Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1876   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 09:26

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Still looks good. I would work up to increasing the OOO. It helps with a lot of other things besides candida also. It's powerful and wondrous stuff.
Thanks, Zul! When you say work up to increasing the OoO, are you suggesting I increase to a higher intake greater than 4 drops 2x daily? If so, in your opinion, what upper limit would you suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
What about other supplements? To get well you need a good supplement program. And, of course, some vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium.
I am currently taking a few other supplements in addition to my anti-candida regimen: magnesium glycinate (500 mg, split throughout meals), bone meal bowder (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus), biotin, L-Glutamine amino acid powder and tablets (good for intestinal repair), Garden of Life Icelandic Cod Liver Oil (4000 IUs of natural vitamin A/tsp. and I think 200 IUs of natural vitamin D/tsp.) at least 2 teaspoons/day), coloidal minerals in my filtered water, acidopholus pearl 1 before breakfast daily (by Enzymatic Therapy I think), and digestive enzyme capsule 1 before each meal. Oh, and I also season my food with Morton's salt substitute here and there to get a little potassium. I think I've got everything covered, but please let me know if you think I'm missing something essential.

Thanks and take care,
Sponsored Links
  #1877   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 09:42
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayppers
Thanks, Zul! When you say work up to increasing the OoO, are you suggesting I increase to a higher intake greater than 4 drops 2x daily? If so, in your opinion, what upper limit would you suggest?

I am currently taking a few other supplements in addition to my anti-candida regimen: magnesium glycinate (500 mg, split throughout meals), bone meal bowder (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus), biotin, L-Glutamine amino acid powder and tablets (good for intestinal repair), Garden of Life Icelandic Cod Liver Oil (4000 IUs of natural vitamin A/tsp. and I think 200 IUs of natural vitamin D/tsp.) at least 2 teaspoons/day), coloidal minerals in my filtered water, acidopholus pearl 1 before breakfast daily (by Enzymatic Therapy I think), and digestive enzyme capsule 1 before each meal. Oh, and I also season my food with Morton's salt substitute here and there to get a little potassium. I think I've got everything covered, but please let me know if you think I'm missing something essential.

Thanks and take care,
You can work the OOO up to 12-16 drops a day in divided doses. It doesn't have to be 16 but if you're ever feeling like you're coming down with a cold it's nice to increase OOO.

Vitamin D definitelly needs to be increased; 800 IUs is nothing effective, especially during winter. Vitamin D is good for intestinal health and mineral absorbtion also.
  #1878   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 12:21

BF:

Thanks, Zul! I'll work on increasing my OoO intake to a larger dosage.

What daily level of natural Vitamin D are you recommending? After factoring in the eggs I eat, etc., I get on average approx. 1000 IUs of natural vitamin D (from animal products) per day. I heavily avoid synthetic/non-natural forms of vitamin D. Can you outline some type of source and dosage plan that would be optimal? I prefer to get my D from fish liver oils, eggs, and liver. I have sources that I rely on heavily that state a daily intake at 1000 IUs per day is very good. Could you provide me with credible sources that state a higher intake is more optimal?

Thanks and take care!
  #1879   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 12:56

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Hi Jason,

Zuleikaa talks about is Vitamin D3 cholecalciferol.
There are several different types of Vitamin D

Here is a great summary about high dose Vitamin D.
The Great Vitamin D Experiment posted by Zuleikaa ...
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=266549

FYI: I take about 10,000 - 16,000IU of Vitamin D during the winter months- Lesser amounts during the summer as I am a great sun worshiper.

Last edited by NYNikki : Tue, Feb-06-07 at 13:05.
  #1880   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 13:20
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNikki
Hi Jason,

Zuleikaa talks about is Vitamin D3 cholecalciferol.
There are several different types of Vitamin D

Here is a great summary about high dose Vitamin D.
The Great Vitamin D Experiment posted by Zuleikaa ...
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=266549

FYI: I take about 10,000 - 16,000IU of Vitamin D during the winter months- Lesser amounts during the summer as I am a great sun worshiper.
What Nikki said.
  #1881   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 06:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/161/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Very interesting thread just ordered Oil of Oregano 60 caps for 13.90 free shipping online..will take 7 days to get here, can't wait to start using it
  #1882   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 10:42

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

When I starting taking OOO - I had a hard time with die-off effects which now proves how badly I needed the OOO.

After my dedicated clean up process of taking OOO, I realized the initial die-off period was well worth it and produced great benefits afterwards.

Now I take OOO as maintaince or (as Zul suggested) when people around me are sickly - mostly winter months when we are closed up in tight quarters. These days when I increase my OOO - I don't feel any die-off symptoms as my body is now in a much healthy state.
  #1883   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 13:28

BF:

I've been on 3 drops 2 times daily of Oil of Oregano for 3 days now and I've been very drowsy the past few days. My eyes get heavy and I feel like I could nap. This usually hits me in the afternoon. I normally don't feel quite so drowsy during the day. Should I scale down my dose per day and work up more slowly? If so, could anyone suggest a good beginning dosage and incrementing plan? I can bear the drowsiness, especially since the weekend is almost upon us, but perhaps I'm overloading my system with die-off?

The good thing is that I don't have ANY bloating today. I did have some gas yesterday and this morning upon waking, which is unusual for me, and no bloating is also unusual for me, but I'm welcoming it with open arms. I'm hoping it continues and is a result of candida control! Wish me luck.

Last edited by Jayppers : Thu, Feb-08-07 at 13:48.
  #1884   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 14:27
Currently Fascinated

Plan: M&E/Atkins
Stats: 225/150/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Quite Possibly
Progress: 75%

My OoO capsules came today. I'm wondering if I should start them since I'm home for the next few days, even though I've been having digestive issues already (or maybe because I am?), or if I should wait for the 5000IU vitamin D capsules to come in. Also, I was thinking of starting with 1 and working up to 4. Suggestions?

Or maybe I should wait to take them at all?
  #1885   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 15:02
Finding the Pieces

BF:

#1886   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 15:03
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Take them now and take a lot of them.

Depending on your health history you can experience mild to moderate digestive iissues and flu like symptoms.

Get as much over with while you have days at home.

One is useless...take four at a time.

JMO.
  #1887   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 15:41
Currently Fascinated

Plan: M&E/Atkins
Stats: 225/150/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Quite Possibly
Progress: 75%

Thanks, Zuleika... I took 4, and I'll take more later. Guess we'll see what happens!
  #1888   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 19:07

BF:

I think my initial die-off is over - YAY! I had some SERIOUS drowsiness and brain fog during the first week, OMG. I thought I would just fall forward and my head would hit my computer screen for several days there. Now my energy is coming back much better. I think this is a sure sign I've got some candida troubles. I can certainly say that my bloating has improved markedly. Yay OoO! Here's hoping it will only get better!

I'm still on 3 drops 2x daily. I'm going to continue at this dose.
  #1889   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 09:53

BF:

OK, I think I may have spoken too soon. I'm up to my second diarrhea/loose stool this morning since waking up (it's about 11 AM now). I really hope that this is cleansing and not me just getting ill. I otherwise feel OK - actually more clear-headed than before, but the D and gas keeps coming. My tummy is grumbly as well. If I press on it a little, it'll make this gurgly sound, and dare I press too hard b/c then I'm off to the restroom. The beautiful thing is that I'm still not bloated and distended like I used to be almost all the time. I guess it almost seems too good to be true and I'm skeptical I guess, because I struggled with it for so long!

The increased D and loose stools also began around the same time I began increasing my L-Glutamine (free powder). I'm doing about 3 grams in water on an empty stomach when I wake up, before lunch, and at night after dinner. So, that's about roughly 10 grams per day. Could this just not be agreeing with my stomach, or am I really cleansing? I guess I'm just skeptical - I dunno why.

Thanks to ANYONE for their input in advance!
  #1890   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 15:14
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Why so much l-glutamine? Are you having cravings? Bodybuilding? If not, cut it down.

You'r probably cleansing. Do the stools really stink? If so, it's cleansing. Drink a lot of water to help thinks along.