont eat in your LC menu. i would appreciate it if you would answer some questions for me whenever you have a chance. Thanks
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I would love to answer questions: lay em' on me!!
Gigi
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 08:35
Registered Member

BF:
Question heres the questions

Giasbash,
Thanks for offering to answer my questions, here goes:
i was just wondering what your typical diet looks like, what you eat, what you avoid, if you work out and how much? i saw that you avoid dairy, i like it but i think that i may be lactose intolerant as it hurts my stomach when i eat it and i think that it stalls my weightloss. basically any other tips that you have on how you lost all that weight would be greatly appreciated i really want to do this the healthy way, because last year i lost about 30 lbs the very unhealthy way and our stories sounded kinda similiar so i was wondering what your new 'healthy way' of doing things was. i have been eating lowcarb for about 2 years now but i think i really need to fine tune things to lose this weight by summer i only have about 20lbs to go and any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated thanks
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 16:43
Registered Member

BF:
Default Giasbash where are you

Giasbash i hope you come back i posted those questions for you!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Talking Im back!!

SmileMile:
You miss me!! Im back to answer!!
Alright well as you know I do avoid ALL dairy products and if they dont make you feel well, you should too!! I dont eat any soy products either so their goes having SOY milk or any of that stuff! I also do no eat breads,pastas, you know those BAD CARBS..BUT I do eat LOTS of veggies...ie...cabbage,eggplant,lettuce,bell peppers, etc.... and TONS OF MEAT..ie...chicken/turkey breast,ostrich,buffallo,elk,TONS OF ALL FISH(not fried of course!!)---the meats I DONT eat are pork, grain-fed beef and lamb, I find them abit too fatty...
I also disclude fruits from my diet, but if you like em keep em...I dont eat them because they have too much sugar and do cause a bit of a weight gain, trust me I did a little expereience and i plateued at a weight for a while, but then when I cut out fruit again I started to loose!
What I do for excersice: I wear a pedometer and try to get 10,000+ steps a day! Right now I have just about 18000(im just obsessed with getting steps, its SO MUCH FUN, I make it a game!!) Once in awhile Ill get on the floor and do some pushups 2, Im kinda lazy in the weights department, thats my only flaw to my healthy living!!! I hope ALL of that helped, and if you have any other QUESTIONS IM ME: giasbash6260(AIM screen name) or just post another message!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 00:53

Plan: atkins/south beach
Stats: 112/112/100 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Post recovering anorexic/frutarian/eating disorders in general

hey guys, amazing to have looked at this
i was previously anoreixc and bullemic and went down to about 6 stones (84 pounds), and my period stopped for nearly a year..

Although i have gained weight now and recovered i still constantly want to lose weight or maintain it at this level, and have been through loads and loads of diets....i did mostly do a fruitarian diet where i ate only fruit and veg to an excessive amount...

However, i want to try this atkins diet, and don't know wot to do...i'm scared of looking at mayonnaise and all the fat, but apparnatly its necessary?

thank u so much, please reply!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 19:08

Plan: Atkins vegetarian
Stats: 160/160/120 Female 170 cms
BF:

In response to kat, i know exactly what you mean. I too have been suffering ED's for te last 10 years and have been there and done that. Fat was always a no-no as was meat (im now vegetarian) and bread and junk food. With restricting i hurt and tortured myself for many years. I have been in recovery for the last year and with therapy and alot of soul searching im trying to now gain a normal healthy weight. I no longer weigh myself and my judge on my weight is how i feel and how i fit into my clothes. I suggest you try eating small portions of low carb high fat foods and try to make it a fullfilling experience rather than a torturous one. Excercise too, that will make you feel a little bit better about the whole process. Just be careful, my biggest flaw, is resticting and skipping meals. Its hard but if you are aware of yourself you can stop it. If you need any help just post in my journal and ill try to respond.