Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 13:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/205/190 Male 6-0 ft
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Beer

I'm planning to do the South Beach Diet. I don't think it will be that hard, as my cafateria has a lot of options.

I also excersize a lot, lift weights, and play a lot of sports.

One thing I know is going to be a problem is beer. We usually drink a lot of beer on the weekends. I'm someone that likes to get drunk, it's not a deal with peer pressure or anything.

I think I could deal with just drinking one night a week. But I'm a big guy and have a big tolerance. As bad as it sounds, I drink to get drunk.

Anybody have any experience LCing and drinking beer. I guess I could do some liquor but I do love my beer and its a big part of what we do, as bad as that sounds.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 13:52

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

There are low carb beers, but even they are quite high. Bingeing is something we are all trying to stop doing while lcing, and this includes alcohol.

A few drinks a week are fine, but drinking to get wasted all the time will only end up with a severely damaged liver, and possible addiction. I've went down that road myself, and it is not fun.

Also after lcing for awhile most people also find their alcohol tolerance goes wayyyy down. Some who used to take a dozen to "feel it" can now get loopy on just a couple.

You are correct, that most hard liquors are either very very low in carbs, if not completely void of them, so they are a better choice. However remeber that your body will use the alcohol as fuel first, so it is a very common staller, even if you keep carbs very low.

(and sorry, I hope I don't sound preachy, it wasnt my intention)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 17:02

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 165/127/130 Female 5'7
BF: BMI:26%/20%/20%
Progress: 109%

I was a pretty big beer drinker before I started the South Beach Diet but you just have to make the conscious decision to change your eating AND drinking habits. I just switched from beer to rum and cokes (diet coke that is!) and now I can look great and still have a great time at parties. By the way I am in college right now and have been on SBD since June and it is easy and it works!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 12:40

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 153.0/144.8/130.0 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

I am doing the Atinks but I share the love of beer like you & so does my boyfriend. We both drink Micelob Ultra (or if we have to Miller Lite). He lost 40+ lbs (going from 220 to 174) and I lost 30 (but quit the diet & put some back on). I drank two nights per week Fri & Sat. My boyfriend drank probably 3 or 4 nights per week. As long as you work out and stick to eating right, in our experiences, it has not affected our weightloss.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 03:54

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

If you give up the beer for a while, you may find that it takes less to get a buzz. I used to drink like a fish as a teenager (not something to brag about, I realise) but now at 24, since I hardly drink at all anymore, I don't need more than one beer to start feeling fuzzy...

Also, I lost weight just prior to my wedding a couple years ago, and although I did not drink a LOT I did drink during that time.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 22:15

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%
Default I noticed a slightly lower tolerance

I'm not really into beer, I prefer gin . I did notice feeling a little bit dizzy, which normally doesn't happen to me.