Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1816   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 19:26

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

House back, laundry done, bed made up, towels all fresh- sparkling new! Trash out and everything put back into place! I had a good time- I really did, but life has a way of being complicated.

I got new they (job) are adding more responsibility to our positions. I am actively now really looking . I spent a dam good while look today and didn't see anything.

Today is Tue and I am looking forward to the weekend. I didn't get much sleep last night. I was up from 230-430- in a stimulating conversation regarding hormones and weight gain. I know just what everyone does at 330 am right!!!!???????-
But Gary Taubles had a new lecture out- that I was listening too and my fiend who is just as into this as I am was listening too- and we poured some wine and started chatting about the issue with hormones, weight loss and science and Keto- so interesting.
no hokey pokey-melding of working minds at 3 am!!!!!- makes for a tired Jaz today!

Then I moved a ton- well actually 2.2 ton of rock that I got dumped on my driveway and had to put in my cack yard along the fence line and then used as a lining for a tree! It really was 2.2 tons weighed. I felt bad because my friend sprained his back and pulled a muscle in his leg. I said I would hire it done- oh no........ he wanted to flaunt muscle and do it.....
I don't move crap that heavy- I moved the light rock. It looks pretty now though.
He will be on aspirin for a few days- nothing serious- I hope.

I had the cod/crab cakes for dinner- so so. It didn't go over big. I was not a fan.
I have pork chop and sausage left of the dinners.
BTW- LORI- I called them and let them now I was missing a pork chop and they were very good about adjusting for next week. I will give it another go ask see. Is your kale ever bad???I noticed I pulled out the kale today and it was wilted and the claiflower was molding????-

Oh well- got to get some sleep- tomorrow full day.

Trig- I am so happy you are having a blast!

Blue- I am glad the pool thing is working. But worried about you being overwhelmed. That is no joke!!!!!!!!! It wears on us!!!!1- Stress is no joke!!!!!!

Lori- can't wait to see what doctor says!

Leeann- you are the busy one - that is for sure

NIte ladies
Sponsored Links
  #1817   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 05:03

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Up at 3:30 to let the cat out and I went back to bed until 6. DH is going with our Grandson15 to our daughter's today to help her with some yard work. She lives just over an hour from us.

Jaz.....I'm so sorry you're not having a good experience with Green Chef. Everything I have received has been lovely and fresh. The only thing I did with the kale was to rinse it as I noticed it had some sand on it, no big deal. I have certainly not had anything moldy or spoiled. When mine comes, the ice is still solidly frozen and I prepare the meals within 3 or 4 days. My order comes today and I'll make 1 of the meals tonight.

Trig....hope you're finding some prizes with your metal detector! Have you ever found anything really valuable? Fun!

Nic.....biggest congratulations to your son on his school results!

Scary situation at your MOW delivery! Is the dog usually a problem when you deliver there?

Yes....I have always had an android phone. I've never had experience with the Apple side of things. An engineer I used to work with always recommended Android, so that's the direction I followed years ago.

Blue....hope things improve now that they've come to a head with your work issue. It's always something! So awesome that you're doing so well on plan and enjoying your pool jogs.

I opened my eating window early yesterday......just too hungry. I had not eaten well on Monday afternoon, so I knew I needed some good food(eggs & bacon) by around 10 yesterday. Today I should be able to wait until at least Noon before eating and it will most likely be bacon and eggs again.

My Arthrogram & CT scan are tomorrow. Not looking forward to the needles. I won't get any results until June 24 when my Dr. returns from vacation. A part of me hopes there is something wrong to explain the pain and lack of mobility, but the other side is I really don't want to have surgery and go thru that recovery! ACK!! Just sick of the whole mess!

Not sure what I'll do today. My mojo is still missing, so probably not much. It is cool this morning but beautiful sunshine.

Happy Hump day!
  #1818   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 05:35

BF:

Good Morning EVERYONE- Challenge day 3

Ehwww- woke up with a bit of tummy trouble- excuse the graphic - but I sure got a colon clean, minus a test afterward! Don't know what did that. I can get that way with stress too- and it's my fist day back after a much needed rest.

My rocks around the tree look so pretty- in a curb side appeal way! I also took the weeds out of the front flower bed, weeds were overgrowing. Nice now!

I am surprised Lori- you aren't here first? Sleeping in? - nope- I see you just posted as I am still typing!!!! HAHAHAHA
How are you feeling lately? I was a bit curious about you not being able to eat for your testing tomorrow. What are you having done? A scan?????
Yea well Green leaf was really nice about it. It could have just been an unlucky box- no biggie. For the most part I like the idea, and the convience. It has been good anyway because I had kale here anyway! - I just didn't want charged for it. - so they are taking it off the next box. I am getting salmon- and hope its good!

TRIG-- Are you all set up? Do you have a shower part for outside so you are not dragging sand in the RV? Are you having a great time?

Nic-
- scary story on MOW. That really struck a cord with me. We as workers who go to peoples homes never know what to expect when we show up to a strangers home. Alot of times in a neighborhood that usually isn't stellar. Yea- I am so glad you weren't hurt. This is one of the reasons I want out of this position. I am not comfortable going to the "hood"- myself! Sometimes you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time for the right reason and it still goes south! Real life!!!!

Gosh can you believe we are another school year down????

BLUE- - I know you wrote a blip about that silver platuim hair. Do you know I came across a article on the process it takes to get it. It is a triple process and takes over 6 weeks to finally get that hair. You need to strip it- strip it again and then add shimmer silver.
All they have to do is wait about 50 years- and it happens for FREE!!!! - hahahaha- although it is a different color. I think it is a stunning look. Especially if you can pull off the jewel tones in clothes- and have the "winter" color palette. I don't- I am more fall. Oranges, greens, rust, beiges, off white, green blue.
Remember that- Color me beautiful?

Did you play in the pool this weekend? I guess today is Wed. HAHAHAHAHAH- it has felt like a weekend- today feels like a Monday.
------------------------------------------
My gut is ripping me up- I really think it's either something I ate/ or stress. I say that because I was having a great time a couple days ago- but needed to sign in to clock my time off - I had forgotten. Anyway my friend was watching me. He made one comment and I almost snapped back a snarky remark.I didn't mean to. He said "wow" the change is stark when you are looking at work.

I apologized and didn't even realize how much it colors my world. - today I wake up "sick". It is time.

I am only up that pound- yea it stuck. But I am still down 5 and will keep my position sizes down a bit.
I have been listening however to Both Robert Lustig and Gary Taubles - they are both doing research on the influence of hormones
on people on Keto that are gaining weight do to HORMONES!!!- I am most interested. They both said- LCHF IS THE WAY TO GO! However there are a FEW people that start gaining weight after being on it for awhile. I really want to explore what research they are doing?

For someone like me who eats clean 99% of the time - of course I am super curious!

Ok- time for next mug of Joe- then off into my day! Pork chop tonight- or leftover crab cake- either is fine. My gut hurts right now- so nothing sounds real good.

100% today- and WATER TOO!!!!!!!!- have not been great on that front!

Last edited by Jaz66 : Wed, Jun-12-19 at 06:45.
  #1819   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 16:25

BF:

Jaz....I'm having both an Arthrogram & a CT scan with contrast. I'm not supposed to eat 4 hours before the testing.

My Green Chef box came by Fedex at 10AM. Meat was between 2 big ice packs both frozen solid. I guess that's a benefit of living in a rural area, my deliveries can get here in a more timely manner maybe?

Tonight I made Smoky Chicken with Cojito. It was very good. Chicken was seared on the stove top and then some spicy vegetable broth poured over it and into the oven for 12 minutes. Meanwhile, I sauteed some onions, garlic and cabbage. They also included some cumin seeds for the cabbage....I had never cooked with them....very good! There was also a viniagrette to put on the cabbage/onion dish. When chicken was finished, I put that aside and then put the broth on the stove to reduce a bit and then throw in some butter. You drizzle the pan sauce over the chicken and cabbage and sprinkle with the cojito cheese. All these things I would never make and I'm quite enjoying it.

I did good with my eating today, but still haven't gotten my exercise mojo back. I feel like I'm in a holding pattern until I get a diagnosis on this arm. I'm probably just using it as an excuse, truth be told. It is what it is.

Hope it's been a good day for all!
  #1820   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 05:20

BF:

Good Morning! Challenge day 4

Lori- Your meal sounds yummy! I just got notified that my box has been shipped and it will take TWO days to get here!!!- Maybe sitting in trucks for days is the issue. My packs were cool to touch but not frozen- and the box was wet. I will see what this week looks like. I get it Saturday!
I have plans Saturday- so it will be sitting in the sun for a few hours possibly.
It is possible that the distribution center is closer to you. I ordered that chicken dish as well!

Fingers crossed that your tests go well today and you get some answers!
Please keep us posted! I know you have really struggled with that arm!

Trig- I know you are playing hard! Send a pic of your set up!!!

NIC/ BLUE- HELLO!!!!!- Hope you are well!
  #1821   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 05:49

BF:

Good Morning!

Stayed in bed until 6:30 this morning! Who am I??? Cat was in, but didn't get me up...what a good girl!

I think I'll have a cup of Keto coffee to hold me thru my testing. As long as I finish it by 8:30, I'm golden. After that, nothing but a few sips of water. I should be home from testing by 3 this afternoon. I'll be a hungry girl!

A rainy, dreary day today. Time for more coffee. Have a good one!
  #1822   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 06:14

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

dreary day here, waiting on last of storms to move out and stay the heck out!

5pm dolphin tour on boat....will it happen? no clue just yet, will wait to see what weather does. might have to reschedule?

eating is spot on
checked out fishing pier between raindrops and ended up eating out. steamed shrimp and side salad for me. Bite of hubby's crab cake, delish, but just too much breadcrumbs in it for me to consider eating a whole one. a lot of great crab in it tho, chunky, the way I love it and handmade, not processed so it was good. Kid got scallop alfredo in bacon/shallot cream sauce. I spooned some sauce, yum. I ate a scallop in that sauce, yum....then I was stuffed. Eating very little means I fill up so fast now....I love that!! Still feeling lighter so that means something good I hope

ok, gotta walk doggie fast before storm comes again, getting dark and figure out dolphin thing and thinking of detecting on the beach but sky looks real iffy....so....have fun guys, we are trying between raindrops!
  #1823   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 06:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 198/195/156 Male 69.5 inches
BF:26.5/26.5/21.5
Progress: 7%

All, still working out every weekday morning. Had a few tablespoons of rice last night with Indian chicken takeout. Otherwise staying strict. The almond milk is working great now with my cappuccino. Can’t believe how many carbs that cuts out for me. Should’a got on that a long time ago. Thanks to you guys for that tip. Finishing up at school today and tomorrow. The kids are really great! Leaving Saturday afternoon for bike trip. Gotta stay on plan. This is my summer make or break moment. Found a two gram yogurt at Stop and Shop. Great lunch with a piece of chicken!
Steadyed
  #1824   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 11:14

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Blue- the eggs and swipe of jam thing sounds yummy! Good idea!

Trig- Sorry you guys are getting rain on your trip. Sounds like you all are still having fun though and that you are firmly on plan.

Jaz- Moving a 2 tons of rocks? I cannot imagine!! I am pretty wimpy about stuff like that!

Seems like Green Chef hasn't been great so far for you.

I definitely wouldn't be comfortable going out into 'the hood' either, Jaz. Luckily my MoW is in my county, very safe, and while CASA has taken me to places that are a little rougher than what I am used to, they don't feel inherently unsafe.

Ed- you are doing great! Are you talking about the 2 good yogurt? I like that stuff. Yum.

Lori- Yay for getting some sleep! I hope your tests go well and you can get some answers.

Did I tell you that DS17 fell off his skateboard about 2- 2.5 weeks ago and his arm is still hurting him? We have a brace coming from Amazon today and he has his well check on Monday so if it is still bothering him I'll ask the Dr about it. Hoping there isn't a hairline fracture or anything.

•••••

Things are fine here- been pretty busy the last couple of days. Today I had an 8 AM meeting, then went and did CASA. Came back and fixed brunch around 11:30 or so. I've got some laundry going and DD is on her way over. She had her last day with students until some time in July.

Yesterday got in a bunch of steps- took a walk with a friend 2.5 miles and then also mowed the grass. Ended about 12k for the day.

Today it is rainy and chilly so probably won't do much but might go to the 50+ center if I feel up to it. We'll see. Hate to break my streak!

Food this week has not been stellar. No awful, but not stellar. Overall hanging in there though.
  #1825   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 13:37

BF:

Well....test is over. It went fairly quickly and the CT scan part was really quick. The Arthrogram when they injected the contrast fluid into my shoulder was not fun AT ALL. Intense pressure all the way to my elbow. They use lidocaine so you don't have pain from the needle. The Radiologist couldn't understand why I had pain(pressure) all the way down my arm. I'm not sure, but it was the same achy pain that I sometimes wake up with. He said he would stop if I needed him to, but he had just a little bit to go and I told him to finish. The assistant re-positioned my arm so that helped me get thru it. Also, I was lying flat on my back, which is never ideal. In bed I always have a pillow under my left shoulder.

I'm glad it's done. Now I just wait until my Dr. appt. on 6/24 for the results. Timing not great since Dr. is on vacation for 2 weeks, but that's the way it goes.

Today was not an on plan day as I had a "feeling sorry for myself" treat a few minutes ago. No biggie.

Nic...hope your son's arm is ok. Wonder if the Dr. will want to xray it?

Enjoy you evening everyone. Tomorrow is Friday already??
  #1826   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 15:39

BF:

loved the full check in today- Blue is our late poster (no pressure) LOLOLOLO

Lori- glad your test over.

Trig- so proud- you are rocking this!- yes once in the zone take it and run! I am thinking weather going to clear- beautiful here

Nic- you are doing great with the steps you are getting in. ay to knock those out. You sound super busy! How are you liking the new part time gig?

Blue- Hello- whats shaking in your world?

Greg- I LOVE coconut milk too! nice swap! Like the fact you seem very committed!
--------------------------------
Made a modified version of the dinner I got from Green Leaf- int was the sausage and squash and cherry tomatoes. I added kale and feta- goodness it was good. Enough left due to extra veggie for tomorrow

Real tired- coming off of sleep till when ever to setting a clock is a jolt.
I had 2 blips in the last week- gained back my 6 and 1 more to boot- can you say toss in the towel!!!!! not bloat. It does not take much for me to gain. I just can't have treats- end of story
  #1827   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 19:18

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all.

Trig---I just love that you've got this detector hobby. Literally looking for buried treasure. I can see how it could get almost mesmerizing watching that thing swing back and forth and waiting for a signal.

Lori---Sorry that test was painful---I hate it when hospital people tell you "there will be some discomfort" because it's often not discomfort, it's pain---there's a diff between the two. But it's over now, fingers crossed for you that there is a diagnosis AND a solution.

Jaz---Good news/bad news, LOL. I don't agree w/you, but my opinion is less disheartening. No, I don't think you've gained 6 pounds of real weight in one week, even w/two treat meals. I believe at LEAST half of that is bloat, if not even 4 or 5 pounds of it. Google "can I gain 6 pounds in one week and you'll find a lot of articles that agree w/me.

And I don't think it's possible to never have a treat. Or at least no one on this board has proved it is. Idea is to make the treats as few and far between as works for you. My bet? If you stick tight to plan and drink plenty of water at least half of this gain will be gone in a week or so.

Nic---Not sure you mentioned son's skateboard fall, if you did I missed it. My doc bro spent a year working in the ER before starting his specialty many years ago, and said the most prevalent injuries were from skate boarders. But what are ya gonna do? The boys love them, and some girls too. Hope T's arm gets better before you have to do the doctor thing.

Steady---

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got on the scale today. 1.5 pounds down from last time for a total of 3 pounds lost in a month of challenges and really staying on plan for the first time in forever. I have always lost slowly, and it sure ain't getting any faster. But it is SO motivating to see some loss.

And, I feel thinner than just 3 pounds gone, and my clothes agree w/me.

Today, feeling motivated by the scale for a change, I spent some time reading more about keto. Sometimes this motivates me. But gals today it irritated me, LOL. OMG, the difference in opinions, what to do, what not to do---cut out your BPC!, Too much protein! Too much fat! Tweak your macros! Cut your calories! If you're going to eat green, eat Kale! (HA, I finally realized, I do not like Kale).

So here's what I've been thinking for me. I know most of the important stuff about Keto/LC. I know what works for me and what doesn't. Not to say I'm opposed to learning something new, but largely what is most helpful for me in that regard is new easy LC recipes and tricks.

What I DO NEED is to remember so many things I've forgotten about being steady on plan. First and foremost for me is that wow, I somehow forgot that eventually staying on plan decreases your cravings and your appetite! Such a simple basic truth about LC, and yet I somehow misplaced it.

The first week back on board w/my first "5 day challenge"---which was just what I needed at just the time I needed it, was A LOT harder than this last week on plan. Why? Because YES, my appetite and cravings for carbs have decreased. Markedly.

Slowly I'm working myself back into the zone. I KNOW that zone exists, have experienced it and enjoyed it for large expanses of time.

Also, keeping up with my every other day pool jog. I know this is going to sound, um I dunno for a gal who hasn't exercised in too long, but I have to be careful w/how I view exercise. I can get obsessed w/it real fast, and have and did in the past. This never worked out well for me in the end. I have had the pull to go down every night now, discomfort when it's pouring rain or too cool to do it on my usual schedule. I have to not go there. Every other night when I can, and when I can't, fine to make it up when it's doable. Ha, slug on the sofa or bat out of hell. My challenge is to find the in-between. Always.

So, Laurie---I think it's OK, maybe even good for you to not exercise for awhile. I know that will never be permanent for you. But fact is you don't know what exercise is helping or hurting right now. And I just want to note that as little as I've moved my butt in recent years, doesn't mean I don't understand how much exercise can become so needful. Finding balance w/it, and understanding when it's not helpful is yet another challenge.

Last edited by Blue52 : Thu, Jun-13-19 at 19:27.
  #1828   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 20:35

BF:

Blue- I think it is wonderful to have the WANT to go swim at night- NOTHING wrong with an evening swim. Even if it's every night- you are decompressing and it is so relaxing! I loved it and would be right there with you if I had the change. It just takes stress right off of you. nothing obsessive about an evening pool 30 minute swim. Very healthy and awesome!

Yes you are right- my 6-7 pounds is MOSTLY water/ fluid. I am just SO tired of the bounce. Ya feel me??????? Dang!!!!!-

Hey though yea for you! Slow and steady girl is the WAY TO GO !!!!

- night all- I will be back in AM

Dinner was right on track
  #1829   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 03:37

BF:

Good Morning!

It feels chilly this morning! I even broke out the fuzzy slippers this morning! This is mid-June?? Highs to be only in the 60's today. Weird weather for sure.

The shoulder is a bit stiff this morning, but really not much more than normal. I wonder what happens to all that contrast fluid that they pumped into the joint. Does it just get absorbed somehow?

Not doing too much today. Tonight we have a little party to go to. The Director of the Rec Authority where DH works part-time is leaving, so they're having a going away party for her. Will be a casual affair, but should be nice. All I know is that I don't have to worry about making dinner tonight! Yay!

Speaking of dinner, last night I made another Green Chef meal. It was Merguez spiced salmon. So, so good. DH just loved the spice(Merguez) that was on the salmon. I tried to find the blend on Amazon, but no luck. It is a combo of Paprika, Cumin, Fennel, Cinnamon and maybe a few other things. Anyway, it was perfect on the salmon. The info with the recipe said it is a North African inspired spice. The side was a curry made with spiced tomatoes & green pepper & onion and also some cauliflower rice as another side.

Blue......Hooray on your great weight loss this month! That is so awesome. Loosing the carb cravings and enjoying the pool exercise...perfect combo.

Jaz...I agree with Blue....no way you gained 6 lbs of fat from a couple treats. Sounds like that darn bloat has got you again. Ugh.

Nic...12K steps!! I'm impressed. You say your eating has not been stellar, but all your activity is certainly taking care of that! Rock on!

Trig....have you found any treasure? Hope the weather has improved a bit for you. Have you been able to get in the water at all?

Ok....that's it from me. Off for more coffee and a quiet morning.

#1830   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 05:31

BF:

TGIF!!!!!- Challenge Day 5

I hope you all finish strong! - I know this last week was not my best- having a house guest and schedule outta whack is not a great mix. But I am right back on the LC wagon!

Lori- I agree this weather is crazy- super hot, then rain day after day- then dry no rain in sight- then cool. It is all over the place! This is SUMMER!!?? - Crazy! I will take it over snow and ice any day though!!!!!-
Today is sunny and awesome- not a cloud in the sky and 82!

Hoping you get a chance to get out and about!!!!!

TRIG-
- is time flying by? What has been your highlight so far?

NIC- you are for sure getting your steps in. You must have gotten your watch fixed or replaced! Do you find it bothers your wrist? Is it water proof? I din't like the band I had- it was hard to use!
So - your kids are in summer mode I would think by now! I got my dime stamp lawn cut yesterday too! But I have someone do it- good for you to do it. I am not a fan of lawn anything! But I love it when it looks great!
Do you use your grill much?

Blue- see above post! - I do hope you get your pool on today! And YEA YEA YEA for the scale going down and slow and steady STAYS OFF!!!!

Steady- - whats on your weekend agenda?
-------------------------------------------------------------
have great day all
Closed Thread